RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,675
Members: 24,202
Currently online: 657
Newest member: wendelcarree

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 11 2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Shaka Zulu
Captain

The Right Stuff to come to Blu-Ray November 5

....go to Amazon to get it: The Right Stuff (30th Anniversary Edition)

I'm so stoked for this to be coming to Blu-Ray DVD, it should have been there already! Don't know if I will buy it myself, but I wanted to share the great news for those who love this movie, and want a great copy.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Re: The Right Stuff to come to Blu-Ray November 5

That's cool but it ain't SF.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 09:24 PM   #3
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
That's cool but it ain't SF.
That depends on who you ask.
Old August 11 2013, 09:52 PM   #4
publiusr
Commodore

I actually hated aspects of the book and movie. It was not sympathetic to engineers, and played up the pilots. Ironically, I find the overall involvement of the USAF to be detrimental to American space efforts. They robbed rocketry from the ABMA, where the Russians had artillerymen manning R-7 pads up until recently. They knew enough to keep Chief Designers in charge, not fighter jocks.

The Saturn IB dies, and the Titans took the Saturns place--the USAF influenced the size of the shuttle, and tried to force EELVs down NASA's throat.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 12:12 AM   #5
feek61
Commander

Loved the book; loved the movie.

It IS about time this one came out on BR. I've been waiting for a long time for this one. Thanks for posting!
Old August 12 2013, 12:39 AM   #6
Shaka Zulu
Captain

^You're welcome.
Old August 12 2013, 05:51 PM   #7
foxhot
Fleet Captain

View foxhot's Twitter Profile

It's the sixth finest film ever made. I'm still not a BluRayer, but I'll be watching for this for the first time in a theater at the AFI Silver in Maryland about one month from now.
Old August 14 2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Shaka Zulu
Captain

^Time for you to start being one; Blu-Ray players are dropping in price, and are at least a hundred dollars at most stores (don't buy anything other than the brands Toshiba, Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, Samsung, LG, JPC, and [maybe] Oppo.) The media's cheap, too.
Old August 14 2013, 06:08 PM   #9
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

foxhot, take the plunge. All your old DVDs will work on your BD player so you don't have to replace anything unless you want to.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 01:58 AM   #10
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I avoided seeing it in the theater because I had read William Goldman's experience of having his script thrown away and figured Kaufman was nuts (this despite my LOVING his BODY SNATCHERS remake.) When I finally saw it, I was pretty okay with it, outside of the too-easy humor potshots. I really really enjoy it now, but with the caveat that this is just a very subjective view of a much bigger story, seriously dramatized (I'm not saying it is a whitewash on the level of MISSISSIPPI BURNING, which fucks with history so much I'm embarrassed to admit I love it.)

Biggest problem with this on BR is that I can't imagine the extra resolution helping the effects shots ... there are tons of cuts with models on wires or attached to weather balloons and those are the kinds of things that become very problematic on modern home video unless you go back and paint them out. It's one reason I never upgraded from DVD to blu on BRAZIL, because I'm pretty sure the wires would be unmissable.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote