To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 21 2013, 11:00 AM   #1
BlueStuff
Rear Admiral

And the Children Shall Lead

What's up with those food cards?! I really must be missing something here because I don't see how you can apparently have any variety of food you wish from a small handful of wooden cards.

At one point in this (abysmal) episode, the last child wants chocolate marble and pistachio. Nurse Chapel picks a card and is about to put it into the slot, then the kid says, "And peach". Well, she has a card for that, too, apparently. And she was only holding two cards! So they just happened to be "Chocolate marble and pistachio" and "Chocolate marble and pistachio with peach"?!

Furthermore, was that kid afraid of, or allergic to, the colour WHITE?!! What was the point of that sequence? Was it supposed to show how cute kids are with their arbitrary tastes? Was it supposed to be funny?
BlueStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: And the Children Shall Lead

I do have the same questions but haven't been able to come up with good answers, either.

Almost seems that those "tapes" have some voice recognition chip inside or something like that. There are strange things going on in this epsode.

And considering the multitude of Chinese names in California, I still wonder why of all the Chinese names (for the couple of the Starnes expedition) they picked "Tsing Tao".
Maybe that was supposed to be funny, but my concept of humor is apparently somewhat different.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Melakon
Vice Admiral

We really don't know how those food synthesizers work. It might have something to do with what order the menu tapes are inserted, and any unmarked buttons are pressed on the synthesizer dispenser. I try not to think about some of the third season episodes too much.
Old August 21 2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Grant
Fleet Captain

Always hated that part too.

"I want cookies and cream with caramel and nuts."

"Wow, one of the 3 cards I'm holding is cookies and cream with caramel and nuts!"
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 12:08 AM   #5
Timo
Admiral

What we see happen in this episode doesn't appear to have anything to do with how food dispensers or memory cards actually work. It's a game to keep children entertained, is all. Chapel makes up the rules, and no doubt adjusts them as needed to keep the kids happy.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 12:16 AM   #6
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

More information at this old post:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...4&postcount=13

BlueStuff wrote: View Post
What's up with those food cards?! I really must be missing something here because I don't see how you can apparently have any variety of food you wish from a small handful of wooden cards.

At one point in this (abysmal) episode, the last child wants chocolate marble and pistachio. Nurse Chapel picks a card and is about to put it into the slot, then the kid says, "And peach". Well, she has a card for that, too, apparently. And she was only holding two cards! So they just happened to be "Chocolate marble and pistachio" and "Chocolate marble and pistachio with peach"?!

Furthermore, was that kid afraid of, or allergic to, the colour WHITE?!! What was the point of that sequence? Was it supposed to show how cute kids are with their arbitrary tastes? Was it supposed to be funny?
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 01:53 AM   #7
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post

That about nails it down. The idea was that the kids were choosing from flavors they could see on the cards. But in the end, it's just another terrible scene in a terrible episode, leavened by Majel Barrett's total lack of charisma.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 02:02 AM   #8
Push The Button
Captain

Maybe Picard learned of the events in this episode, and that is why he was so leery of having children on board Enterprise-D.

Oh, and Melvin Belli dressed in a shower curtain..some things you just can't un-see.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 07:13 AM   #9
CrazyMatt
Commander

This episode is so awful--it's one of the few I can't bear to watch unless forced to at gunpoint (or just about)--that the contradictions and plot inanities (is that a word?)don't register with me.
Old August 22 2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Gents, I think you are being to harsh. From a treknological point of view this episode features some intersting "firsts".

We finally got to see the banner of the United Federation of Planets (was that one of the flags in the Season One hearing room and if yes, what was the other?), and we finally got to see the Season Three recreation room we had previously missed (because that scene from "Elaan of Troyius" had been abandoned on the floor of the editing room).

It was nice to see the Auxiliary Control Room again and the episode had a good shocker, just to imagine that those two security crewmen had beamed into the vacuum of space.

Okay, the premise that Sulu would take daggers in space for real is outrageously naive , but despite the many flaws there are still a few items that are worth seeing.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 10:59 AM   #11
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
More information at this old post:

The cards we see match up pretty well with the stuff the kids yelled out.
My take is that this wasn't a requirement. All the card could have been the exact same color and the children could have still ordered different favors. When the children announced which favors they wish, Chapel handed them a colored card that was reasonable close to the selection.

When that one kid wanted to reorder, Chapel could have simply used the same card the kid used the first time, but choose to employ a different card.

As noted above, there was the element of a game to it.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 02:31 PM   #12
bbailey861
Admiral

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
This episode is so awful--it's one of the few I can't bear to watch unless forced to at gunpoint (or just about)
Yup. This one is at the very bottom of my TOS watch list.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 05:59 PM   #13
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

One of the worst episodes ever. It's almost unwatchable.
Old August 22 2013, 06:19 PM   #14
BlueStuff
Rear Admiral

Hail, hail fire and snow, call the angel we will go, far away, for to see, friendly angel come to me!

If you think about it Gorgon was actually pretty twisted and scary. At least he would have been if he were played by a real actor, not a famous lawyer. But his motives and actions were really quite unsettling. He drives grown-ups to suicide through sheer terror (or maybe they just read the script) and controls children with the promise of "a million friends" to play with. The fact that he wore a sparkling robe and is referred to as "friendly angel" actually makes him seem even more twisted. At least, in theory. In actuality he's quite laughable. But I can appreciate the idea.

And I still crack up at the thought of those kids with their mind control via fist pumping.
Old August 22 2013, 06:20 PM   #15
BlueStuff
Rear Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Gents, I think you are being to harsh. From a treknological point of view this episode features some intersting "firsts".

We finally got to see the banner of the United Federation of Planets
That banner was hideous!