IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 9 2013, 02:43 AM   #1
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Finger Dexterity, The Number 3 and What is Wrong?

Sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with me when it comes to my finger dexterity. For example, I can't do the Vulcan finger salute with my right (dominant) hand. I can't get my ring finger and pinky to stay together. I do, however, have no trouble doing it with my left hand.

Then there's signing the number 3 with fingers. There's a few ways this can be done but the common way I see is people who curl in their thumb and pinky together leaving their ring, middle and index finger spread out to show the number. This I just cannot do at all it almost hurts. So I either do the reverse (hold back the index finger with the thumb) or the German/ALS way of using the thumb and, index and middle finger.

So I guess I have a combo question here.

1. Can you do the Vulcan salute with your right hand? Dominant hand? Both hands? Neither hand?

2. How do you show the number 3 with your hand.

3. Do I have -1 to DEX on my fingers?
Old August 9 2013, 02:48 AM   #2
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Finger Dexterity, The Number 3 and What is Wrong?

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with me when it comes to my finger dexterity. For example, I can't do the Vulcan finger salute with my right (dominant) hand. I can't get my ring finger and pinky to stay together. I do, however, have no trouble doing it with my left hand.

Then there's signing the number 3 with fingers. There's a few ways this can be done but the common way I see is people who curl in their thumb and pinky together leaving their ring, middle and index finger spread out to show the number. This I just cannot do at all it almost hurts. So I either do the reverse (hold back the index finger with the thumb) or the German/ALS way of using the thumb and, index and middle finger.

So I guess I have a combo question here.

1. Can you do the Vulcan salute with your right hand? Dominant hand? Both hands? Neither hand?

1. I can do the Vulcan salute with both hands.
2. I usually do it the classic "middle three fingers" way, though sometimes I do it the "last three fingers" way.
3. Probably, but you can make up for it with +5 Frustration.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 02:55 AM   #3
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I am not sure what "German/ALS" means (American Sign Language?), but that's how I usually do it.

One: thumb (when counting), or index (when showing: as in "I want only one of that").
Two: thumb and index (when counting), or index and middle (when showing).
Three: thumb, index and middle.
Four: all except pinky (when counting), or all except thumb (when showing).

No problem doing the vulcan salute, with both hands.

Last edited by iguana_tonante; August 9 2013 at 03:18 AM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 03:36 AM   #4
Davros
Fleet Admiral

1. Vulcan salute with either hand equally
2. index, middle, and ring fingers. [right hand ring finger, and pinky when dispaying 3 in binary]
3. possibly
Old August 9 2013, 03:48 AM   #5
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

1. Both hands
  2. Index, middle, ring
Old August 9 2013, 06:36 AM   #6
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

I can do the Vulcan salute with both hands (I'm left-handed), but only with my right hand can I make all the extended fingers lie in the same plane. When I do the salute with my left hand with the palm facing outward, the index and middle fingers tilt back slightly and the ring and pinky fingers tilt forward.

I always extend my thumb, index and middle fingers to indicate the number 3.

Do I have -1 to DEX on my fingers?
Which means . . . what, exactly?
Old August 9 2013, 08:18 AM   #7
sojourner
Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
I am not sure what "German/ALS" means (American Sign Language?), but that's how I usually do it.
Go watch Inglorious Bastards.
Old August 9 2013, 09:48 AM   #8
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I can do the Vulcan Hand Salute with both hands. I can also do the Boston Driver Salute with both hands.

Index, middle and ring fingers. Or, for emphasis, I make a fist and pound on the person's head three times.

No, you just have a speech impediment.
Old August 9 2013, 10:53 AM   #9
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

sojourner wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Go watch Inglorious Bastards.
It's also how three is signed in American Sign Language.
Old August 9 2013, 11:05 AM   #10
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Both hands, quite easily

I can do the three middle fingers on my left hand but not my right hand. If I try it on my right hand I cannot straighten up my ring finger. However I generally use the thumb, index and middle finger of my left hand, palm inwards to show the number three.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 02:27 PM   #11
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Salute with both hands and the "pinkie-thumb" across the palm way of doing 3.

Although I can still do the salute with my left hand, I can't do the "3" thing very well as I damaged the third finger of my left hand in high shool, it was split open and hasn't worked 100% since.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 05:19 PM   #12
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

I can do the Vulcan salute with both hands, but not the Girl Scout salute, and I was a Girl Scout for years.

I cannot straighten my index finger when I do the salute. I can't even force it straight with my other hand when my pinky and thumb are in that position.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangledcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 08:44 PM   #13
Death of Rats
Commodore

1. both hands. After a severe tendeon injury on my dominant (right) hand I was forced to do many things with the left one until after a few years a surgery mended most of the damage. I am still ambidextruous, though.

2. usually by folding in thumb and pinkie and showing the three middle fingers (they are of an almost equal length and therefore are easier to see fom afar)

3. sounds like your fingers could be a little more mobile. Try playing an instrument: recorder / flute, piano, guitar all improve your motorical skills. If your finger muscles are weak, try a clothepeg: squeeze it open with thumb and forefinger, thumb and middle finger, thumb and ring finger, thumb and pinkie. If you can do it with a plastic one, switch to wooden clothepegs - they have stronger springs.
Also, look for finger training tips on websites for pianists, guitarists and surgeons.
There are a few pretty good exercises here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeijO73mexk
Don't get frustrated - I've been playing recorders for 45 years, guitar for 32 years and have been wielding scalpels for 29 years now and still there are quite a few things in that video I can't do (yet) (But I love challenges!)
Old August 9 2013, 08:54 PM   #14
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
I can do the Vulcan salute with both hands, but not the Girl Scout salute, and I was a Girl Scout for years.

I cannot straighten my index finger when I do the salute. I can't even force it straight with my other hand when my pinky and thumb are in that position.
Yeah, I can't do that all, I can kind-of force it with my left hand using my right hand to push the fingers into position but they spring out once I take away my hand. Can't even force it on my right hand. Ugh, stuff like this makes me all freaked out and antsy like I have some sort of odd condition and medical problem.

It's not like I need to do the Vulcan Salute a lot or need to show the number-3 in that way given the other ways I can do it (I sort of prefer the German/European/ASL way of doing it using the thumb as one of the counts) but for my own mental security it worries me that my fingers can't be dexterous enough to do a "3" the "common" way of doing it, it seems, using the thumb touching the pinky. "Boy Scout Salute."

And I was IN the Boy Scouts! I don't recall if I had trouble doing the salute or not, though.
Old August 9 2013, 08:57 PM   #15
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

^I really think it's no big deal.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangledcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote