RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,406
Posts: 5,505,971
Members: 25,127
Currently online: 665
Newest member: OneOfFour

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 12 2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Tactical withdrawl along the Klingon border
Redshirt Chekov

Why was Ensign Chekov, the ship's navigator, assigned to oversee Engineering? Surely there would be numerous Lieutenants with more experience and specific training to cover in Scotty's absence.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Naya, U.S.S. Renown NCC-1415 [Star Trek: Four Years War]
Manip by: JM1776 (STPMA.net)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 10:36 AM   #2
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Redshirt Chekov

He'd been learning under Scotty for a few months according to the dialogue, IIRC. That made him best for knowing the Enterprise's heavily modified engine configuration, which Scotty mentions to Keenser in the club in San Francisco.

Also, it's Chekov. They're gonna use a member of the main cast over a random nobody any day.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Nightowl1701
Captain
 
Location: Orlando, FL
Re: Redshirt Chekov

Plus it made a nice double in-joke: Not only does poor Chekov (and the audience!) have to worry about him meeting the fate of a typical redshirt, but in the Prime Universe (at least according to the novels) Chekov was a redshirt working down in Engineering when the original Khan came aboard the Enterprise, and he apparently put up enough of a fight when the Augments took over to earn Khan's notice. "I never forget a face..."
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 02:22 PM   #4
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Redshirt Chekov

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Plus it made a nice double in-joke: Not only does poor Chekov (and the audience!) have to worry about him meeting the fate of a typical redshirt, but in the Prime Universe (at least according to the novels) Chekov was a redshirt working down in Engineering when the original Khan came aboard the Enterprise, and he apparently put up enough of a fight when the Augments took over to earn Khan's notice. "I never forget a face..."
Not quite. He was a security officer who fought against Khan in engineering.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 04:00 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Redshirt Chekov

Real world - They're going to use a member of the main cast over some no name. As mentioned above.

In universe - Kirk knew Chekov better than any one currently on staff in engineering and wanted someone he actually knew in Engineering during a critical mission. There's no evidence the assignment would've been permanent if Scotty hadn't come back.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 05:38 AM   #6
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Redshirt Chekov

BillJ wrote: View Post
Real world - They're going to use a member of the main cast over some no name. As mentioned above.

In universe - Kirk knew Chekov better than any one currently on staff in engineering and wanted someone he actually knew in Engineering during a critical mission. There's no evidence the assignment would've been permanent if Scotty hadn't come back.
Both true, but especially the bolded text. Standard filmmaking 101.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Keith1701
Rear Admiral
 
Keith1701's Avatar
 
Location: Warner Robins Georgia
Re: Redshirt Chekov

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Why was Ensign Chekov, the ship's navigator, assigned to oversee Engineering? Surely there would be numerous Lieutenants with more experience and specific training to cover in Scotty's absence.
Good Question.
__________________
Keith1701
Live Long, and Prosper....
"Make It So" -- ENGAGE!!!!
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 04:33 PM   #8
trekker670
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Redshirt Chekov

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
...in the Prime Universe (at least according to the novels) Chekov was a redshirt working down in Engineering when the original Khan came aboard the Enterprise, and he apparently put up enough of a fight when the Augments took over to earn Khan's notice. "I never forget a face..."
Is this actually cannon or is this a fan theory? I don't recall dialog explicitly stating Chekov was a security officer at the time of Space Seed, but I could very well be wrong.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: Redshirt Chekov

Says 'novels' right in the post you quoted, so not cannon. Above fan theory, but it's definitely not set in stone.

But since the actor wasn't hired onto Star Trek yet when Space Seed aired, and yet Khan recognizes him, "in-universe" he had to be on the ship somewhere and just not promoted up to bridge duty...
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Tactical withdrawl along the Klingon border
Re: Redshirt Chekov

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
He'd been learning under Scotty for a few months according to the dialogue, IIRC. That made him best for knowing the Enterprise's heavily modified engine configuration, which Scotty mentions to Keenser in the club in San Francisco.
So what's the rest of the Engineering staff been doing? Hiding out in the staff room playing cards and drinking coffee whilst Scotty, Keenser and occassionally Chekov do all the work?

I get that it's a cheap cop out, rather than pay an extra to say lines give it to one of the "main" characters, but still seems very impractical, as it then leaves the ship without its whizkid Navigator, so an extra has to be drafted in to cover that post.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Naya, U.S.S. Renown NCC-1415 [Star Trek: Four Years War]
Manip by: JM1776 (STPMA.net)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 03:16 PM   #11
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Redshirt Chekov

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post

I get that it's a cheap cop out, rather than pay an extra to say lines give it to one of the "main" characters, but still seems very impractical, as it then leaves the ship without its whizkid Navigator, so an extra has to be drafted in to cover that post.
If I have to use a person that I personally trust to do either job, I'm going to put that person in Engineering. It's really that simple.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral
 
Santa Kang's Avatar
 
Location: North Pole,Qo'noS
Re: Redshirt Chekov

Keith1701 wrote: View Post
Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Why was Ensign Chekov, the ship's navigator, assigned to oversee Engineering? Surely there would be numerous Lieutenants with more experience and specific training to cover in Scotty's absence.
Good Question.
Not really. See the post above yours.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Santa Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 06:01 PM   #13
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Redshirt Chekov

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
He'd been learning under Scotty for a few months according to the dialogue, IIRC. That made him best for knowing the Enterprise's heavily modified engine configuration, which Scotty mentions to Keenser in the club in San Francisco.
So what's the rest of the Engineering staff been doing? Hiding out in the staff room playing cards and drinking coffee whilst Scotty, Keenser and occassionally Chekov do all the work?

I get that it's a cheap cop out, rather than pay an extra to say lines give it to one of the "main" characters, but still seems very impractical, as it then leaves the ship without its whizkid Navigator, so an extra has to be drafted in to cover that post.
But Chekov covered for Spock in TOS, despite not being part of the science divison. What were Spock's blueshirts doing then? Or in TAS when Arex covered when Spock was away?


...or even TNG, when helmsman LaForge was suddenly the best man to take over engineering in season two? Were Argyle's people really that useless?
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 06:06 PM   #14
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral
 
Santa Kang's Avatar
 
Location: North Pole,Qo'noS
Re: Redshirt Chekov

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
...or even TNG, when helmsman LaForge was suddenly the best man to take over engineering in season two? Were Argyle's people really that useless?
Yeah they were. Wesley was usually better than them.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Santa Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 06:17 PM   #15
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Redshirt Chekov

True. And it makes you wonder how much hate Wesley got from all the ther pilots on the Enterprise when he took over the helm when LaForge became engineer.

"You guys went to the acadmey and worked your asses off to get here? Well, my Mom's the doctor and the captain likes me!"
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.