Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: What are your favorite Trek movies? Tick all that apply
Star Trek: The Motion Picture 51 36.17%
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan 120 85.11%
Star Trek III: The Search For Spock 52 36.88%
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home 85 60.28%
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier 19 13.48%
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country 99 70.21%
Star Trek Generations 29 20.57%
Star Trek: First Contact 92 65.25%
Star Trek: Insurrection 14 9.93%
Star Trek Nemesis 13 9.22%
Star Trek 75 53.19%
Star Trek Into Darkness 70 49.65%
Galaxy Quest 39 27.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 1 2013, 12:59 AM   #61
Nine of Four
Commander

Re: TrekBBS movie ranking thread!

Gojira wrote: View Post
Nine of Four wrote: View Post
I do believe if all the Trekkers in the world convened and voted, without a doubt "Wrath of Khan" would come out on top.
I am actually burned out on that one. Maybe I have seen it too many times?
We've all watched it too many times....

Gojira wrote: View Post
I don't know. I actually enjoy Star Trek III and IV much more these days. IV was always my favorite.
IV was the first Star Trek film I ever watched, I watched it when I was 6. I will forever be my favorite.....
Old September 3 2013, 11:30 PM   #62
ichab
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
ichab wrote: View Post

I don't know of ANYONE who thinks Batman and Robin are better than any of the Nolan films. It's pretty much regarded as one of the worse superhero films of all time and one that killed the franchise for a time.
Oh, I can think of at one poster on this very board who will tell you at great length how BATMAN & ROBIN is better than the Nolan films which he hates with a blazing, incandescent passion.

Not going to name names, because I don't feel like baiting him, but, trust me, there are people who feel that way . . . .
I'd say the number of people who prefer Batman & Robin over the Nolan trilogy is about the same number of people who prefer peanut butter on their pizza over pepperoni. I never doubted that there would be someone somewhere who would disagree, just that I've never met them and even if I did, they are still in the extreme minority on that view.
Old September 4 2013, 01:39 AM   #63
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I don't know of ANYONE who thinks Batman and Robin are better than any of the Nolan films. It's pretty much regarded as one of the worse superhero films of all time and one that killed the franchise for a time.
Oh, I can think of at one poster on this very board who will tell you at great length how BATMAN & ROBIN is better than the Nolan films which he hates with a blazing, incandescent passion.

Not going to name names, because I don't feel like baiting him, but, trust me, there are people who feel that way . . . .
I'd say the number of people who prefer Batman & Robin over the Nolan trilogy is about the same number of people who prefer peanut butter on their pizza over pepperoni. I never doubted that there would be someone somewhere who would disagree, just that I've never met them and even if I did, they are still in the extreme minority on that view.
True enough.

But how do you feel about pineapple on pizza?
Old September 4 2013, 08:36 AM   #64
Smellmet
Commander

^ I can take it or leave it...
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 08:44 AM   #65
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

"Hawaiian Style" was my favorite kind of pizza growing up. But I no longer eat meat so it's just the pineapple ... and other stuff.

I think it's the perfect topping. There's something about the citrusy sweetness the blends so well with the tangy mozzarella.

And, um, the pineapple is Adam West in this analogy, right? Cesar Romero sort of looked like a pineapple.
Old September 4 2013, 01:25 PM   #66
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

The best is pineapple with chillie flakes.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 04:46 PM   #67
sonak
Vice Admiral

I would guess that the only reason for that preference is if they preferred lighter or campier superheroes and thought the Nolan trilogy was too dark and serious. Taste is subjective, and I sometimes enjoy things that I know are of a lower quality, story-wise, just because they're more fun, or I'll dislike a well-written but overly violent movie because I don't like a lot of violence in movies that I watch.
Old September 4 2013, 10:05 PM   #68
Nine of Four
Commander

sonak wrote: View Post

I would guess that the only reason for that preference is if they preferred lighter or campier superheroes and thought the Nolan trilogy was too dark and serious. Taste is subjective, and I sometimes enjoy things that I know are of a lower quality, story-wise, just because they're more fun, or I'll dislike a well-written but overly violent movie because I don't like a lot of violence in movies that I watch.
I think Batman and Robin falls under the "so good it's bad category".....
Old September 5 2013, 03:08 AM   #69
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The only surprise is how many people voted for STVI, such a mediocre film in every way.

