Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 15 2013, 01:20 PM   #16
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Re: is babylon 5 season 5 worth watching

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Ignore J. Michael Straczynski's entire career after this franchise though. It's pretty unbelievable how uninspired a writer he seemingly instantly became after he finished Babylon 5.
Over at Marvel he had a good run on Thor, and a seriously amazing miniseries called The Twelve. Other than that, yeah.
Old August 15 2013, 01:23 PM   #17
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I honestly didn't think there was any drop in quality whatsoever between Season 5 and the four previous seasons, and personally liked Tracy Scoggins' Elizabeth Lockley.
Old August 15 2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Terror Door
Lieutenant Commander

Ignore J. Michael Straczynski's entire career after this franchise though. It's pretty unbelievable how uninspired a writer he seemingly instantly became after he finished Babylon 5.
Everyone please ignore this statement and read Midnight Nation.
Terror Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 03:39 PM   #19
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Terror Door wrote: View Post
I rather liked Jeremiah, even if some of the dialog was very B5-derivative.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 03:46 PM   #20
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Problems with S5:

1. Some people always thought Babylon 5 was only about the Shadows and Vorlons. These people obviously were disappointed with everything that came after The Shadows and Vorlons left.

2. Some people hate the Telepath arc, and even though it only takes up a little more than half of the episodes in the first half of the Season, many people don't remember anything else about the season than just the Telepath Arc.

3. Season 4 ended with such a bang, it couldn't be topped. Also, as mentioned, JMS thought S4 was going to be the end, so, some of that non-stop plot explosion of the final founr episodes of S4 was meant to be stretched out through the first 3 or 4 episodes of S5, and the beginning S5 Arc of the Telepaths was meant to start weaving into the canvas in late S4, so, there would've been more of a smooth ride from Episode 4.22 to 5.01. Because of that cancelation threat, and tying some stuff up a few episodes early, and not starting stuff that should be started, you pretty much have S5 starting as a cold start and you have the Arc growing pains of early S1, which caused many people to get a bad taste in their mouths for S5.

So, in the first half of S5, I think you have probably about half of them are pretty damned good, and a few pretty decent and a few that are fairly average. but, the second half of S5 is as good as the best point in the Series, IMHO. And remember, a fairly average Babylon 5 episode is much better than an episode of many other Series, so "fairly average" is not really a bad thing in comparison to many other shows, it's just that when compared to itself, Babylon has so many awesome episodes, it's hard for it to compete with itself.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 03:56 PM   #21
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I think one issue is that for the people who watched S5 when it originally aired we didn't have the benefit of immediately moving to the next episode...we had to wait at least a week. Any show with a weak run of episode (and I'd argue the first chunk of S5 isn't B5 at its height) will face the same conundrum...it's one thing to see it on DVD or what-not and be able to jump right through to the next episode; quite another to have to wait and hope for improvement...especially if it's airing for the first time so you don't even have the benefit of the advice of people who've already seen it.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 04:07 PM   #22
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
Terror Door wrote: View Post
I think the Angelina Jolie Movie Changeling was pretty awesome. He wrote a screenplay for World War Z, but, that got rewritten because it wasn't "Commercial enough" was too similar to the book, but, I'll bet many who didn't like the adaptation that was filmed would've preferreed JMS' Screenplay much more.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 06:31 PM   #23
Reverend
Rear Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I honestly didn't think there was any drop in quality whatsoever between Season 5 and the four previous seasons, and personally liked Tracy Scoggins' Elizabeth Lockley.
Seconded. She made a much better impression on me in one season than Ivanova & Franklin managed in two. Don't get me wrong, I love those guys, but IMO they didn't get really interesting until season 3.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 07:33 PM   #24
kirk55555
Commodore

Season 5 is good. It has its weak points (like byron), but its still a good season. I had some rather severe problems with certain things

but overall it was a good season of a great show. It doesn't have any spectacularly bad episodes from what I remember (although considering the fact that Season 4 ended with the worst episode of a Sci Fi show that I've ever seen, The Deconstruction of Falling Stars, its possible that it has some stinkers that just get over shadowed in my mind by that pile of garbage). The telepath arc is somewhat lame, but it doesn't ruin the season. If you liked the first 4 seasons, season 5 is a must watch.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 08:18 PM   #25
dansigal
Commander

Lindley wrote: View Post
Loved Jeremiah! Second season had some issues, but the first is a fun ride. I never would have thought I would have enjoyed Luke Perry so much in a role.

I know I know, getting a little off topic here.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 08:49 PM   #26
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

100% yes. If you haven't seen The Fall of Centauri Prime and Sleeping in Light then you haven't seen Babylon 5. Contrary to what some might say, it's only the first half of the season that's lacklustre. The second half is rather excellent. Even the first half has some good episodes.

Oh, and the opening credits/theme music are great.
Old August 15 2013, 09:07 PM   #27
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

To the OP: If you have the option of doing so, start Season 5 immediately after watching Rising Star. The Deconstruction of Falling Stars is much better viewed as the last episode of Season 5 - and the series proper itself - than as the last episode of Season 4.
Old August 15 2013, 09:09 PM   #28
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The Deconstruction of Falling Stars is my favourite episode of the show. Dunno why anybody should delay watching it.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 09:14 PM   #29
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Yeah, I like "Deconstruction..." and it sets up a scene (and alludes to other events) that occur during S5.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 09:17 PM   #30
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

The Deconstruction of Falling Stars is my favourite episode of the show. Dunno why anybody should delay watching it.
There's nothing wrong with the episode; it just doesn't really fit as the Season 4 finale.