Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 12 2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Redshirt Chekov

Why was Ensign Chekov, the ship's navigator, assigned to oversee Engineering? Surely there would be numerous Lieutenants with more experience and specific training to cover in Scotty's absence.
Old August 12 2013, 10:36 AM   #2
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: Redshirt Chekov

He'd been learning under Scotty for a few months according to the dialogue, IIRC. That made him best for knowing the Enterprise's heavily modified engine configuration, which Scotty mentions to Keenser in the club in San Francisco.

Also, it's Chekov. They're gonna use a member of the main cast over a random nobody any day.
Old August 12 2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Nightowl1701
Captain

Plus it made a nice double in-joke: Not only does poor Chekov (and the audience!) have to worry about him meeting the fate of a typical redshirt, but in the Prime Universe (at least according to the novels) Chekov was a redshirt working down in Engineering when the original Khan came aboard the Enterprise, and he apparently put up enough of a fight when the Augments took over to earn Khan's notice. "I never forget a face..."
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 02:22 PM   #4
The Wormhole
Admiral

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Plus it made a nice double in-joke: Not only does poor Chekov (and the audience!) have to worry about him meeting the fate of a typical redshirt, but in the Prime Universe (at least according to the novels) Chekov was a redshirt working down in Engineering when the original Khan came aboard the Enterprise, and he apparently put up enough of a fight when the Augments took over to earn Khan's notice. "I never forget a face..."
Not quite. He was a security officer who fought against Khan in engineering.
Old August 12 2013, 04:00 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Real world - They're going to use a member of the main cast over some no name. As mentioned above.

In universe - Kirk knew Chekov better than any one currently on staff in engineering and wanted someone he actually knew in Engineering during a critical mission. There's no evidence the assignment would've been permanent if Scotty hadn't come back.
Old August 14 2013, 05:38 AM   #6
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

BillJ wrote: View Post
Real world - They're going to use a member of the main cast over some no name. As mentioned above.

In universe - Kirk knew Chekov better than any one currently on staff in engineering and wanted someone he actually knew in Engineering during a critical mission. There's no evidence the assignment would've been permanent if Scotty hadn't come back.
Both true, but especially the bolded text. Standard filmmaking 101.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Why was Ensign Chekov, the ship's navigator, assigned to oversee Engineering? Surely there would be numerous Lieutenants with more experience and specific training to cover in Scotty's absence.
Good Question.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 04:33 PM   #8
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
...in the Prime Universe (at least according to the novels) Chekov was a redshirt working down in Engineering when the original Khan came aboard the Enterprise, and he apparently put up enough of a fight when the Augments took over to earn Khan's notice. "I never forget a face..."
Is this actually cannon or is this a fan theory? I don't recall dialog explicitly stating Chekov was a security officer at the time of Space Seed, but I could very well be wrong.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Scout101
Admiral

Says 'novels' right in the post you quoted, so not cannon. Above fan theory, but it's definitely not set in stone.

But since the actor wasn't hired onto Star Trek yet when Space Seed aired, and yet Khan recognizes him, "in-universe" he had to be on the ship somewhere and just not promoted up to bridge duty...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
He'd been learning under Scotty for a few months according to the dialogue, IIRC. That made him best for knowing the Enterprise's heavily modified engine configuration, which Scotty mentions to Keenser in the club in San Francisco.
So what's the rest of the Engineering staff been doing? Hiding out in the staff room playing cards and drinking coffee whilst Scotty, Keenser and occassionally Chekov do all the work?

I get that it's a cheap cop out, rather than pay an extra to say lines give it to one of the "main" characters, but still seems very impractical, as it then leaves the ship without its whizkid Navigator, so an extra has to be drafted in to cover that post.
Old August 16 2013, 03:16 PM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I get that it's a cheap cop out, rather than pay an extra to say lines give it to one of the "main" characters, but still seems very impractical, as it then leaves the ship without its whizkid Navigator, so an extra has to be drafted in to cover that post.
If I have to use a person that I personally trust to do either job, I'm going to put that person in Engineering. It's really that simple.
Old August 16 2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Keith1701 wrote: View Post
Good Question.
Not really. See the post above yours.
Old August 16 2013, 06:01 PM   #13
F. King Daniel
Admiral

So what's the rest of the Engineering staff been doing? Hiding out in the staff room playing cards and drinking coffee whilst Scotty, Keenser and occassionally Chekov do all the work?

But Chekov covered for Spock in TOS, despite not being part of the science divison. What were Spock's blueshirts doing then? Or in TAS when Arex covered when Spock was away?

...or even TNG, when helmsman LaForge was suddenly the best man to take over engineering in season two? Were Argyle's people really that useless?
Old August 16 2013, 06:06 PM   #14
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

...or even TNG, when helmsman LaForge was suddenly the best man to take over engineering in season two? Were Argyle's people really that useless?
Yeah they were. Wesley was usually better than them.
Old August 16 2013, 06:17 PM   #15
F. King Daniel
Admiral

True. And it makes you wonder how much hate Wesley got from all the ther pilots on the Enterprise when he took over the helm when LaForge became engineer.

"You guys went to the acadmey and worked your asses off to get here? Well, my Mom's the doctor and the captain likes me!"