Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 10 2013, 10:54 PM   #1
propita
Rear Admiral

Have heel spurs? What did you do about them?

So I knew I had one on each heel from years ago, but both feet started bothering me, so I went to the doctor.

X-rays showed THREE spurs on EACH heel!

One at the back top, going up; one at the back bottom, going up; one at the from of the heel, going forward. I'm not in as much pain as I "should" be, but there have been morning where I've just about fallen down because my feet refused to support anything.

I'm doing the stretching exercises, and things have improved a lot, but it's been about 6 weeks. First steps are always tricky but walking a lot isn't so bad once I'm going.

Anybody here have tips, besides stretching exercises? I have VERY tight muscles, generally, and the spurs are mostly from that.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 05:40 AM   #2
propita
Rear Admiral

Re: Have heel spurs? What did you do about them?

NOBODY has them?

Nobody can offer tips besides stretching exercises?
Old August 11 2013, 07:22 AM   #3
RoJoHen
Awesome

I've never even heard of them until this thread. I had to google it to figure out what you were talking about. I figured this was going to be about cowboy boots.
Old August 11 2013, 08:22 PM   #4
Jan
Commodore

Stretching exercises didn't do a thing for me. I got expensive custom orthotics that did wonders and when they wore out, I got ones that can be bought in any pharmacy. I make sure they're in everything from slippers to dress shoes and I've been pain-free for years now.

Good luck.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 09:43 PM   #5
propita
Rear Admiral

Do you have a description or brand name?
Old August 11 2013, 10:33 PM   #6
Jan
Commodore

I make sure I'm wearing shoes with good arch support (like Dr. Scholls) and then my favorite insert is the Profoot 2 oz Miracle which are both cheap and very comfortable. I use the full insert but it looks like they have ones that concentrate on arch support which might work. Thankfully I'm at an age where it's approprate to wear 'old lady' shoes but I wouldn't care even if I weren't.

Seems counter-intuitive to concentrate on arch support for heel pain, but it really worked for me. As I recall, and it's been years since I've been to the podiatrist, the treatment plan went stretching, orthotics, cortisone shots, then surgery. Glad I was able to stop with the orthotics. Good luck!!

Jan
Old August 12 2013, 12:20 AM   #7
propita
Rear Admiral

I had one cortisone shot, sometime back in the '90s. I was holding Hubby's hand--VERY tightly--and just kept saying "Shit, that hurts!" while keeping my leg very still.

I'll look into orthotics.

Jan, do you think I need to see a podiatrist to get the right orthotic?
Old August 12 2013, 02:06 AM   #8
YJAGG
Lieutenant Commander

Cuurently being treated for them...got ortodics using a night splint and a walking boot but will consider surgery after the missus delivers
YJAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 03:57 AM   #9
Jan
Commodore

propita wrote: View Post
Jan, do you think I need to see a podiatrist to get the right orthotic?
It probably wouldn't hurt, but I guess that depends on what the doctor you're seeing now recommends and how much confidence you have in him/her.

I went directly to the podiatrist back then because I didn't really trust my primary Dr. to pull a splinter. I don't know if getting the custom orthotics made a huge difference or if something non-custom would have worked as well. I do remember that I got relief pretty much immediately.

If your doctor does want to go to orthotics, it would probably be worthwhile to ask about trying something available 'over the counter' (for lack of a better term). When I got my custom ones back then, the co-pay was huge because they were considered 'durable medical equipment'.

It's definitely worth following up on - I don't even have any pain at all for those first few steps any more but I sure remember how much they used to hurt!

Jan