Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 11 2013, 07:05 PM   #46
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: Am I the only one that felt uncomfortable about the old Hurt Seria

Ah, the missing Hurt episodes that were broadcast between the hours of 3 and 6am on BBC 4 when only a few of us had BBC 4 and in the changeover from Video to DVD nobody could record the bloody things!

I remember some of us used to call this 'Doctor Hurt' considering how nasty the Doctor got. I mean, remember that Star Trek crossover episode that saw William Shatner return? I was jumping for joy that Kirk was back until the Doctor dropped him off on the Enterprise D's battle Bridge seconds before it explodes with the Doctor babbling something about Kirk having to die on the bridge, not under it.
Old August 11 2013, 09:59 PM   #47
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I love the Hurt serials! The dark tone is what I want the series to return to. I especially love the episode when he raped then killed Romana III, oh, and when he bought Andric back to life just to torture him to death.

Another serial I love is when he blows up a ship with Davros in it, and at the last moment Davros thought the Doctor was going to save him as the other doctors would have, but instead he was just sent a piece of paper with a troll face on it. The whole reason Davros declined Tennant's invitation to be saved in Journeys End is because he was convinced something nasty would happen. Maybe as there were two doctors a bit of gang rape.

Oh, and the episode when he met the seventh doctor and tried to shove a screwdriver up his backdoor really amused me. Sylvester McCoy knew it was in the script, but didn't know how far Hurt would actually go to make it look real. It's why he petitioned to the other doctors to officially denounce him as a doctor, and is why we had two ninth doctors. Man did that confuse people. They added in that Shalka shit just to try and make people forget about Hurt.

What, he is called John Hurt for a reason you know.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 10:01 PM   #48
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Oh, who remembers the Star Wars cross Over? Skinned Chewbacca alive and used him as a rug in the TARDIS. Is the reason he won't be in Star Wars 7.

Oh, and when he forced Peri to give him a "happy ending" in that episode when the Slitheen took over Skaro.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 11:21 PM   #49
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Dammit. I woke up in the wrong universe again.
Old August 11 2013, 11:36 PM   #50
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Saul wrote: View Post
Ah, the missing Hurt episodes that were broadcast between the hours of 3 and 6am on BBC 4 when only a few of us had BBC 4 and in the changeover from Video to DVD nobody could record the bloody things!
Its amazing how they seemingly keep finding old episodes but not be able to find those Hurt episodes. Blaster acid rain!

I remember some of us used to call this 'Doctor Hurt' considering how nasty the Doctor got. I mean, remember that Star Trek crossover episode that saw William Shatner return? I was jumping for joy that Kirk was back until the Doctor dropped him off on the Enterprise D's battle Bridge seconds before it explodes with the Doctor babbling something about Kirk having to die on the bridge, not under it.
I think you're misremembering - it wasn't an episode, but a special. 90 minutes long, in fact.

But personally, I loved it - to see Kirk having to guide the remnants of the Enterprise D into the Veridian sun was infinitely more preferable than Generations was, and a suitable fate for the greatest Captain of them all... and it all happened on a Doctor Who special! How remarkable.

Still, I could've done without the Ferengi...
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 11:38 PM   #51
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post
Its amazing how they seemingly keep finding old episodes but not be able to find those Hurt episodes. Blaster acid rain!

I think you're misremembering - it wasn't an episode, but a special. 90 minutes long, in fact.

But personally, I loved it - to see Kirk having to guide the remnants of the Enterprise D into the Veridian sun was infinitely more preferable than Generations was, and a suitable fate for the greatest Captain of them all... and it all happened on a Doctor Who special! How remarkable.

Still, I could've done without the Ferengi...
That wasn't 90 minutes, it was 9 minutes. But it was a special. No wonder Children in Need didn't do so well that year...
Old August 12 2013, 01:18 AM   #52
Ginger
Cadet

Psion wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what universe I am in! Can somebody please explain, preferably in short and unthreatening words, what the flaming hell are you all talking about?!

Have I slipped into some parallel universe? Is this a huge joke? Is it mass hysteria? What are these "Hurt serials"? Were they live action? Were they made by the BBC? Universal? BVB? Fans? Ian Levine?

Seriously, I have never, ever heard of these - interesting as they sound I can find no trace they ever existed even, other than links back to these pages or blogs of those posting here. Did the BBC send out goons to destroy all knowledge? Did they put something in the water to make us forget?

If I am being obtuse and ruining the game, sorry, but could somebody please explain. Thanks.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 01:32 AM   #53
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Check out some of the other threads NewspaperTaxi has started, especially the one about the 12th (Or later?) Doctor Episodes, before Matt Smith announced his departure. This was apparently a Future NewspaperTaxi. [RiverSong] SPOILERS [/RiverSong]

And yes, as stated earlier in the thread, The BBC has gone to great lengths to erase the existence of the Hurt Serials, even to the point of sending goons with Amnesia drugs, if you did manage to record any

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 01:51 AM   #54
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Ginger wrote: View Post
Psion wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what universe I am in! Can somebody please explain, preferably in short and unthreatening words, what the flaming hell are you all talking about?!

Have I slipped into some parallel universe? Is this a huge joke? Is it mass hysteria? What are these "Hurt serials"? Were they live action? Were they made by the BBC? Universal? BVB? Fans? Ian Levine?

Seriously, I have never, ever heard of these - interesting as they sound I can find no trace they ever existed even, other than links back to these pages or blogs of those posting here. Did the BBC send out goons to destroy all knowledge? Did they put something in the water to make us forget?

If I am being obtuse and ruining the game, sorry, but could somebody please explain. Thanks.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 01:59 AM   #55
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Too much Claudia Black? Heresy!
Didn't they cast her as Leela? I heard they thought Louise Jameson was too old for the role?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 02:01 AM   #56
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

^ I think that was the original plan/rumor, but it got retooled into casting her as the Rani's regeneration. Stroke of genius, for my mind.

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
That does bring up the age old question of who was the best companion for Hurt. As you say, Lindsay only got 2 episodes, well 3 (and a lizard). Claire McCrimmon, on the other hand, was around a good long while, all things considered, and had a great impact on the show. Back then a lot of people derided her for simply being a "second-generation" knockoff character, but I don't think those folks really understood what was going on. Much like Frobisher.

It was good to see a couple of actual alien companions again, though, too.
Claire for me, indubitably. Stuck around a long time, interesting and funny companion that could do action and drama in equal parts with a backstory tied to the show but not weighted down by it. I'm really glad Lauren Cohen has had continued success.

I gotta give them credit for "Alex," too. I know he wasn't for everybody but doing a companion based on the "Grey Alien" urban legends was pulled off much better than I expected when it could have been really hokey. Just a shame his species was wiped out in the Time War - kind of surprised RTD and Moffat stuck with that, but so it goes.
Old August 12 2013, 02:24 AM   #57
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Is this a huge joke?
DING DING DING DING DING!
Old August 12 2013, 02:37 AM   #58
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Is this a huge joke?
I hated it when that became the theme.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 02:37 AM   #59
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Is this a huge joke?
Just add your favorite Hurt ep thoughts, or what you hated most about his run as the Doctor!

I just wish he had come back to do the regeneration. It was jarring to see Eccleston in "Rose" so suddenly.
Old August 12 2013, 03:18 AM   #60
The Wormhole
Admiral

P0sitr0nic wrote: View Post
I just wish he had come back to do the regeneration. It was jarring to see Eccleston in "Rose" so suddenly.
A regeneration scene was slapped together at the last minute, like literally filmed a few weeks before it aired. Though it was just Eccleston in a gray wig and dressed in Hurt's costume. They were going to add it into the episode, but the director was less than impressed at the piss-poor job done on the regeneration effect as a result of rushed CGI so it was left out. The scene is available as an easter egg on the DVD.