RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 478
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 3 2013, 02:02 PM   #31
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Re: What happened to Star Trek III: TSFS?

Stoo wrote: View Post

The bit about Protomatter was kind of un-ncessary. We could have believed Genesis was unstable - especially in a first uncontrolled planetary scale test without some secret forbidden ingredient. Maybe the writers wanted to give David a rash\risk taking side like his father?
jpv2000 wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
And I almost forgot: So Dr. Carol Marcus, concerned about microscopic lifeforms in ST II, was essentially a fraud and the whole Genesis stuff was a hoax because they used unstable matter? Here the subsequent movie obviously created a twist at the expense of previously introduced characters and what the screenplay writers had tried to establish in ST II.
I got the impression David used the protomatter cheat without the knowledge of Carol or the others.
Same here. I can't remember if I got that impression from the movie itself or the novel of the movie which I read.
"Protomatter" wasn't in the novel. David's secret was much vaguer, as I recall. He said something along the lines of "I knew I should have rechecked a couple of those equations because something didn't seem quite right." It was only professional negligence in the novel, not a deliberate use of something forbidden and unethical. But I'm pretty sure David hadn't told anyone else about his misgivings.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 03:37 PM   #32
Stoo
Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Katra-storage was not a routine procedure and katra-transference to someone else even less so. Until the 22nd-Century, many Vulcans even believed it was just a myth left over from ancient times..
Hmm ok. Sarek seemed to assume right away that Kirk would be carrying Spock's Katra and taking it to vulcan. Maybe that family are just big fans of old mysticism?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 04:01 PM   #33
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

No I assumed Katra Storage was common but Katra Transfer was not.

And I don't see why Starfleet would have to know. They didn't know about Pon Farr either and that was pretty common to Vulcan.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 04:29 PM   #34
Stoo
Captain

heh, Pon Farr first appeared in TOS, right? I've not watched much so will take your word for it.

I find it weird that, if these things were common, starfleet would be so oblivious. I can see on the one hand vulcans being reluctant to discuss them with outsiders. But on the other, hard to see activities of a civillisation of millions staying secret!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 04:38 PM   #35
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

^I kind of got the impression that a lot of Vulcan culture is not common knowledge to Star Fleet.

And yes Pon Farr was first introduced in TOS in the episode Amok Time from season 2. It's a really good episode so I recommend it. Certainly better & more interesting than the Pon Farr we see in this movie.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 04:40 PM   #36
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

heh, Pon Farr first appeared in TOS, right? I've not watched much so will take your word for it.

I find it weird that, if these things were common, starfleet would be so oblivious. I can see on the one hand vulcans being reluctant to discuss them with outsiders. But on the other, hard to see activities of a civillisation of millions staying secret!
Warp drive but no Wikipedia!
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 05:39 PM   #37
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Katra-storage was not a routine procedure and katra-transference to someone else even less so. Until the 22nd-Century, many Vulcans even believed it was just a myth left over from ancient times..
Hmm ok. Sarek seemed to assume right away that Kirk would be carrying Spock's Katra and taking it to vulcan. Maybe that family are just big fans of old mysticism?
It was an ancient custom that hadn't been openly practiced for millennia until Surak's katra was discovered in the 22nd-Century. By the 23rd-Century, it was more well-known on Vulcan.

Even though every Vulcan has the potential to create a katra, I think only a special few (like Surak's) are actually stored on Vulcan and even far fewer are ever rejoined permanently with a living body like Spock's was (Vulcan priests and scholars--and even some cranky Humans--can apparently hold katras for a time until they're transferred safely into a katric ark).
Old September 3 2013, 05:57 PM   #38
jpv2000
Captain

Kinokima wrote: View Post
^I kind of got the impression that a lot of Vulcan culture is not common knowledge to Star Fleet.
Same here. Those Vulcans are a very tight lipped bunch.

And yes Pon Farr was first introduced in TOS in the episode Amok Time from season 2. It's a really good episode so I recommend it. Certainly better & more interesting than the Pon Farr we see in this movie.
Agreed about Amok Time being better, but I was glad to see it in the movie however. I was waiting for it to happen as soon as we saw Spock aging so quickly.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote