Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 13 2013, 03:07 AM   #1
Control Voice
Ensign

John Christopher a Regular?

For a long time I've felt that the Captain John Christopher character from Tomorrow is Yesterday would have made a great TOS regular . He would have given an interesting fresh perspective to some 23rd century events. Plus it would have a built in tension as history shows he lived out his life in his own era, so Kirk and Co. know they will return him to his proper place in time. But, how and when?
Control Voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 04:00 AM   #2
Praetor Baldric
Lieutenant Commander

Re: John Christopher a Regular?

I like this idea. If I understood correctly, Christopher would stay on for several episodes while the crew is working on a solution for returning him to his own time. This would totally work in a modern day series where successful series can pretty much plan out their episodes for each season. Ultimately there would be "a very special episode" where the solution would be found and Christopher would leave after some tearful goodbyes with the regulars and possibly a touching scene between him and Kirk or Spock.

Trouble is, I don't think TV series of the 1960s dealt with that sense of continuity that is so common today (where TV dramas and comedies have a structure that resembles more that of the soap opera). Each episode was made as a self-contained story (which is why you can jump around from season to season and not find yourself asking a lot of questions about who the new characters are and why are these two dating now because I thought they hated each other...etc...).
Praetor Baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 06:29 AM   #3
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Eh, he wasn't that interesting a character.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 02:59 AM   #4
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

I don't really see the point.
Old August 14 2013, 03:08 AM   #5
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Control Voice wrote: View Post
. . .Plus it would have a built in tension as history shows he lived out his life in his own era, so Kirk and Co. know they will return him to his proper place in time. . .
Which means he would have been too important to send on landing parties, and be stuck on a ship he didn't want to be on in the first place, and had already tried to escape from. It's not that the crew knows they'll return him to his place in time, it's that they have to keep him alive long enough to make the attempt that they're not even sure will work.
Old August 14 2013, 03:25 AM   #6
Praetor Baldric
Lieutenant Commander

Melakon wrote: View Post
Control Voice wrote: View Post
. . .Plus it would have a built in tension as history shows he lived out his life in his own era, so Kirk and Co. know they will return him to his proper place in time. . .
Which means he would have been too important to send on landing parties, and be stuck on a ship he didn't want to be on in the first place, and had already tried to escape from. It's not that the crew knows they'll return him to his place in time, it's that they have to keep him alive long enough to make the attempt that they're not even sure will work.
I think the idea is that he would have to stay on as the crew is still working on how to send him back. Meanwhile, new adventures ensue and occasionally Christopher is just the right man for the job. Being a gung-ho kinda guy, he volunteers on those occasions and, despite protests from Kirk, Spock et al., it is decided that he has to be part of the given mission. You could even have some teasers before commercial cuts where McCoy says, "Oh God, I think he really is dead this time Jim! May Heaven help us!" Until we finally get to the episode where someone figures out how to get him back and we have a heartfelt scene and off he goes. Kirk makes a profound statement and/or the crew exchange a nostalgic chuckle, Warp 2 Mr. Sulu, Aye Warp 2 sir. Roll credits.
Old August 14 2013, 03:31 AM   #7
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

The other problem with the scenario is you have the Enterprise stuck at Earth in 1968 for X number of episodes with no place to go and investigate. They're cut off from Starfleet and any repair facilities. They can't go to Vulcan or anywhere else without contaminating timelines.
Old August 14 2013, 03:35 AM   #8
Praetor Baldric
Lieutenant Commander

Melakon wrote: View Post
The other problem with the scenario is you have the Enterprise stuck at Earth in 1968 for X number of episodes with no place to go and investigate. They're cut off from Starfleet and any repair facilities. They can't go to Vulcan or anywhere else without contaminating timelines.
Presumably they can leave 1968, screw up timelines and then have everything return to normal next season when they figure out how to send him back. Might even have an episode where he meets his great great great great etc... grandson who turns out to be Harry Mudd!
Old August 14 2013, 04:46 AM   #9
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

And with that silliness, I'm outta here.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 05:19 AM   #10
E-DUB
Captain

Garrovick would have been a better choice.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 05:55 AM   #11
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I've said it before, but the guest who should have been a regular was Dr. Helen Noel. I have nothing against McCoy, but she would have been a more interesting foil for Kirk and Spock.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 06:21 AM   #12
Praetor Baldric
Lieutenant Commander

Maurice wrote: View Post
And with that silliness, I'm outta here.
Ba-bye!
Old August 15 2013, 01:14 AM   #13
Push The Button
Captain

A very underrated character. Plus, the first human to travel beyond earth orbit.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 02:27 AM   #14
Praetor Baldric
Lieutenant Commander

Push The Button wrote: View Post
A very underrated character. Plus, the first human to travel beyond earth orbit.
yes he really is an interesting character. I really do wish there would have been some way to work him into the regular cast but as others have pointed out it would really be difficult to do so without totally disrupting timelines.
Old August 15 2013, 03:31 AM   #15
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

What exactly is interesting about him?