Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old August 13 2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Kinect 2.0 not requiered...

so months ago MS claimed the Kinect needed to be hooked up to the XB1 for the system to function...
Guess what:

arned even more. The Kinect 2.0 need not even be connected to the Xbox One.

The news was revealed in an ongoing question and answer session IGN has been conducting with Xbox chief product officer Marc Whitten. "That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor," Whitten wrote.

Should you wish to leave the device connected, the Xbox One will prompt users to turn it on should they attempt to use anything that requires the Kinect. When off, the cameras and microphones are not receiving external data. This news is the latest in a long line of policy reversals, including a system-wide shift in digital rights management, indie self-publishing, and including a headset in the box.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/...about-xbox-one

So they pretty much reversed on pretty much all the "mandatory" stuff...
Old August 13 2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Re: Kinect 2.0 not requiered...

So if we now dont need kinect 2 for the xbox one to function why are we paying extra to buy it. lol

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Kelthaz
Commodore

Very good Microsoft. Now release a $399 Xbox One SKU without the Kinect and we'll talk.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 06:30 PM   #4
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

MS must be scared shitless to lose the next generation console race because they started out by imposing their will on the consumer on what the Xbox should be and now they have bent over backwards and rolled everything back.

Still.. damage done and MS will need years to dig themselves out of the hole but even years down the line people will still remember the fiasco that was the pre-launch of the Xbox One.
Old August 13 2013, 07:28 PM   #5
MacLeod
Admiral

A few great games and many will have forgotten about the pre-launch fiasco.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Kelthaz
Commodore

Yeah, you're forgetting the $599!!!, "You'll want a second job for this", and "RIIIIIDGE RACER!" backlash from 2006. Sony was in the exact same position as Microsoft last generation with the PS3 and they managed to scrape their way into a respectable 2nd place behind the Wii. Sure, they lost billions as a result, but the point is that they recovered and restored their brand image. Microsoft will do the same.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Relayer1
Commodore

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Yeah, you're forgetting the $599!!!, "You'll want a second job for this", and "RIIIIIDGE RACER!" backlash from 2006. Sony was in the exact same position as Microsoft last generation with the PS3 and they managed to scrape their way into a respectable 2nd place behind the Wii. Sure, they lost billions as a result, but the point is that they recovered and restored their brand image. Microsoft will do the same.
Yes, but it may take time and cost them money.

Also, Sony learned their lesson - something Microsoft have proven less capable of...
Old August 13 2013, 08:15 PM   #8
MacLeod
Admiral

At the end of the day it's the games that will help sell the machines. I won't be buying either at launch. I might not even buy either until closer to the end of 2014. No real games I fancy enough to part with my GB£430. I don't play a huge amount on my 360. And perhpas but the time I buy one they'll be slighly cheaper and who knows any manufcaturing bugs worked out.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 01:15 AM   #9
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

MacLeod wrote: View Post
A few great games and many will have forgotten about the pre-launch fiasco.
A few great games, price cut, Kinectless bundle and at least 1 year will help Microsoft with their pre-launch fiasco.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 07:05 PM   #10
PKerr
Rear Admiral

I never bought into the whole "The system is built around Kinect 2.0 and won't work without it" B.S.
That's like saying you must have this printer hooked to you computer in order for the computer to work, it's a silly peripheral nothing more.

The next 180 Microsoft will be announcing will be the Kinect-less Sku and they will do it because "they listen to their consumers and really care about what you think".

I own both a 360 and a PS3 but mostly play on the 360, Next Gen will solely be PS4, Microsoft is going to have to earn my business back and it won't be any time soon.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Timby
I AM the League of Mallows...

PKerr wrote: View Post
The next 180 Microsoft will be announcing will be the Kinect-less Sku and they will do it because "they listen to their consumers and really care about what you think".
There's no way Microsoft will announce a Kinect-free system -- the company has invested a lot of money into Kinect 2.0, and if developers can't be guaranteed that the peripheral is in the box with every Xbox One, they won't develop for it and it will be dead on arrival.
Old August 19 2013, 08:26 PM   #12
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
There's no way Microsoft will announce a Kinect-free system -- the company has invested a lot of money into Kinect 2.0, and if developers can't be guaranteed that the peripheral is in the box with every Xbox One, they won't develop for it and it will be dead on arrival.
Are you really going to make a statement like that with all the 180's they have done so far?

IMO there is no way they can't release a Kinect free system, they have to compete and you can't compete being $100.00 more and selling a peripheral a lot of people don't want.

Honestly how can you say we are selling something for $100.00 more that you don't need or have to hook up if you don't want to?

Microsoft was stoopid to force Kinect in the first place.
Old August 19 2013, 08:49 PM   #13
Timby

Are you really going to make a statement like that with all the 180's they have done so far?
Yes, I am, because I'm looking at it from a business perspective, not a consumer viewpoint.

Microsoft put millions upon millions of dollars towards developing Kinect 2.0, and manufacturing the peripheral is prohibitively expensive. To not have it packed into every box is financial suicide, because the Kinect will then be DOA (just as essentially every other optional peripheral has been throughout history) and Microsoft then would have to look at writing off a lot of money as a sunk cost. Fifteen years ago, the company might have been willing to do that (heck, that was the strategy with the original Xbox, which hemorrhaged money), but 2013 Microsoft? Not going to happen. That kind of write-off is the stuff that makes shareholders and board members start calling for heads to roll.
Old August 19 2013, 09:09 PM   #14
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Yes, I am, because I'm looking at it from a business perspective, not a consumer viewpoint.

Microsoft put millions upon millions of dollars towards developing Kinect 2.0, and manufacturing the peripheral is prohibitively expensive. To not have it packed into every box is financial suicide, because the Kinect will then be DOA (just as essentially every other optional peripheral has been throughout history) and Microsoft then would have to look at writing off a lot of money as a sunk cost. Fifteen years ago, the company might have been willing to do that (heck, that was the strategy with the original Xbox, which hemorrhaged money), but 2013 Microsoft? Not going to happen. That kind of write-off is the stuff that makes shareholders and board members start calling for heads to roll.
And to me it financial suicide to do so, you have to offer your consumers choices.

Tell me something, would you spend more on a car from a dealer that was fully loaded with a bunch of stuff you would never use or would you go across the street and get exactly what you wanted for the price you want to pay?

I also hear the argument about Kinect failing if it's not shipped with the system, I got news for you, just because there is one in every box doesn't mean Devs will use it, it's a gimmick, nothing more.

Tell me this, if Kinect was so great how come it's attach rate was abysmal?
The most popular game sold less than 3 million copies, for having 20+ million units out that that is pretty poor.
Most titles barley broke 100k in units sold, Go to VG charts and punch in any Kinect title, see for yourself.
If the thing was so great it would be like giving away free ice-cream on a hot summer day, practically everyone would want it but ya know what? they don't.

Last edited by PKerr; August 19 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old August 19 2013, 09:26 PM   #15
Timby

And to me it financial suicide to do so, you have to offer your consumers choices.

Tell me something, would you spend more a car from a dealer that was fully loaded with a bunch of stuff you would never use or would you go across the street and get exactly what you wanted for the price you want to pay?

I also hear the argument about Kinect failing if it's not shipped with the system, I got news for you, just because there is one in every box doesn't mean Devs will use it, it's a gimmick, nothing more.

Tell me this, if Kinect was so great how come it's attach rate was abysmal?
The most popular game sold less than 3 million copies, for having 20+ million units out that that is pretty poor.
Most titles barley broke 100k in units sold, Go to VG charts and punch in any Kinect title, see for yourself.
If the thing was so great it would be like giving away free ice-cream on a hot summer day, practically everyone would want it but ya know what? they don't.
You're either deliberately sidestepping or flat-out missing my point. Not once have I argued that Kinect is a great peripheral (though I'm very intrigued by the tech advances made with Kinect 2.0), and I'm on the fence as to whether or not forcing the peripheral was a good idea.

That being said, the fact of the matter is that Microsoft poured a lot of cash into R&D for Kinect 2. And it costs a lot to make each unit. When you make that kind of expenditure, you don't suddenly throw up your hands and say, "Eh, that was a fun way to spend millions of dollars, now we'll make it optional and toss away any hope of recouping our investment." It's not like reversing on the DRM issue, which was a simple matter of flipping a switch, figuratively speaking -- the horse has already bolted on the hardware side of things. To offer a Kinect-free box would be the same lunacy as the different SKUs (with and without hard drive) with the Xbox 360 launch, except multiplied by a factor of a hundred. This is business economics 101.