RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Posts: 5,428,861
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 506
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 11 2014, 02:25 AM   #1
TalkieToaster
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Did Harlan Ellison ever give an opinion on the spinoffs?

We all know about his longstanding grudge with Trek, so I wondered if he'd ever given an opinion on the Trek spinoffs. Anyone know?
TalkieToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 02:42 AM   #2
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Did Harlan Ellison ever give an opinion on the spinoffs?

Harlan Ellison's opinions .. don't care.



T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 03:39 PM   #3
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Did Harlan Ellison ever give an opinion on the spinoffs?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Harlan Ellison's opinions .. don't care.
Seconded.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 03:51 PM   #4
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: Did Harlan Ellison ever give an opinion on the spinoffs?

Third.

From what I read and heard about the man, the only one who truly cares about Ellison's opinion, is Ellison.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 05:53 PM   #5
Nebusj
Rear Admiral
 
Nebusj's Avatar
 
View Nebusj's Twitter Profile
Re: Did Harlan Ellison ever give an opinion on the spinoffs?

Yeah, who cares what some old cranky guy says? Even if he's got a long history of perceptive criticisms about science fiction and a great narrative style explaining them? He's old and says mean stuff about Gene Roddenberry and gropes women on stage so anything he says is stupid anyway!
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral
 
Jonas Grumby's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere in the South Pacific
Re: Did Harlan Ellison ever give an opinion on the spinoffs?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Harlan Ellison's opinions .. don't care.
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Seconded.
Mage wrote: View Post
Third.


I have to admit I kinda feel the same way. Somewhere along the way, I think ol' Harlan crossed the line from "grumpy but amusing curmudgeon" into "ill-tempered and unpleasant old man" territory.
__________________
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer
Jonas Grumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Did Harlan Ellison ever give an opinion on the spinoffs?

Nebusj wrote: View Post
Yeah, who cares what some old cranky guy says? Even if he's got a long history of perceptive criticisms about science fiction and a great narrative style explaining them? He's old and says mean stuff about Gene Roddenberry and gropes women on stage so anything he says is stupid anyway!
Gene is the creator of Star Trek. He is the great Bird. He created Star Trek, which spawned a fandom that lasts to this day. Not many franchises can boost such a devoted following. Ellison just has no right to disrespect the intellectual giant that was Gene Roddenberry.
__________________
Lex Luthor is a true American hero.

Last edited by Hound of UIster; May 11 2014 at 07:47 PM.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 07:27 PM   #8
drt
Commander
 
Re: Did Harlan Ellison ever give an opinion on the spinoffs?

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
Harlan Ellison's opinions .. don't care.
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Seconded.
Mage wrote: View Post
Third.


I have to admit I kinda feel the same way. Somewhere along the way, I think ol' Harlan crossed the line from "grumpy but amusing curmudgeon" into "ill-tempered and unpleasant old man" territory.
I think a bit of that is a media affectation. I met and spoke with Ellison years ago - I found him to be rather pleasant and engaging in person.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 07:43 PM   #9
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Did Harlan Ellison ever give an opinion on the spinoffs?

TalkieToaster wrote: View Post
We all know about his longstanding grudge with Trek, so I wondered if he'd ever given an opinion on the Trek spinoffs. Anyone know?
Ellison did give Trek XI a positive review and even said he'd like to work with Abrams. Don't know if he ever commented on TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 08:38 PM   #10
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Did Harlan Ellison ever give an opinion on the spinoffs?

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Nebusj wrote: View Post
Yeah, who cares what some old cranky guy says? Even if he's got a long history of perceptive criticisms about science fiction and a great narrative style explaining them? He's old and says mean stuff about Gene Roddenberry and gropes women on stage so anything he says is stupid anyway!
Gene is the creator of Star Trek. He is the great Bird. He created Star Trek, which spawned a fandom that lasts to this day. Not many franchises can boost such a devoted following. Ellison just has no right to disrespect the intellectual giant that was Gene Roddenberry.
I don't like either of them.

I like some of their work though...
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 10:58 PM   #11
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod
 
Misfit Toy's Avatar
 
Location: Transporter buffer
Re: Did Harlan Ellison ever give an opinion on the spinoffs?

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Nebusj wrote: View Post
Yeah, who cares what some old cranky guy says? Even if he's got a long history of perceptive criticisms about science fiction and a great narrative style explaining them? He's old and says mean stuff about Gene Roddenberry and gropes women on stage so anything he says is stupid anyway!
Gene is the creator of Star Trek. He is the great Bird. He created Star Trek, which spawned a fandom that lasts to this day. Not many franchises can boost such a devoted following. Ellison just has no right to disrespect the intellectual giant that was Gene Roddenberry.
There are people with FAR less "right" than Ellison who disrespect Roddenberry in virtually every forum on this board...
__________________
Woof.
Misfit Toy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 01:36 AM   #12
Shawnster
Fleet Captain
 
Shawnster's Avatar
 
Location: Clinton, OH
Re: Did Harlan Ellison ever give an opinion on the spinoffs?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
TalkieToaster wrote: View Post
We all know about his longstanding grudge with Trek, so I wondered if he'd ever given an opinion on the Trek spinoffs. Anyone know?
Ellison did give Trek XI a positive review and even said he'd like to work with Abrams. Don't know if he ever commented on TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT.
Or, in simpler language: "Hey JJ, it's Harlan, let's remake City on the Edge of Forever for the next Trek movie."
Shawnster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 01:45 AM   #13
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Did Harlan Ellison ever give an opinion on the spinoffs?

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Nebusj wrote: View Post
Yeah, who cares what some old cranky guy says? Even if he's got a long history of perceptive criticisms about science fiction and a great narrative style explaining them? He's old and says mean stuff about Gene Roddenberry and gropes women on stage so anything he says is stupid anyway!
Gene is the creator of Star Trek. He is the great Bird. Ellison just has no right to disrespect the intellectual giant that was Gene Roddenberry.
You ARE being sarcastic, right? I mean we are talking about one of the greatest fantasists, and an awesome freaking essayist and a pretty amazing screenwriter (and no I'm not talking about GR.)

I'd be surprised if Ellison even bothered to watch more than a few hours of BermanTrek -- probably just eps of folks he was friends with.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 01:47 AM   #14
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: Did Harlan Ellison ever give an opinion on the spinoffs?

Given that Harlan's original version of "City on the Edge of Forever" featured drug dealers among the Enterprise crew, it would come as no surprise to me that JJ's more relatively gritty and downbeat portrayal of Star Trek's future would appeal more to him.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 04:43 AM   #15
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Did Harlan Ellison ever give an opinion on the spinoffs?

Lance wrote: View Post
Given that Harlan's original version of "City on the Edge of Forever" featured drug dealers among the Enterprise crew, it would come as no surprise to me that JJ's more relatively gritty and downbeat portrayal of Star Trek's future would appeal more to him.
Gritty? Downbeat? Did we watch the same movies?
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.