TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 11 2013, 12:28 AM   #76
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile
Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
They weren't to begin with. I'm pretty sure the Earth would function just fine without us.
There's a difference between life before humans came along in the first place, and life after humans have been exterminated by robots.

But that's why we have Old Glory Insurance.
Old August 11 2013, 12:34 AM   #77
Warped9
Admiral

I just got back from seeing this. I give it an "B+" overall even though I quite enjoyed it in general.

It's gorgeous to look at. All the high tech is given a very believable veneer. There's shiny new tech right alongside well used tech that's been banged up over time. I felt it had a decent balance of exposition and action.

There is a viewpoint here---no question---and it ain't subtle, but it's presented in such broad strokes that it can only be taken as allegory and not taken literally with any seriousness. The real world is more nuanced than what's presented in the film, but that's true with most film and television.

I did find the characterizations shallow or at least not very fleshed out. It's basically this is this person and this is that one and that one and so on and this is what they do. Matt Damon is essentially the generally decent, but somewhat selfish reluctant hero. Sharlto Copley is batshit crazy and Jodie Foster is a cold bitch, and they're not really much deeper than that.

I'd like to see it again and I'll probably add it to my library.

Good, but not stellar.
Old August 11 2013, 01:07 AM   #78
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

I'll be kind and say meh.
The bad guys would've won if someone had the good sense of putting Max under sedation before extracting the information. Or turning of his super suit.

It looks good, but often times heavy handed, we know he's going to help the woman and his daughter, can we just get to it? And yes, all wealthy people are bad.

It's a film pretty forgettable, honestly.
Old August 11 2013, 01:13 AM   #79
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Base_Delta_Zero wrote: View Post
Epic Rant
Yeah, that about sums up my thoughts on the film.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 01:54 AM   #80
Warped9
Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
And yes, all wealthy people are bad.
Well the movie falls down on this point because the only ones we see are a handful who are part of those running things and they're all just sketches of characters. We're told how some supposedly live in Elysium, but we're not really shown. So in fairness we don't really know what all the people are like. We're led to assume everyone is guilty (bad) simply by being on Elysium.
Old August 11 2013, 02:07 AM   #81
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I saw it today and it was all right. I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as District 9 and it's nowhere near as good. I thought Jodie Foster was in an M. Night Shyamalan film with that stupid speaking voice she adopted. She was stuck with such a cardboard villain character it wasn't even funny. A wasted role for her. The film was thin in spots regarding characterization and story.

Still, this movie had a few things going for it...

-Sharlto Copley stole the show as Kruger. Hell, I found myself rooting for him at times despite how horrible the character he portrayed was. Seriously, this guy has to make more films because he's terrific.

-Between District 9 and Elysium, Neil Blomkamp knows how to create a sci-fi world.

-I liked the Spider character too.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 06:32 AM   #82
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Base_Delta_Zero wrote: View Post
I want to watch the opening scene from the logical sequel where Elysium and Earth are now both slummy shitholes rife with renewed poverty, disease and warfare since there clearly isn't enough room on the space station for billions of Earthers to immigrate, nor are there enough supplies of meditech to help everyone on Earth. And even if there were somehow enough (which there couldn't possibly be since it was designed to support a tiny population of spacers), if everyone is made effectively immortal with the meditech...Earth will quickly overpopulate, burn through whatever resources it has left and collapse into anarchy...again.

The whole thrust of the final act was to make all people on Earth citizens ... somehow. The AI on Elysium is apparently rebootable and overwritable, but only with a magic boot disk file. It can even install a new president with a line of code! Ummm...what? How? Why would anyone think this was a good system to employ? The movie never addresses any of this.

And apparently all of the "undocumented" people on Earth actually ARE documented, because simply changing the Earth_Population line of code from Illegal to *Legal means Elysium recognizes everyone everywhere BY THEIR NAMES. Um what? How? Before the machines couldn't ID anyone on the station without a raised ID brand, but after the code change, it knows everyone's name and agrees to fix them instantly, launching all of its medical shuttles and droids towards Earth.
It seemed to me the way the robots reacted after the reprogram was that Earth/Elysium could easily heal everybody only the rich with Jodie foster leading the charge much like General Zod in Man of Steel, just didn't want to or have the vision to.

However look how well behaved the earthlings are, the robots didn't even send police to control crowds should a triage system be needed at the medical shuttles
Old August 11 2013, 04:33 PM   #83
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Well the movie falls down on this point because the only ones we see are a handful who are part of those running things and they're all just sketches of characters. We're told how some supposedly live in Elysium, but we're not really shown. So in fairness we don't really know what all the people are like. We're led to assume everyone is guilty (bad) simply by being on Elysium.
I should've been clearer, I guess. Because yeah, that was my point. We basically only see mustache twirling rich people.

In a better movie, the people in the station would've been more complex, perhaps someone there might have been advocating for changes. Who knows? That sort of complexity rarely comes out of Hollywood sci fi.

