Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old August 23 2013, 01:22 PM   #256
KaraBear
Captain

Re: common misconceptions about Voyager

We only ever kind of got that with the main cast and in truth, the only person in the main cast that ever gave us the sense of "I REALLY WANT TO GET HOME" was Harry. Everyone else was just very nonchalant about the whole ordeal. It would have been nice digging deeper and getting a stronger sense of "We're stranded".

If you look at some of the crew members, like for example Tom and B'Elanna, they don't have strong motivation to get back to the AQ. In the AQ Tom is a criminal serving a jail sentence, and B'Elanna is a maquis with a father who she hasn't seen since she was 5 or 6 and a mother who hasn't talked to her in 10 years. For both of them their lives ar much better on Voyager. B'Elanna is the chief engineer and Tom is a respected officer. If they made it back to the AQ quickly Tom would likely go back to jail and probably so would B'Elanna, chakotay and the rest of the Maquis on the ship
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:48 PM   #257
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Tom got the remainder of his sentence cleared for leading Janeway to Chakotay's cell.

He was free and clear.

Even when he frakked that up in Non Sequitor by picking a fight with the Ferengi, he was still out in less than a year.

The Maquis deserved a cell.

The Equinox 5 doubly so.

And both groups were idiots for not having their day in court on Voyager when they still had leverage.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:03 PM   #258
KaraBear
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Tom got the remainder of his sentence cleared for leading Janeway to Chakotay's cell.

He was free and clear.

Even when he frakked that up in Non Sequitor by picking a fight with the Ferengi, he was still out in less than a year.

The Maquis deserved a cell.

The Equinox 5 doubly so.

And both groups were idiots for not having their day in court on Voyager when they still had leverage.
There's nothing canon to say that he was cleared for helping Janeway. In Caretaker Janeway told him they would just give him some good words at his next review. That's it.

And yea the Equinox people, another example of peolple who are better off on Voyager than going back to the AQ
Old August 23 2013, 05:02 PM   #259
BruntFCA
Commander

Lighthammer wrote: View Post
You would have thought the producers of one of the series would have gotten the idea "Hey, resources are a LITTLE HARDER to manage then we're making them out to seem".
Yea, I won't deny there were some episodes that touched on it, but far too few.

It's like Voyager had episodes where they were tapped for resources --- but far too few.
I always thought that the few references to lack of resources on VOY felt out of place in the Star Trek universe. TNG showed 24th century tech to be essentially magic so VOY should have had no trouble sustaining itself for years IMO.
Old August 23 2013, 05:14 PM   #260
MacLeod
Admiral

^Then they shouldn't have called attention to it ever. If a writers brings the audiances attention to something/point/event etc.. be it a novel/film or TV episode. The audinace is not at fault for holding them to what they have written. If the writter wants to get out of what they have written before then they should address it. i.e. the 38 torpedeos they can't replace. All you need do is have a throwaway line in one episode saying they have managed to find a way to manufacture more. Sci-Fi fans esp ST fans are well known for fnit-picking for a lack of a better term.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 05:15 PM   #261
KaraBear
Captain

oops, double post
Old August 23 2013, 05:17 PM   #262
KaraBear
Captain

BruntFCA wrote: View Post
You would have thought the producers of one of the series would have gotten the idea "Hey, resources are a LITTLE HARDER to manage then we're making them out to seem".
Yea, I won't deny there were some episodes that touched on it, but far too few.

It's like Voyager had episodes where they were tapped for resources --- but far too few.
I always thought that the few references to lack of resources on VOY felt out of place in the Star Trek universe. TNG showed 24th century tech to be essentially magic so VOY should have had no trouble sustaining itself for years IMO.
tha't the thing, as long as they were able to get dilithium they should have no trouble running their systems.

Also newer ships are able to recrystalize dilithium

and because people hate the episodes so much it's often overlooked that in Threshold a new kind of dilithium was discovered in the delta quadrant that remained stable at much higher reaction rates, allowing a vessel to travel more efficiently at much higher speeds
Old August 23 2013, 05:20 PM   #263
BruntFCA
Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
^Then they shouldn't have called attention to it ever. If a writers brings the audiances attention to something/point/event etc.. be it a novel/film or TV episode. The audinace is not at fault for holding them to what they have written. If the writter wants to get out of what they have written before then they should address it. i.e. the 38 torpedeos they can't replace. All you need do is have a throwaway line in one episode saying they have managed to find a way to manufacture more. Sci-Fi fans esp ST fans are well known for fnit-picking for a lack of a better term.
That's my point, resources never should have been an issue to begin with.
Old August 23 2013, 05:37 PM   #264
MacLeod
Admiral

But as the writers called attention to it, critising them for not holding themselves to what they themselves wrote is perfectly fair and valid.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old August 23 2013, 05:38 PM   #265
BruntFCA
Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
But as the writers called attention to it, critising them for not holding themselves to what they themselves wrote is perfectly fair and valid.
Absolutely.
Old August 23 2013, 07:42 PM   #266
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Since the ship apparently had a near unlimited ability to replenish itself, and it was in communication with the Federation by season 4, shouldn't the crew have switched over to the First Contact uniforms?
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 07:55 PM   #267
KaraBear
Captain

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
Since the ship apparently had a near unlimited ability to replenish itself, and it was in communication with the Federation by season 4, shouldn't the crew have switched over to the First Contact uniforms?
I would have liked them to, those were my favorite uniforms. But from the production point of view maybe they wanted to kee them in their uniforms to differentiate between the shows
Old August 23 2013, 07:59 PM   #268
R. Star
Rear Admiral

If they were a resource plagued ship it would've made perfect sense for them to stick with what they had.... but Voyager was always running at 100%.
Old August 23 2013, 08:09 PM   #269
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

KaraBear wrote: View Post
Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
I would have liked them to, those were my favorite uniforms. But from the production point of view maybe they wanted to kee them in their uniforms to differentiate between the shows
Mulgrew looked good in Nemesis!

IDK. I think that new uniforms would have acted like a fresh coat of paint. Perhaps they could have introduced the work version of the First Contact uniform, or something more in line with the Drive race suits.

As for new uniforms, I would think they would always need to manufacture them given wear and changes in the crew's girth.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 08:28 PM   #270
MacLeod
Admiral

Perhaps it was a way to seperate them from the films/DSN so as to not confuse the casual viewer.