Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 15 2013, 10:25 PM   #16
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Re: BABYLON 5 - First time watching series

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The greatest live-action sci-fi show ever made. Don't listen to the haters, Season 1 is terrific and has many strong episodes. Certainly much better than TNG S1 and S2.

I strongly recommend not skipping The Gathering.
^^^
QFT.

I also recommend not skipping The Gathering. Try to see both versions of The Gathering if you haver the chance to. I actually prefer the original verison, myself. It has a less slick, kinda funky vibe that appeals to me.
Old August 15 2013, 11:04 PM   #17
Mr Light
Admiral

Parliament of Dreams is my favorite episode in the first half of Season One, it's just really well written and lots of fun and turns G'Kar into a great comedic character rather than the one dimensional bad guy we'd seen prior to that. It was the first episode that JMS wrote after production began, so he had a chance to see the sets and actors and how it was all working out and adjust accordingly.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 05:10 PM   #18
Dream
Admiral

Episode 6: Mind War
A rogue telepath with powerful abilities arrive on the station, and two PSI Cops are after him.

Great episode. This episode really expands the universe of Babylon 5, when learn about the Psi Corps and Psi-Cops. They seem to be a shadowy part of the government like Section 31 from DS9, and not nice people at all. The fugitive telepath Jason is on the run and we find out from him about the "experiments" about creating weaponized telepaths and perhaps the Psi Corps taking over the Earth government, which I'm assuming is completely true and will be followed on in future episodes. Some of Talia's background is covered along with her connection with Jason.

Babylon 5 is already doing a MUCH better job with its telepaths than Trek ever did with its barely developed Betazoid race and Troi. I like how the telepath are used more as weapons and tools, instead of being on the bridge and always telling the commander how distrustful the alien of the week is. They also have their own "rules".

I love how Talia is so professional and doesn't need to wear stupid catsuits to look sexy. I have say all the coin moving reminded me of "Looper" which I watched recently!

Also special guest star, Walter Koenig! Nice seeing him again. Were Trek fans upset about him being on a rival Sci Fi franchise at the same time as the later Trek shows were on?

Episode 7: The War Prayer
A racist group is terrorizing aliens on Babylon 5.

The moment Susan's former boyfriend appeared, I already pegged him as a member of the racist humans. My villain radar went off so fast it wasn't funny. It was strange seeing racist humans, since I've been so used to the humans of Trek.

The "plot" to eliminate all the major alien leaders didn't appear be thought out very well. Killing all four major ambassadors on the station, and everywhere else on Earth seems too large scale. Way too many things could have gone wrong.

It was nice to finally get confirmation about all the major alien representatives on the station though: G'Kar, Londo, Delenn, and wild card Kosh? Kosh's armor/suit looks awesome, and it is great how secretive they are making the Vorlon race right now.

There were a couple of lines referring to "the incident" involving Kosh being poisoned through the hand in the past. I'm assuming this event was covered in "The Gathering"?

The B plot about the two Centauri teens running away together to get away from an arranged marriage was pretty meh, but I guess it was connected well enough to the A plot. I guess it was also there to show that Londo is a decent guy since he helped them.

Episode 8: And the Sky Full of Stars
Sinclair is kidnapped and forced to relive painful memories that he had thought he had lost.

BIG MYTHOLOGY EPISODE?! I'm assuming this episode will become huge in the near future.

The plot to kidnap Sinclair and the VR interrogation was by the numbers, even reusing sets from station (reminded me of the Bashir running around in an empty DS9 station in his head episode).

What REALLY interested me was the memories he had apparently forgotten near the end of the war. Apparently the Minbari (I just now realize it was Delenn's race) was going to destroy Earth in a war, except when they finally surrender for no reason. The scene with him surrounded by the cloak figures was pretty creepy. Sinclair looks to have been involved somehow.

I'm very surprised we haven't seeing more hostility/resentment between the humans and Minbari after that kind of war. You just can't expect people to let that go even after 10 years.

The episode ends on an ominous note with a Minbari stranger appearing in Delenn's quarters telling Delenn that she must kill Sinclair if he ever remembers the truth. My theory is that the Minbari were interrupted from destroying Earth by a more powerful race. I don't know why something like that would need to be kept a secret though.

Episode 9: Deathwalker
A war criminal is discovered on the station, who may have the means to create an immortality drug.

Okay episode, after the previous three good episodes. The "dilemma" never worked for me. I always thought the Deathwalker should be punished for her crimes of genocide, especially since she was so damn smug about it. The immortally drug felt too good to every work or last, the trope/cliche about the Fountain of Youth never being being found or be allowed to be kept around was present here (it was what doomed Star Trek: Insurrection), so I was so expecting the Deathwalker to get shanked before the episode ended.

Kosh saves this episode at the end by ordering one of his ships to blow the criminal up, and shrugs at the silly aliens around him. He should have done that the moment they discovered who she was!

Episode 10: Believers
An alien couple wants to allow their son to die instead of getting a life saving surgery from Dr. Franklin.

A good filler episode. As a doctor, Franklin obviously wants to save the boy. The entire argument is about whether the boy should be saved or allowed to die because of the parents' religion. Each side had a point.

The B plot with Susan saving the families felt a bit like a time waster, and only there to end the episode on a more positive note.
Old August 16 2013, 05:28 PM   #19
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

@Dream: 'Welcome to the club'.

I personally don't find The Gathering to be all that critically essential, but 'to each their own'.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 06:15 PM   #20
Aeon
Commander

Mind War is a great episode and G'Kar really gets a chance to shine and show a different, perhaps a bit more compassionate side.

"Let me pass on to you the one thing I've learned about this place. No one here is exactly what he appears. Not Mollari, not Delenn, not Sinclair... and not me."

So true. And that thing about ants... cool stuff!
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 06:45 PM   #21
MacLeod
Admiral

Well the question as to 'Why The Minbari surrended at the Battle of Line, on the eve of victory' is one of the big questions of the first season. The Pilot "The Gathering" alludes to certain events in "And The Sky Full of Stars..". And the TV Movie "In The Beginning" expands on events glimpsed in "And The Sky Full of Stars..." But I would recommend watching that after you watched S5. But I'm not going to say anything else to avoid spoilers.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 07:17 PM   #22
Jan
Commodore

I know I say this every time we have a new viewer but I *so* envy you your first two viewings of the series, Dreamer! Looking forward to your further posts.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 08:49 PM   #23
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Jan wrote: View Post
I know I say this every time we have a new viewer but I *so* envy you your first two viewings of the series, Dreamer! Looking forward to your further posts.

Jan
It gives you a reason to look forward to the forgetfulness of old age, so you can view it all again, seemingly for the first time

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 08:53 PM   #24
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

...or you could drink more.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 12:35 AM   #25
Mr Light
Admiral

The Human-Minbari enmity was covered more in the Gathering pilot, I guess it is a little absent in these eps...

War Prayer and Believers are two of my least favorite episodes.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 12:40 AM   #26
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Believers irks me a great deal.
Old August 17 2013, 01:45 AM   #27
Dream
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
The Human-Minbari enmity was covered more in the Gathering pilot, I guess it is a little absent in these eps...
The Human-Minbari enmity should really be much more important in the first season. The two groups of people should nearly always be at each others throats. I think it would have been more realistic if Sinclair had started the season as someone who hated Minbaris because of his time in the war, but put that aside to work at peace. Maybe have his friendship with Delenn develop along the way.

At this point the so called huge war between humans and Minbari didn't leave much of an impact. It feels like it took place 50 years ago instead of 10.

Look at G'Kar and Londo's treatment of each other. It actually feels more real because of how much G'Kar resents Londo's people for invading Narn world(s) in the past.

DonIago wrote: View Post
Believers irks me a great deal.
Is it right for parents to refuse life saving surgical treatment for their child because of their beliefs? I don't think so, but of course I'm only applying that to real life.

All the different alien races really complicate things. All four major ambassadors G'Kar, Londo, Delenn, and Kosh refused to get involved for different reasons. Sinclair also refused because of his policy.

But the parents killing the boy was unnecessary. They should have been charged with murder since the crime took place on the station. For some reason the parents aren't mentioned again after that scene which bugged me. I think the episode could have still worked if the boy had ended up as an outcast, and shunned by his race. The writing could have still saved the boy, but at a big price.

At least Sinclair had to balls to ask Shon whether he wanted to live or follow his faith and die. I think Sinclair would have allowed the surgery if the boy had wanted to live.

Janeway never cared about Tuvix's desire to live, and literally shoved Tuvix on the transporter screaming "You die now!". Tuvix was dead the moment he appeared on the transporter.

Last edited by Dream; August 17 2013 at 02:55 AM.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 02:03 AM   #28
DonIago
Rear Admiral

I'm not condoning the parents' actions, but I'm not comfortable assuming that my beliefs should somehow take precedence over others' either. Moral superiority is a very dangerous place to go.

I thought Franklin's behavior wasn't exactly stellar either. I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd had his license revoked for what he did here.

Ah, screw it. I would have liked it if instead of the parents killing the kid, the kid killed himself instead.
Old August 17 2013, 02:37 AM   #29
Dream
Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
I'm not condoning the parents' actions, but I'm not comfortable assuming that my beliefs should somehow take precedence over others' either. Moral superiority is a very dangerous place to go.
Sinclair had a good point about staying neutral through the whole thing. I'm assuming he always has to listen to everyone when it comes to these matters. The station seems much more of a community, than an Earth Alliance space station commanded by an Earth commander.

I thought Franklin's behavior wasn't exactly stellar either. I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd had his license revoked for what he did here.
Franklin's level of insubordination was crazy. He really should have just followed his orders, instead of going behind Sinclair's back and against the parents wishes.

Ah, screw it. I would have liked it if instead of the parents killing the kid, the kid killed himself instead.
I was actually expecting that to happen. The kid already looked dead the moment he was leaving with his parents. I can't believe that they didn't suspect the boy was still in any danger after all that, they should have gone all the way put him in an orphanage for his own safety or something.
Old August 17 2013, 02:59 AM   #30
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

It took guts to have the parents kill the boy, especially back in the 1990s. Star Trek never would've killed the boy, he would have been healed and forgiven through. Maybe, they would've been gutsy enough to have him become an outcast (And/or kill himself), like in that one episode where Riker contaminates the androgynous 3rd procreation partner (Progenitor?), but, they would never have had the guts to play it out like B5 did.

B5 is the UN in Space, you have to respect other cultures and not interfere or impose your values, you have to choose those battles imposing your will carefully and be willing to ride them as far as they lead.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote