RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,887
Posts: 5,386,643
Members: 24,715
Currently online: 470
Newest member: Noga74

TrekToday headlines

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 8 2013, 01:46 PM   #1
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

I'm looking forward to seeing Elysium. I really like Matt Damon and Jodi Foster as actors and most of the time both of them don't get involved in poorly developed ideas.

There has been quite a controversy among conservatives about this film over the last couple days - labeling it, 'Hollywood socialism.' I have to agree though that Director Neill Blomkamp denying there are political messages in the film is an outrageous lie.

The critics are giving it a 72% and the audience a 79% which is on par with many of the top films this summer.

Rotten Tomatoes

The Hollywood Reporter calls it a “politically charged flight of speculative fiction.” Newsmax refers to it “sci-fi socialism” and “political propaganda.”
Variety said its one of the “more openly socialist political agendas of any Hollywood movie in memory, beating the drum loudly not just for universal healthcare, but for open borders, unconditional amnesty and the abolition of class distinctions as well.”
But the director of “Elysium,” Neill Blomkamp, begs to differ, as does the film’s star, Matt Damon.
Blomkamp, who rose to fame with the Oscar-nominated sci-fi hit “District 9” in 2009, said his highly-anticipated film has no agenda whatsoever, and claims he isn’t a political filmmaker.
“’Elysium’ doesn’t have a message,” Blomkamp told Wired Magazine, saying he found it unfortunate that critics were drawing parallels between his movie and the Occupy movement, a phenomenon he says wasn’t even a consideration.
The film’s star Matt Damon, too, insists that “Elysium” is not trying to push any political buttons.
“I don’t think it is trying to say anything. It just presents the issue – the distinct difference between the haves and the have nots,” he told FOX411 while promoting the flick. “A science fiction film will work if it is a whole new world, but speaks to the world that we live in, but not in a heavy-handed way. The first order of business for a big summer popcorn movie is to make a kick-ass movie with great action.”
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

Why is it so hard to believe he didn't have an agenda? Just because a bunch of college professors and other professions, desperate to rationalize their education, see all that crap in other people's work, that doesn't mean the creators of those works schemed to advance some hidden agenda as part of a massive world-wide conspiracy.

Just like Shakespeare didn't set out to say even a minute fraction of the shit he supposedly said in his works.

"Ooh, someone's telling a story! It can't just be a story, though! There has to be an agenda because I seeeeeeeeee one! Burn him! Burn him!!!"
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 03:12 PM   #3
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Why is it so hard to believe he didn't have an agenda? Just because a bunch of college professors and other professions, desperate to rationalize their education, see all that crap in other people's work, that doesn't mean the creators of those works schemed to advance some hidden agenda as part of a massive world-wide conspiracy.

Just like Shakespeare didn't set out to say even a minute fraction of the shit he supposedly said in his works.

"Ooh, someone's telling a story! It can't just be a story, though! There has to be an agenda because I seeeeeeeeee one! Burn him! Burn him!!!"

This.

I argued with my English teachers all the time, they wouldn't go "What do you think it means?", they would go "This is what you means! Everyone else is wrong!", like they knew the author or something. Fucking useless.

And the truth is sometime in the future I can see rich living on the Moon and everyone else living on an overcrowded planet. That isn't a political view, just a very real possibility. Why can't that be part of a story? Every story ever written has some kind of point that someone could find as political.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

Sure looks like there's a message. Most stories have a point, don't they? So what is the point of this one? Seems pretty obvious.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 03:32 PM   #5
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
that doesn't mean the creators of those works schemed to advance some hidden agenda as part of a massive world-wide conspiracy.
While I think that the neo-conservatives are way over reacting to this piece of fiction nonetheless, Blomkamp also directed District 9 and anyone claiming that wasn't an illeration to apartheid would be a liar.

In otherwords, he has a history of being involved in politically charged films.

That said - based on how the world is today and where it is headed it isn't a stretch to believe that one day the rich would live off world leaving the poor to live down here.

Shit - that is pretty much how it is today on planet earth.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Sure looks like there's a message. Most stories have a point, don't they? So what is the point of this one? Seems pretty obvious.
The director of the film is denying there is any, 'point,' - claming that it's pure fiction. I'm not sure he's being completely forthright about that.

Last edited by DarthTom; August 8 2013 at 03:42 PM.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

DarthTom wrote: View Post
The director of the film is denying there is any, 'point,' - claming that it's pure fiction. I'm not sure he's being completely forthright about that.
Well, yeah, of course he's not. If he came right out and admitted the message of the film, it might drive people away. So he claims there is no message, viewers know there is one anyway, and there are butts in seats.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 03:58 PM   #7
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

Well, yeah, of course he's not. If he came right out and admitted the message of the film, it might drive people away. So he claims there is no message, viewers know there is one anyway, and there are butts in seats.
Meh, conservatives and the film makers of Atlas Shrugged weren't denying there was a message in the film - in fact they tried to advertise the fact.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 04:06 PM   #8
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Why is it so hard to believe he didn't have an agenda? Just because a bunch of college professors and other professions, desperate to rationalize their education, see all that crap in other people's work, that doesn't mean the creators of those works schemed to advance some hidden agenda as part of a massive world-wide conspiracy.

Just like Shakespeare didn't set out to say even a minute fraction of the shit he supposedly said in his works.

"Ooh, someone's telling a story! It can't just be a story, though! There has to be an agenda because I seeeeeeeeee one! Burn him! Burn him!!!"

This.

I argued with my English teachers all the time, they wouldn't go "What do you think it means?", they would go "This is what you means! Everyone else is wrong!", like they knew the author or something. Fucking useless.

And the truth is sometime in the future I can see rich living on the Moon and everyone else living on an overcrowded planet. That isn't a political view, just a very real possibility. Why can't that be part of a story? Every story ever written has some kind of point that someone could find as political.
It's called allegory. Something that science fiction has always been fond of.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

I'm confused? I haven't seen the movie, but, tthe previews lead me to believe this movie is about an upper class living in a Utopia on a moon or in orbit or something, while the rest of society lives in the Ghetto called Earth, right?

How does that in anyway send a message of Socialism, lack of classes, Universal Healthcare, and every other liberal "Wet Dream" agenda?
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 04:12 PM   #10
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

Sindatur wrote: View Post
How does that in anyway send a message of Socialism, lack of classes, Universal Healthcare, and every other liberal "Wet Dream" agenda?
It's the anti-capitalism message [hyperbole] where capitalism has gone out of control - a muck. In other words, ' this is what will happen if we don't flatten the gap between the have's and the have nots.'
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 04:32 PM   #11
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I'm confused? I haven't seen the movie, but, tthe previews lead me to believe this movie is about an upper class living in a Utopia on a moon or in orbit or something, while the rest of society lives in the Ghetto called Earth, right?

How does that in anyway send a message of Socialism, lack of classes, Universal Healthcare, and every other liberal "Wet Dream" agenda?
DEVIL'S ADVOCATE: From the previews it seems the movie wants to "criticize" those who live in wealth and privilege while everyone else lives in a society where things don't come easy or cheap. The "ultimate liberal dream" is one where I, a person making $40,000 a year, can get access to cheap, good, health care as a person making $400,000 a year. Now, granted, I CAN get good health care thanks to insurance but I still end up having to pay $100s in bills from what insurance doesn't cover, not to mention I hardly get "the best doctor."

Meanwhile that richer person snaps his fingers, gets the best doctors in the country and can either pay the bills off out-right with the money in his couch cushions or can afford great, 100% coverage insurance.

That seems to be what the movie is "attacking" Matt Damon's character needs doctorin' but can't get it living as a poor person on Earth. Meanwhile the rich live in a paradise in the sky with cancer-curing machines in their living room.

I can "see" the message. I don't necessarily think it is there or as obvious as some make but I think I can see where they are coming from.

On the movie itself? I see almost no reason to see. None of the trailers and such I've seen have quite motivated me to see it.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 04:41 PM   #12
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
That seems to be what the movie is "attacking" Matt Damon's character needs doctorin' but can't get it living as a poor person on Earth. Meanwhile the rich live in a paradise in the sky with cancer-curing machines in their living room.
Damon is another hot button in terms of the 'Hollywood Hypocrites,' with conservatives. Damon is a big time advocate for public education yet sends his own children to private schools.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 04:41 PM   #13
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

So a filmmaker expresses a political opinion in a film. Holy shit.

Could we please start to distinguish between a piece of entertainment and politics?

A successful science fiction film is not going to ruin anyone's election campaign, which is what FoxNews is apparently afraid of and why they criticize it so vehemently.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 04:42 PM   #14
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

Oh, OK. I also got the impression from the trailers that something goes horribly wrong in the "upper Class Community", so it didn't really make sense that they were showing "This is what will happen if we don't become Socialists", but, alright, I haven't seen the movie, so really can't judge (Even though I have an extremely high confidence that many of the Establishment Conservatives who are critizing it for it's message know even less about the movie than I do, they're almost certainly parroting the daily Talking Points)
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 05:48 PM   #15
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral
 
Star Wolf's Avatar
 
Location: ciudad de Los Angeles
Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I can "see" the message. I don't necessarily think it is there or as obvious as some make but I think I can see where they are coming from.

On the movie itself? I see almost no reason to see. None of the trailers and such I've seen have quite motivated me to see it.
I think they did everything short of calling the people on earth the 99 percent in the ads.

However the film will win or loss on the strength of the cyborg fight
__________________
I'm not crazy! All I Really Need to Know I learned by Watching The Wire
Star Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.