RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 468
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 12 2013, 04:56 PM   #16
MickJo1701
Commander

Re: The Nearly-Disastrous Start to the David Tennant Era

Haven't watched either since they aired so I don't recall a great deal other than not being terribly impressed by either episode.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 04:58 PM   #17
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

God, the early Tennant era was awful, even I admit that. Xmas Invasion and new Earth are pieces of crap, those two episodes are probably the reason I preferred Eccleston by far t Tennant for most if not all of his first series.

That werewolf one was weird too, and improvement to Xmas and NE, but still pretty bad. It's only when we got to school reunion that things improved. I liked girl in the fireplace a lot I seem to recall, then I recently watched the two cybermen ones and loved them. the Wire one was silly, the ood one was okay, Love & Monsters was absolutely ludicrous and is something even the classic series probably wouldn't have done, then there was......oh yeah, Fear her that was silly, then the Cyber-Dalek two parter which was an improvement. Hell looking back on it, most of Tennant's early stuff was bullshit. Then again, I've not watched most of series 2 in a while, probably because it was so bad for the most part. Should really watch it all again and rate it.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 05:29 PM   #18
VDCNI
Captain

I liked The Christmas Invasion and I thought it was a really good way of dealing with the first regeneration of the modern series. Have the character the audience are familiar with, Rose, take front and centre but at the same time show just how much she and the world need the Doctor. The sequence where he comes out of the Tardis completely sells the Tenth Doctor to Rose and the audience.

New Earth though - yeah it's terrible but even there RTD almost redeems himself at the end with the final Cassandra sequence.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 05:53 PM   #19
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

"New Earth" is a comedy episode, and I thought it was funny and enjoyable. Some people simply didn't like it, others take their science-fiction very seriously and feel that comedy destroys the verisimilitude of their favorite fictional world.
Old August 12 2013, 06:03 PM   #20
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Both have deus ex machina endings.
Do you actually know what that phrase means?

Deus ex machina means that a previously unannounced and in-no-way set-up external force comes in at the end of a story to solve all the problems,
The Christmas Invasion ends with The Doctor pressing a seemingly otherwise pointless button to kill the villain. The button seriously just.. makes a random bit of ledge vanish. How is that not a deus ex machina? The hand and Torchwood weapon are also deus ex machinas but they don't bother me as much 'cus they're just typical lazy RTD endings. That damn ledge button is what bothers me.

Don't even get me started on the intravenous solutions from New Earth. They not only come from nowhere but like.. you do know what the word "intravenous" means right? Then we get a soaking wet David Tennant giving one of his worst performances as he jumps up and down with a shit-eating-grin, screaming "Pass it oooooon!". It's all very embarrassing looking back on it.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 06:06 PM   #21
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
"New Earth" is a comedy episode, and I thought it was funny and enjoyable. Some people simply didn't like it, others take their science-fiction very seriously and feel that comedy destroys the verisimilitude of their favorite fictional world.
Yea, I used to be like that. "Red Dwarf just makes a mockery out of SciFi, how could any SciFi fan support such rubbish" or I stayed away from Eureka and Warehouse 13 because they had so much comedy, and mostly avoided SG-1 because of all the one liners.

Comedy SciFi is not a crime against SciFi, and often adds quite a lot. It's especially important in a very grim Series like NuBSG, if you don't toss in comedy here and there, a show like NuBSG makes you want to slit your wrists out of Depression. Now, I'm still not the biggest fan of Red Dwarf like many are, but, I have certainly enjoyed watching it all the way through, I thoroughly enjoyed SG-1 and WH13, and Eureka was astonishing to me just how fun a Series it actually is (Thank Goodness for DVDs, as I got to watch it all in one go and loved it)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 06:10 PM   #22
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Love & Monsters is a good one.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 06:11 PM   #23
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Something being a comedy episode doesn't mean people should just hold it to no standards. City of Death, The Romans, The Crimson Horror and The Lodger are comedy stories, they're great. New Earth is just dumb and lazy.
Old August 12 2013, 06:16 PM   #24
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Something being a comedy episode doesn't mean people should just hold it to no standards. City of Death, The Romans, The Crimson Horror and The Lodger are comedy stories, they're great. New Earth is just dumb and lazy.
As I said, some people simply didn't like it.
Old August 12 2013, 06:19 PM   #25
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Andrew_Kearley wrote: View Post
Love & Monsters is a good one.
One of the few RTD episodes that still holds up. Will never get the hate. I also admit to enjoying Last of the Time Lords as a guilty pleasure for all its Gollum Doctor insanity, although the ending is admittedly offensively retarded.

Though my appreciation for Love & Monsters may be bias due to me being a huge ELO fan . Eldorado is one of the best albums ever.
Old August 12 2013, 06:50 PM   #26
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I don't love Love & Monsters, but don't hate it, either. What I did hate, though, was the climax - and even more so, the finale. Thats still very, very dumb.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 07:28 PM   #27
Konata Izumi
Commander

I'm not sure why New Earth is supposedly worse than the rest of the series. Cassandra is a very original villain and the body swap farce isn't a bad way to express her story. Embarrassing things make me happy. The episode uses the imagery of cat people and flying cars to portray nice progress in the future and the hospital and the zombies portray bad things like it's the Star Wars.

RTD's supposed skill with characters is questionable. He has unusual skill in writing a very specific type of character driven purely by emotion, but when that is not enough for the plot to function, reason is still not applied and he has to rely on some bizarre contrivance instead. Characters affect plot.

Such a massive shortcoming does not however automatically mean the episodes are bad.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 07:54 PM   #28
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Comedy is alright, it's just that New Earth wasn't funny for me.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 08:50 PM   #29
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

The problem with New Earth was that the Doctor took a few bags of chemicals and then proceeded to cure every disease in the universe while going about like he was Jesus curing lepers. I was fine with every other aspect of the episode except that.

Season 2 is my least favorite season of Nu-Who. It was the 'awkward sophmore' album of the NuWho band.

David Tennant himself didn't really come together as the Doctor for me until the two parter of the Impossible Planet/Satan Pit. I think having the Doctor face the impossible, and something he feared forced Tennant to get more in touch with his character or something.
Old August 12 2013, 10:31 PM   #30
DWF
Vice Admiral

I rather liked both The Christmas Invasion and New Earth, I thought Tennant's first season started off rather well. The worst of the season for me was Fear Her and The Idiot's Lantern.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote