Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 10 2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Pharmacutical Companies can kiss my white, hairy...

ASS!

New prescription the doctor put me on. Cost of a refill? $75!

"But, Trekker," you say "don't you have insurance?"

Yes. That's the co-pay WITH insurance! Without insurance the pills cost almost $800.

I'm surprised such tiny little pills cost so much without being made out of platinum or Grade-A crack. Speaking of which, I wonder if my $80 would have been better spent if I just went downtown, bought a couple pounds of marijuana, got a blow-job from a hooker and then used what was left over to treat myself to dinner at the city's top-rated steak house?
Old August 10 2013, 09:37 PM   #2
propita
Rear Admiral

Re: Pharmacutical Companies can kiss my white, hairy...

If you don't mind losing privacy, what's the med? Are there any alternatives on your insurance formulary? Ask your pharmacist (or I can ask Hubby, a pharmacist). Or can your doctor get a pre-auhtorization okay from your insurance company?

I have the same problem with statins. Evidently, I'm sensitive. I got increasingly uncomfortable at night, aching from feet to hips. My doctor gave me something from Japan, samples for about 4 months, while trying to get pre-authorization. About $80/month ON insurance--that's as much as all my other meds combined!

Last edited by propita; August 10 2013 at 11:27 PM.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

They're probably new.

My future brother-in-law has a continuous blood sugar monitor connected to him which is connected to a wireless device that allows real time knowledge of his blood sugars, tis a brilliant bit of kit, but because it's pretty new, it's also very expensive and not on the NHS.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 11:20 PM   #4
marksound
Fleet Captain

Research and development costs money. It's a pain in the ass, but the cost of those things don't just evaporate. People who do the work have to be paid. Not everything can be amortized against future earnings.

It sucks that stuff costs so much, but what is the alternative? Not develop new drugs to combat or cure diseases, or just let people die like in the "olden days"?

Government subsidies can help, but think about it. Where does that money come from? You and me, that's where. And in collecting and distributing that money, a ton of it is eaten up in administrative costs. A TON. The end result is that not a lot of the money goes where it was intended to go in the first place.

Independent hospitals and charities go a long way to putting money where it will best be used. It doesn't make me happy to say it, but ACA won't make things any better. We're starting to see the effects of that, and it hasn't even been fully implemented yet.

A lot of people will disagree, but I don't have time or energy to argue about this kind of stuff in a place where it ultimately won't make any difference.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 11:54 PM   #5
MacLeod
Admiral

^Well even with countries with Univseral Health cover you still end up paying for it via higher taxes. And not every new drug is approved due to the cost. Depending on a varitey of factors you might have to make a contribution towards the cost. in the UK for example this is ~£8(US$12)
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 11:59 PM   #6
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
ASS!

New prescription the doctor put me on. Cost of a refill? $75!

"But, Trekker," you say "don't you have insurance?"

Yes. That's the co-pay WITH insurance! Without insurance the pills cost almost $800.

I'm surprised such tiny little pills cost so much without being made out of platinum or Grade-A crack. Speaking of which, I wonder if my $80 would have been better spent if I just went downtown, bought a couple pounds of marijuana, got a blow-job from a hooker and then used what was left over to treat myself to dinner at the city's top-rated steak house?
I went without two $300 medications (I have no insurance) for many months. There's not much to be done about it, really. When I had insurance, my medications were around $75 a month, for all of them combined. There's research costs to be recovered, and money to be made. That's the nature of the business, here. I don't like it, but that's the way it is. When you're the low man on the totem pole, and lots of people standing on your head, there's not much you can do.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 01:06 AM   #7
marksound
Fleet Captain

There are drug companies in the US that will absorb some of the cost of medications if you can't afford it. It's worth looking into.

The main thing to remember is that the bigger the bureaucracy you build to manage and regulate a thing, the heavier the cost of that bureaucracy becomes. There are a few things that government does very well, but most things government just FUBARs.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 01:23 AM   #8
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

What we really need is a single payer healthcare system. While no system is perfect, ours seems to be particularly bad if you don't have a constant influx of cash. Even those who are middle to upper middle class encounter problems, where a single surgery can bring on ruinous debt.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
Old August 11 2013, 01:33 AM   #9
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I had a medicine I was on last year that was 240 dollars! That was with insurance....
ETA: If I'd gotten the pills, it wouldn't have cost so much, but the Carafate suspension took effect much, much quicker. So that's why my gastroenterologist prescribed it.

Last edited by Peach Wookiee; August 11 2013 at 02:18 AM.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 01:37 AM   #10
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure what to call the drug but it's a supplement to an anti-depressant to further help stabilize mood and lower anxiety.

I get companies need to recoup costs on R&D and such but $80 (or $800) for 30 tiny little pills strikes me as too much. It's them milking people who are sick and need medication for money, they want their payday now, now, NOW! And if one has to spend a week's salary to get this medication then so be it!

Sorry, don't buy into it. Especially since this medication is available for much, much less in Canada.
Old August 11 2013, 01:48 AM   #11
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Hence the "and money to be made" part of my earlier statement. Once costs are covered, there's a shitload of money to make off the drug, and it will likely be re-purposed several times (see: Cymbalta) before every cent has been wrung from it.
Old August 11 2013, 02:18 AM   #12
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Yeah. My mom's eyedrops are pricey as heck...
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 02:32 AM   #13
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

The whole "R&D cost" thing is complete bullshit, made up by the drug companies to justify their outrageous prices and marketing tactics.

Marcia Angell, MD, former editor-in-chief of the New England Journal of Medicine, wrote a scathing book called The Truth About the Drug Companies.

"But while the rhetoric is stirring, it has very little to do with reality. First, research and development (R&D) is a relatively small part of the budgets of the big drug companies—dwarfed by their vast expenditures on marketing and administration, and smaller even than profits. In fact, year after year, for over two decades, this industry has been far and away the most profitable in the United States. (In 2003, for the first time, the industry lost its first-place position, coming in third, behind “mining, crude oil production,” and “commercial banks.”) The prices drug companies charge have little relationship to the costs of making the drugs and could be cut dramatically without coming anywhere close to threatening R&D."

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/arch...gination=false

She documents the business practices and questionable science with great precision and citation.

Big Pharma can, indeed, kiss my white, hairy ass too.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 02:33 AM   #14
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I don't know if it's relevant, but the prescription for Prevacid is $160/30 caps before copay, but the OTC for the same exact thing (name brand) is around $25/30 caps.

Now, Trekker's script may be a new drug, but that shit is wildly overinflated price-wise no matter how they justify it.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 02:34 AM   #15
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Agreed, I don't buy into the "R&D" cost thing. The full price for this medication is almost $800 for a one-month supply. That's complete and utter bullshit.