Retro Review: Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
By: Michelle on Jan 24

Urban in Aquaman?
By: T'Bonz on Jan 23

Pegg Co-writing Star Trek 3
By: T'Bonz on Jan 22

Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old August 15 2013, 10:08 PM   #31
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: is babylon 5 season 5 worth watching

Disagree, but even if it were true that would hardly matter on a DVD marathon.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 10:17 PM   #32
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
To the OP: If you have the option of doing so, start Season 5 immediately after watching Rising Star. The Deconstruction of Falling Stars is much better viewed as the last episode of Season 5 - and the series proper itself - than as the last episode of Season 4.
But, then you lose out on assuming who the Red head is in the scene in DoFS with Garibaldi being held Hostage

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 10:21 PM   #33
Harvey
Admiral

If you thought seasons 1-4 were worth watching, then it's worth it to see the fifth season.

I think it makes some serious missteps, and the fidelity to the one year per season formula excludes getting to some more interesting plot developments that are only alluded to, but it still has its moments. The finale is superb.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 11:00 PM   #34
Mr Light
Admiral

View Mr Light's Twitter Profile

In Season Five I only thought there were four excellent episodes (All My Dreams, Movements, Fate CPrime, Sleeping Light). The rest were average to terrible. Well, "Kingdom Blind" was good.
Old August 15 2013, 11:13 PM   #35
kirk55555
Commodore

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The Deconstruction of Falling Stars is my favourite episode of the show. Dunno why anybody should delay watching it.
If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell myself to delay watching it forever
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 11:21 PM   #36
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Wow, didn't know it was so hated.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 11:39 PM   #37
Mr Light
Admiral

I find Deconstruction to be pretty average. Not good, not bad. Just kinda there. It has some cool ideas, but the execution is so-so. And the Orwellian thing is so badly written and over the top. And it's so lame that the Garibaldi computer program is able to hack their systems and do so much damage in the five minutes he's active. Please. And the news program interviews were lame as well. The only really cool part was the ending with the Future Human and it was all too brief.
Old August 15 2013, 11:54 PM   #38
kirk55555
Commodore

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Wow, didn't know it was so hated.
Yeah, when I was watching B5, I raged about it in the thread I had here about the show. I found the post I made about it

Also, I almost forgot about Illusion of Truth (I've tried to surpess my memories of IoT and TDoFS, but as soon as I hear the titles it all comes rushing back ). As much as I liked the main story of season four, when it was bad it was horrible. The season overall was good, but it really got on my nerves at times (there have never been meeker, stupider humans in a sci fi series than the earth civilians and 90% of Earth military in B5). To this day I don't count TDoFS as cannon to the show in my mind. If I did, the series would almost be ruined by what it did.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 12:38 AM   #39
Mr Light
Admiral

The sun went nova prematurely because their enemy was detonating it. It's in the episode. The computer voice gives a warning about abnormal readings or some such.
Old August 16 2013, 01:17 AM   #40
Snaploud
Admiral

^Also, my understanding is that the sun is not massive enough to go nova except by artificial means.

Mr Light wrote: View Post
And it's so lame that the Garibaldi computer program is able to hack their systems and do so much damage in the five minutes he's active.
I got the impression that an outside force had given Garibaldi's program the extra abilities.
Snaploud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 01:57 PM   #41
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I figured I ought to clarify why I don't like TDoFS as the Season 4 finale: it literally has NOTHING to do with the season, and it doesn't even do much in terms of setting up Season 5; yes, there's some 'flash-forward' stuff from S5 in the episode, but I didn't find it to be that critically important as retroactive foreshadowing.

The story worked much better, for me, as the series finale because you have the context of the S5 'flash-forwarding', you've seen what Delenn is talking about when she talks about Sheridan, and you've seen a pattern established of episodes being told from the POV of characters other than the main cast.

To each their own, though.
Old August 16 2013, 03:20 PM   #42
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I figured I ought to clarify why I don't like TDoFS as the Season 4 finale: it literally has NOTHING to do with the season, and it doesn't even do much in terms of setting up Season 5; yes, there's some 'flash-forward' stuff from S5 in the episode, but I didn't find it to be that critically important as retroactive foreshadowing.

The story worked much better, for me, as the series finale because you have the context of the S5 'flash-forwarding', you've seen what Delenn is talking about when she talks about Sheridan, and you've seen a pattern established of episodes being told from the POV of characters other than the main cast.

To each their own, though.
There's also that little niggle about John and Delenn getting married. If you cut out DoFS, then they're living together out of nowhere

Old August 16 2013, 03:49 PM   #43
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Eh, I still prefer the tease of S5 that DoFS has to offer. That falls apart if you don't watch it in sequence.

Also I much prefer SiL as the final episode to DoFS, given that I find a lot of the longer-term stuff in DoFS fairly depressing. Sure SiL makes me cry, but overall it's a pretty good sendoff.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 04:22 PM   #44
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
There's also that little niggle about John and Delenn getting married. If you cut out DoFS, then they're living together out of nowhere
The end of Rising Star shows their marriage, so moving TDoFS doesn't affect that.

DonIago wrote: View Post
Eh, I still prefer the tease of S5 that DoFS has to offer. That falls apart if you don't watch it in sequence.

Also I much prefer SiL as the final episode to DoFS, given that I find a lot of the longer-term stuff in DoFS fairly depressing. Sure SiL makes me cry, but overall it's a pretty good sendoff.
Like I said, 'to each their own'.
Old August 16 2013, 04:38 PM   #45
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
The end of Rising Star shows their marriage, so moving TDoFS doesn't affect that.
Ooops , yea, sorry, thought that was the first scene of DoFS