None of the characters and the groups they belonged to were complex.

Missed opportunity.
Old August 11 2013, 05:04 PM   #84
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Hasn't that been scientifically proven?
Old August 11 2013, 05:39 PM   #85
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

^ Hardly.

The mere concept of having wealth, being rich, is not under attack here. That has always existed and WILL always exist.

It's what is done with the wealth that's the problem. There can be rich people who use their money wisely, and also those who hoard it. This film is apparently concerned only with the latter.
Old August 11 2013, 06:16 PM   #86
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

I just got back from seeing this. I give it an "B+" overall even though I quite enjoyed it in general.

It's gorgeous to look at. All the high tech is given a very believable veneer. There's shiny new tech right alongside well used tech that's been banged up over time. I felt it had a decent balance of exposition and action.

There is a viewpoint here---no question---and it ain't subtle, but it's presented in such broad strokes that it can only be taken as allegory and not taken literally with any seriousness. The real world is more nuanced than what's presented in the film, but that's true with most film and television.

I did find the characterizations shallow or at least not very fleshed out. It's basically this is this person and this is that one and that one and so on and this is what they do. Matt Damon is essentially the generally decent, but somewhat selfish reluctant hero. Sharlto Copley is batshit crazy and Jodie Foster is a cold bitch, and they're not really much deeper than that.
I pretty much agree with everything here. I like that big budget Hollywood films are allowed to have a political message, but this was very heavy handed and blunt. Example, the several mentions of Homeland Security, and the deliberate killing of brown people trying to fly a rickety shuttle "north" to Elysium.

The script, however, needed tightening. There were moments when the story dragged near the beginning, and plot holes big enough to drive a blimp through - like a computer system where a bloodless coup can be conducted by simply changing the President's name on a server. Right.

People who are sticklers for technological anachronisms will have a field day with this film. Not only are people in the world of 2154 still using modern day computer systems, they are operating modern day vehicles. Nice to know that a Chevy truck built today will still be running in 140 years!
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 06:54 PM   #87
Warped9
Admiral

Whenever you're depicting a far future society you have a helluva challenge on your hands: how much time and money are you willing (allowed) to spend on sets, props and post production?

A dystopic future gives you an out---a gimme---because you can recycle all sorts of on hand stuff and most in the audience will go with it. The only time that really might not work is if it's really far future on the order of hundreds to a thousand years or more.

The only other way out of this trap is to set your story away from Earth and you eliminate a lot of stuff you now don't have to show. Even then it's still a challenge.

There's also the challenge of how advanced do you want your future to be? There are ideas in SF literature as well as speculative science books that really push the envelope to the point that some in the audience might not get it.
Old August 11 2013, 07:10 PM   #88
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

TremblingBluStar wrote: View Post
People who are sticklers for technological anachronisms will have a field day with this film. Not only are people in the world of 2154 still using modern day computer systems, they are operating modern day vehicles. Nice to know that a Chevy truck built today will still be running in 140 years!

Yeah, that deeply annoyed me. It was very distracting.

Whenever you're depicting a far future society you have a helluva challenge on your hands: how much time and money are you willing (allowed) to spend on sets, props and post production?
There's a simple solution: Don't give me a year. Don't tell me its 2154.

And, personally, I think it was a choice, perhaps one made by budget, but I think having the cars from our time was a creative choice to further reenforce the message. Give it an every time quality to the movie.

It was a stupid choice. Don't try and give it an "every time" thing and then say it's 2154.

Oh, and another thing that bothered me. Physics. In a space ship under acceleration, bottles wouldn't be floating. They WOULDN'T BE FLOATING. They could've saved some CGI money is someone with a brain said, "hey, this doesn't make sense."

Gah.

This summer has put out a lot of shitty genre movies.
Old August 11 2013, 08:31 PM   #89
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

Oh, I agree. However, plenty of low budget scifi films managed to create vehicles that looked futuristic, but didn't break the budget. Blade Runner is a great example.

A dystopic future gives you an out---a gimme---because you can recycle all sorts of on hand stuff and most in the audience will go with it. The only time that really might not work is if it's really far future on the order of hundreds to a thousand years or more.
If the vehicles looked pieced together, then I would understand. I'm guessing, and I have no proof of this, that the vehicles were kept looking so much like modern day vehicles because they were product placements.

I understand that in the world depicted in the film materials had to be recycled, and thus the tech would look well used, but the body frame of a vehicle built today won't last 140 years, especially given the environmental conditions shown in the film. It would have been a pile of rust after a few decades.
There's a simple solution: Don't give me a year. Don't tell me its 2154.
That would have been a sensible solution.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 09:41 PM   #90
publiusr
Commodore

My only problem is that it will take gov'ts to make something like that station. That's TVA scale +!

More likely, the rich would be against it.

Right now, its sub-orbital flights that get the attention anyway.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote