Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 29 2013, 11:15 PM   #301
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Captain_Q wrote: View Post
Yeah there was a lot of old school feeling to it. But I liked how they did it in the 2009 version, by introducing each character pretty much one by one made it so cool. Into Darkness was just so violent in my opinion. And Star Trek isn't known for violence.
What?

Star Trek was chock full of violence, in every episode. The Original Series was essentially Horatio Hornblower, and Wagon Train in space. It was, for all intents and purposes, a space western. While TNG was more known for it's diplomatic Captain, it too had it's fair share of violence. DS9 was filled with violence, VOY was violent, and ENT was violent. The Star Trek movies are action films, save for TMP. The most popular Trek movie, TWOK is wall to wall violence and vengeance. The idea is that Star Trek isn't known for violence, but the reality is that Trek is an action franchise.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 11:34 PM   #302
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Commander Remmick disagrees about Trek not being violent.

Old August 30 2013, 01:53 AM   #303
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Off the top of my head, in TOS we saw Kirk get the crap beat out of him by Finnegan, McCoy strung up and tortured by the Vians, Kirk and Spock tortured by Space Nazis, a crewman tossed down a ravine by Ruk, a crewman blown up by an exploding rock, Kirk killed by Spock (twice!) and crewman speared by giant alien.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 02:51 AM   #304
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Heck, "The Cage" has an extended battle scene between Pike and a giant barbarian warrior . . . .
Old August 30 2013, 04:55 AM   #305
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Heck, "The Cage" has an extended battle scene between Pike and a giant barbarian warrior . . . .
Not to mention Pike threatening to snap the head Talosian's neck.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:02 AM   #306
nightwind1
Commodore

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Off the top of my head, in TOS we saw Kirk get the crap beat out of him by Finnegan, McCoy strung up and tortured by the Vians, Kirk and Spock tortured by Space Nazis, a crewman tossed down a ravine by Ruk, a crewman blown up by an exploding rock, Kirk killed by Spock (twice!) and crewman speared by giant alien.
Don't forget Kirk's flying drop kicks and two-fisted punches.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:02 AM   #307
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

And Star Trek isn't known for violence.
I've definitely seen a different version of the show than you have.
Old August 30 2013, 10:30 AM   #308
Belz...
Fleet Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Commander Remmick disagrees about Trek not being violent.
I'm still amazed they decided to film that. Good episode.

Anyway, this shows the difference between reality and some fan's idealised view of the show.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 11:10 AM   #309
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Into Darkness was amazing clean, considering it's violence - Khan's hands were perfectly clean after he dealt with you-know-who, and Carol's leg, when we next saw it looked fine, with none of the extra corners and bone sticking out I envisioned.

Then again, if you think about it, Picard and Riker should have been splattered in Remmick brains in "Conspiracy"!
Old August 30 2013, 02:59 PM   #310
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Into Darkness was amazing clean, considering it's violence - Khan's hands were perfectly clean after he dealt with you-know-who, and Carol's leg, when we next saw it looked fine, with none of the extra corners and bone sticking out I envisioned.

Then again, if you think about it, Picard and Riker should have been splattered in Remmick brains in "Conspiracy"!
Well to be fair, he stomped on her thigh, likely just snapping the bone cleanly inside, no compounding. Just making sure she stayed put.
Old August 30 2013, 03:43 PM   #311
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Just because Star Trek has violence doesn't mean it's known for it, well at least for Prime Trek. It's more known for braking racial barriers, broadening the imagination, and it's moral base, but I covered that already in this thread.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 03:51 PM   #312
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

All I can say is that all those redshirts didn't exactly die of natural causes . . .
Old August 30 2013, 04:36 PM   #313
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Just because Star Trek has violence doesn't mean it's known for it, well at least for Prime Trek. It's more known for braking racial barriers, broadening the imagination, and it's moral base, but I covered that already in this thread.
It not exactly an hour long meeting of the debate club either. I don't think anyone was saying the violence in the show was a defining feature, but it did exist, as the show was an action adventure series.

The breaking racial barriers thing is partially myth, since networks, advertisers and studios were encouraging producers to cast non-white actors. So Star Trek was part of a trend not bucking the system. It's moral base could be found in many dramas of the day. Again, not so much bucking the system as following the trends of the day.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old August 30 2013, 04:43 PM   #314
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

It not exactly an hour long meeting of the debate club either. I don't think anyone was saying the violence in the show was a defining feature, but it did exist, as the show was an action adventure series.
BillJ sure sound like he was contradicting Captain_Q in this Quote.
The breaking racial barriers thing is partially myth, since networks, advertisers and studios were encouraging producers to cast non-white actors. So Star Trek was part of a trend not bucking the system. It's moral base could be found in many dramas of the day. Again, not so much bucking the system as following the trends of the day.
TV's first interracial kiss was on Star Trek.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:06 PM   #315
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

BillJ sure sound like he was contradicting Captain_Q in this Quote.
I guess you mean this quote?

The implication is that Trek down played violence, which it didn't. It was as violent as its contemporaries. The fight theme from "Amok Time" and Kirk fu are constantly referenced, even by non fans.
TV's first interracial kiss was on Star Trek.
Or it could be Sammy Davis jr kissing Nancy Sinatra. Or any time a white actor kissed an Asian or Hispanic actor. (Lucy and Desi?) "Race" can be a nebulous term.

Last edited by Nerys Myk; August 30 2013 at 05:23 PM.