I voted for TWOK, STID and ST09, by far the three best films.
Old September 5 2013, 02:22 PM   #70
jpv2000
Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
The only surprise is how many people voted for STVI, such a mediocre film in every way.
I'm one of them.

The Undiscovered Country is my second favorite movie, right behind TWOK.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 10:19 PM   #71
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

ST VI is probably my third-favorite, after Khan and the one with the whales. I find it addictively compelling every time I watch it.
Old September 11 2013, 04:24 AM   #72
SJK91
Ensign

I have finally finished watching the Star Trek films. Phew.

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - 8.5/10
The best Trek film. It's exciting, well paced, and has one hell of a bad guy. Spock's death (and implied future) is such a powerful ending. Horner's score is magnificent.

2. Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) - 8/10
Gets A TON of hate, but I honestly thought it was great fun. Plot holes, yes, but great fun, and even a few touching scenes. Also a great villain with Benedict - though not as good as Montalban of course!

3. Star Trek (2009) - 7.5/10
A good origin story. Once again, some plot holes and I really don't care for Nero at all, but some great character moments.

4. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) - 7.5/10
A good way to end the TOS era of Star Trek. Plummer is a great bad guy, and the story is satisfyingly twisty/turny. Some unnecessary silliness, but still a good conclusion.

5. Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director's Edition (1979) - 7.5/10
A massively underrated film. It is too long, yes, but a very interesting and cerebral plot. Also, I just love the mood and tone of the film. Goldsmith's score is one of the best I've ever heard.

6. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) - 7/10
Actually a really funny and witty script. I just wish the plot was a little more fleshed out. It surely is wacky, but its such a fun time.

7. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1982) - 6/10
DeForrest Kelley steals the show. Spock's absence is sorely missed, though, and I dislike Robin Curtis as Saavik. Some witty moments in the script, but a slightly disappointing follow up to Khan.

8. Star Trek: First Contact (1996) - 6/10
The best of the Next Generation films, but still feels like a TV show, and pales in comparison (story-wise) to The Best of Both Worlds two parter.

9. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989) - 5/10
The problems with this film are obvious. However, the scene between Sybok and McCoy is truly stand-out, and is the film's only really good scene.

10. Star Trek: Nemesis (2002) - 5/10
Tom Hardy tries, but the script fails. It seems like the Next Generation cast has just run out of gas - and I never really thought any of their movies were that good in the first place.

11. Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 5/10
I really don't know what to say about this film. It exists, I suppose. There is absolutely NOTHING in the film that is memorable in anyway.

12. Star Trek: Generations (1994) - 4/10
In my mind, the only awful Trek film. The Next Generation cast (at least shown here) are not half as interesting as the TOS cast. Worse yet, the film pisses on Captain Kirk by giving him one of the worst death scenes in the history of film. Truly terrible.
SJK91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 11:32 AM   #73
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

I have voted:

1. TMP

To me, a seriously underrated movie. I love the epic feel of it, the tone. The plot is intelligent & grandiose. I love it.

2. The Wrath Of Khan

I cannot say anything more than millions of Trekkies have said already. It is an epic movie. Cerebral, tragic, exciting, dramatic...it has it all. Brilliant film.

3. The Voyage Home

This film should not work. A Trek comedy? Set on Earth? And yet...it totally does. It IS funny, the characters are fun and the movie is pure entertainment.

4. The Undiscovered Country

Definitely the black sheep of the franchise....this is arguably the best film in the franchise! It is balanced, has action, diplomacy, tension and drama. It feels like a more mature film than many others.

5. First Contact

FINALLY my beloved TNG has a film that is actually properly done. The Borg get the big screen treatment and it is full of all the action and drama that you would expect. Edge of your seat awesome.
#1. DS9 #2. TNG #3. VOY #4.ENT #5.TOS
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
TheGoodStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 12:06 PM   #74
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post

I voted for TWOK, STID and ST09, by far the three best films.
Yeah, well, you might have heard about opinions. It's a difficult concept.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 03:09 PM   #75
jpv2000
Captain

SJK91 wrote: View Post
12. Star Trek: Generations (1994) - 4/10
In my mind, the only awful Trek film. The Next Generation cast (at least shown here) are not half as interesting as the TOS cast. Worse yet, the film pisses on Captain Kirk by giving him one of the worst death scenes in the history of film. Truly terrible.
I totally agree. Especially the horrible way they portrayed Kirk's death.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote