TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 22 2013, 02:28 PM   #271
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Timewalker wrote:
And read my previous post: Pacifists do not approve of violence, but unless said pacifist is also Jesus or Gandhi (for example), he/she is very likely to have some point where they would kill. How many of us here would not kill, if it was the only way to protect ourselves or a loved one? A human would use the term "breaking point" and Vulcans term it as a "logical reason", but it essentially means the same thing.

Spock advocated killing Gary Mitchell, because he could see no other way out. It was a logical reason
Your original statement was about killing, not violence or pacifism. The episodes mentioned by Greg and my self show that Vulcans can and will kill. You admit that in your own posts.

There is also no evidence that Vulcans expect their children to follow them in their choice of careers, just that Sarek didn't like Spock's career choice. That's one Vulcan and not enough to draw a conclusion about the entire species. Such a ridged attitude conflicts with the idea of diversity, especially infinite diversity.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 04:59 PM   #272
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

Timewalker wrote: View Post
captain crow wrote: View Post
The "prime timeline" is dead. Deal with it and move on.
That's just rude. The "prime timeline" may be dead as far as new movies/TV is concerned. It's not dead anywhere else, so YOU deal with THAT.
Its in no way rude to stat what is true.

The "prime timeline" is dead. All that remains of it are sanctioned fan fiction and mediocre merchandise to flog fans who can't let go.

Stop treating it like Bernie Lomax from Weekend at Bernie's and let it rest in peace .

Last edited by captain crow; August 22 2013 at 05:16 PM.
captain crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 11:33 PM   #273
Pondwater
Commodore

I liked the Prime timeline except for Enterprise. And I like the Nu-timeline. I'm for whatever, except Enterprise.
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 01:38 AM   #274
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

That's just rude. The "prime timeline" may be dead as far as new movies/TV is concerned. It's not dead anywhere else, so YOU deal with THAT.

The "prime timeline" is dead. All that remains of it are sanctioned fan fiction and mediocre merchandise to flog fans who can't let go.
At least say the prime timeline is a zombie, dead but still active in books and video games. If it's dead to you then it's dead to you but people still enjoy it and newer people are still getting into it, regardless if the merchandise is mediocre to you.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 01:58 AM   #275
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

I really don't care. As long as I like it, I'll be happy with PrimeTrek, NuTrek, or even a completely different take.

Make something I like, that's all I ask.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 02:37 AM   #276
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Original villain & story in next NuTrek movie please. Thanks.
Old August 23 2013, 02:39 AM   #277
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Stop treating it like Bernie Lomax from Weekend at Bernie's and let it rest in peace .
I have no idea what this "Bernie" stuff is you're yakking about. Never heard of it.

You are rude when you say, "deal with it." I don't need your permission to like what I like, or have the opinions I do about nuTrek, originalTrek, or anything else. I AM dealing with it - not by holding a candlelit vigil, but by exercising my right to express myself here and elsewhere, and by enjoying the aspects of Star Trek I do like.

There's a hell of a big Trek universe out there beyond the pro stuff. As for "mediocre merchandise", the quality and appeal is in the eye of the collector. I never got into the models, and gave up collecting action figures. I don't really get the appeal of them. But I know other fans love them, and I'd never denigrate or sneer at them for liking what they do. Maybe they don't like the print fanzines from the '70s and '80s. Personally I love them, and have been collecting them for over 25 years. Somehow we all get along just fine!

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 02:43 AM   #278
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Weekend at Bernie's is an 80's movie about a dude who's dead, yet people try to pass him off as alive and his corpse engages in several antics. I forget why. Haven't seen it since I was a kid.
Old August 23 2013, 05:16 AM   #279
TheSubCommander
Captain

I don't see why you can't have the prime timeline on TV set further in the future from the TNG era, the same way TNG was for TOS on TV, and continue the alternate timeline in the movies.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 05:32 AM   #280
Captain_Q
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I grew up with the prime timeline so of course I'm biased. But I'm not sure if I'm not really liking the new timeline because I'm not a fan of Abrams or what. To me in order to be a true fan of Star Trek you have to have seen thee old movies and at least one series. This new stuff isn't true Trek to me. Now I just want to clarify that I'm only 21, so technically I'm one of these younger fans that they're trying to rope in. I'm just really glad that I grew up with TNG and got to experience that before the new stuff came out.
As far as merchandise goes, dear Lord I wish I was rich and could buy all of this awesome old school stuff. Over the weekend I bought my first "old Trek" item, a record with an included comic, I just think it's so cool. I want Enterprise models and the action figures of all my favorite characters. And screw the original packaging. I'm gonna take those suckers out and play with them! Because that's what they were made for!
Old August 23 2013, 05:38 AM   #281
R. Star
Rear Admiral

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
I don't see why you can't have the prime timeline on TV set further in the future from the TNG era, the same way TNG was for TOS on TV, and continue the alternate timeline in the movies.
Because having a group of people in the same universe in the future from Kirk and Spock will never work.
Old August 23 2013, 06:06 AM   #282
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Captain_Q wrote: View Post
I grew up with the prime timeline so of course I'm biased. But I'm not sure if I'm not really liking the new timeline because I'm not a fan of Abrams or what. To me in order to be a true fan of Star Trek you have to have seen thee old movies and at least one series. This new stuff isn't true Trek to me. Now I just want to clarify that I'm only 21, so technically I'm one of these younger fans that they're trying to rope in. I'm just really glad that I grew up with TNG and got to experience that before the new stuff came out.
As far as merchandise goes, dear Lord I wish I was rich and could buy all of this awesome old school stuff. Over the weekend I bought my first "old Trek" item, a record with an included comic, I just think it's so cool. I want Enterprise models and the action figures of all my favorite characters. And screw the original packaging. I'm gonna take those suckers out and play with them! Because that's what they were made for!
21? You were like two when TNG went off the air.

I'm 54 and grew up watching TOS and grew old watching TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT. I love the new films.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 06:12 AM   #283
Captain_Q
Lieutenant Junior Grade

My Godfather owns all of TNG on vhs, I grew up with those. I started on the TOS movies with my parents before I started borrowing the TNG episodes weekly. So yes, I may have been 2 when it went off the air but it's still possible to grow up with this stuff. The 2009 film wasn't too bad but I do not like Into Darkness. I always try to push away my critiques while watching these movies but this one rubbed me wrong and I probably won't buy it when it comes out. The 2009 film felt like Star Trek to me, Into Darkness just felt like an action film. That's not what Star Trek is about. I could go on but then I'd be writing a novel.
Old August 23 2013, 06:57 AM   #284
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Captain_Q wrote: View Post
My Godfather owns all of TNG on vhs, I grew up with those. I started on the TOS movies with my parents before I started borrowing the TNG episodes weekly. So yes, I may have been 2 when it went off the air but it's still possible to grow up with this stuff.
I was 12 when I started watching Star Trek in 1975. And I envy the people who had access to all the cool stuff that came out before that!

The first Star Trek series I ever started taping on my VCR was TNG. Week after week, trying to scrunch as many episodes as possible per tape (there wasn't any way to program the machine to cut out the commercials; it had to be done manually), year after year...

And now with a few mouse clicks, I could buy all of it on Amazon. It seems too easy, like cheating, somehow...

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 09:33 PM   #285
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Watching STAR TREK in syndication was like playing roulette. You never knew which episode you were going to get. It could be "Amok Time" (yay!) or it could be "Miri" (oh well) . . . .