Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old August 14 2013, 08:14 PM   #16
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Voyager's Fallout From JJ ABRAM's movie

Enow wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
It's your imagination. I'm just saying it's a mistake to assume because something happened in the prime universe, it or something similar is going to happen in the rebootverse. I can tell you Abrams isn't working under that assumption and given he's changing the period of a universe that might not even have Cardassians in it, a hundred years before the setting of Voyager, it's really premature to say what will or won't happen in it later. Abrams really strikes me as being in the business of making movies rather than creating an elaborate universe for them. A subtle distinction, but it's there nonetheless. He may decide he wants Kirk to take on the Borg next movie because he thinks the fans will love it. He's not bound to anything that happened in the Primeverse. That's the whole point of a reboot. Take the same characters, a few plot points that you can cherry pick as you please and ignore the rest and turn out a "new" story.
Okay.

What would you like to see?
I think the rebootverse is going to end after the 3rd movie given that's what everyone is under contract for and Abrams already seems to be in the process of moving onto other things.

Voyager had the potential there to be the greatest of all the Trek series, but it never really realized it to me. It never had the "grit" that DS9 had despite the fact they're supposed to be roughing it, the Maquis were underused and Janeway was a textbook Mary Sue with some huge inconsistency issues. But the horse is dead and I don't think "rebooting" Voyager would have any positive effect or fan call. Everyone knows who Kirk and Spock are, even non-Trekkies. Ask about Janeway and Seven, and you'd get blank looks. Picard and Data, you might have -some- luck.

Honestly I think the future of the franchise right now is going to be in the novels. That definitely seems the only place the prime universe is going to grow and there's still more material out there than I've read. As for your interest in the rebootverse's future... it may well be in the novels too. I could see one of the novelists writing a myriad universes type novel set a 100 years after the 3rd movie.

Then again there's always the reboot of the reboot option... I could see Hollywood going for that...
Old August 14 2013, 08:19 PM   #17
Enow
Lieutenant

It's your imagination. I'm just saying it's a mistake to assume because something happened in the prime universe, it or something similar is going to happen in the rebootverse. I can tell you Abrams isn't working under that assumption and given he's changing the period of a universe that might not even have Cardassians in it, a hundred years before the setting of Voyager, it's really premature to say what will or won't happen in it later. Abrams really strikes me as being in the business of making movies rather than creating an elaborate universe for them. A subtle distinction, but it's there nonetheless. He may decide he wants Kirk to take on the Borg next movie because he thinks the fans will love it. He's not bound to anything that happened in the Primeverse. That's the whole point of a reboot. Take the same characters, a few plot points that you can cherry pick as you please and ignore the rest and turn out a "new" story.
Okay.

What would you like to see?
I think the rebootverse is going to end after the 3rd movie given that's what everyone is under contract for and Abrams already seems to be in the process of moving onto other things.

Voyager had the potential there to be the greatest of all the Trek series, but it never really realized it to me. It never had the "grit" that DS9 had despite the fact they're supposed to be roughing it, the Maquis were underused and Janeway was a textbook Mary Sue with some huge inconsistency issues. But the horse is dead and I don't think "rebooting" Voyager would have any positive effect or fan call. Everyone knows who Kirk and Spock are, even non-Trekkies. Ask about Janeway and Seven, and you'd get blank looks. Picard and Data, you might have -some- luck.

Honestly I think the future of the franchise right now is going to be in the novels. That definitely seems the only place the prime universe is going to grow and there's still more material out there than I've read. As for your interest in the rebootverse's future... it may well be in the novels too. I could see one of the novelists writing a myriad universes type novel set a 100 years after the 3rd movie.

Then again there's always the reboot of the reboot option... I could see Hollywood going for that...
Thanks for sharing your point of view.
Enow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 08:21 PM   #18
R. Star
Rear Admiral

No problem, probably not what you wanted to hear but thanks for hearing me out as they say.

Heck, I'm sure fanfictions will(if they haven't already) cropped up on this subject. It does give the creative people an easy, clean slate if nothing else.
Old August 14 2013, 08:24 PM   #19
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I don't know why my Norton notified me that I was under attack TWICE just a minute ago by two different means, but it does seem kind of odd that somebody from this forum would try to do that. I fail to see why.

Oh, yeah. I am saying it is from this forum. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Got something to say, then say it. It's people like you that turns people away from forums and why they lose activities.
If people here responded that way we'd all definitely know it by now! The site's been known to have trouble stemming from some of it's ads in the past, maybe it's that? I think there was a thread in Questions, Comments and Suggestions recently about it.
Old August 14 2013, 08:26 PM   #20
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Whatever happens, whatever changes are made to the timeline no matter how radical, I am sure of one thing: Someone will scan that Krenim torpedo in the Jefferies Tube!
Old August 14 2013, 08:31 PM   #21
R. Star
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I don't know why my Norton notified me that I was under attack TWICE just a minute ago by two different means, but it does seem kind of odd that somebody from this forum would try to do that. I fail to see why.

Oh, yeah. I am saying it is from this forum. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Got something to say, then say it. It's people like you that turns people away from forums and why they lose activities.
If people here responded that way we'd all definitely know it by now! The site's been known to have trouble stemming from some of it's ads in the past, maybe it's that? I think there was a thread in Questions, Comments and Suggestions recently about it.
Yeah, the ads here have been known to do that. It's really a double bladed sword, being the ads support the website(a worthy goal), though are through 3rd parties and can contain malware(which is trouble). Can't really make any proper suggestions beyond paying to become a premium member will get rid of the ads and the problem.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Whatever happens, whatever changes are made to the timeline no matter how radical, I am sure of one thing: Someone will scan that Krenim torpedo in the Jefferies Tube!
Old August 14 2013, 08:53 PM   #22
The Keeper
Commodore

I'd like the fallout to be NuVoyager becomes more interesting than the prime version was. Voyager was the only series whose episodes would regularly put me to sleep.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 10:43 PM   #23
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Vulcan angst has been cranked up to critical levels with the destruction of their planet so Tuvok and Vorik would be much bigger characters. Being so tragic and all.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 10:48 PM   #24
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Oh so Vorik and Torres might hit it off in the alt universe?
Old August 14 2013, 10:49 PM   #25
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

No because Torres doesn't go for angst. See: Paris

But Vorik would definitely have more of a chance with someone or other.. unless the edict from on high Vulcan was no mating ever with non-Vulcans, keep our dwindling race pure. Which seems likely to me.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 01:20 AM   #26
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Since I don't accept the Abramsverse as being any more valid than 5th-rate fanfiction, it has absolutely no effect whatsoever on how I see Voyager, think about the characters, or perceive the truly excellent Voyager fanfics I follow (our own Alpha Flyer has been writing a wonderful series about Captain Tom Paris (obviously post-Endgame).

And Nero was the 5th Roman Emperor. Having that name for a Romulan character is ridiculous in any universe, unless you want to postulate that the Romulans made contact with 1st-century Rome and liked the name so much that they borrowed it.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 01:31 AM   #27
Enow
Lieutenant

I guess I should scrap my speculations for that alternate Voyager's universe and just go in the direction of something else for my fanfiction, God be willing. Oh well.
Old August 15 2013, 01:41 AM   #28
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Tell the story you want to write. Don't try to base what it should be on other people's opinions before you've even started.
Old August 15 2013, 01:48 AM   #29
Enow
Lieutenant

Melakon wrote: View Post
Tell the story you want to write. Don't try to base what it should be on other people's opinions before you've even started.
Thanks. Just trying to find my creative stride for my own entertainment in writing it, but I wanted it to be close to the fall out as it possibly could, but I guess it doesn't matter.
Old August 15 2013, 02:05 AM   #30
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post

And Nero was the 5th Roman Emperor. Having that name for a Romulan character is ridiculous in any universe, unless you want to postulate that the Romulans made contact with 1st-century Rome and liked the name so much that they borrowed it.
Yeah the obscurity of that stemmed from the TOS days when their two home planets were Romulus and Remus. So if you want to pick the Nuverse for that, you need to pick at the prime verse too.

At least Commander Ceasar didn't attack the Federation at some point.