MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 13 2014, 11:41 PM   #91
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

... to this whole freaking idea. Sounds a lot like Arrow, except much worse, and it's a wonder Arrow is as good as it is in the first place.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 11:49 PM   #92
Christopher
Writer

I don't see the comparison to Arrow. Arrow begins with an adult Oliver Queen already in his vigilante role, taking on fully formed nemeses. The show has been about his maturation from vigilante to hero, sure, but he's been in costume since week one. This sounds far, far more like Smallville. And we've already had Smallville for ten years and it kind of drove the concept into the ground.

I hope the Gordon-centric, police-procedural focus hasn't been entirely abandoned. That's the one thing that could make this more than a Smallville rehash.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 12:20 AM   #93
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't see the comparison to Arrow.
Really? A "city on the brink"? Outlandish criminals/villains? Well-intentioned detectives who just may be overmatched? No superpowers? DC Comics? Benevolent yet tortured billionaires? Am I describing Arrow or this Gotham show here? Still don't see it?
Old January 14 2014, 12:47 AM   #94
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Having Bruce in the show at all is just begging for failure. No one cares about Bruce. We want the Bat. I could see a Gordon centric show working just barely, although introducing batmans rogues before his arrival makes no sense with only a few exceptions. I dont want dark brooding Bruce waffling between his lives mission and maybe being a normal person for the next few years.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 01:26 AM   #95
Christopher
Writer

Gaith wrote: View Post
I don't see the comparison to Arrow.
Really? A "city on the brink"? Outlandish criminals/villains? Well-intentioned detectives who just may be overmatched? No superpowers? DC Comics? Benevolent yet tortured billionaires? Am I describing Arrow or this Gotham show here? Still don't see it?
Hmm, I suppose it's true that there are some similarities, though there are obvious differences as well. Still, just as the "teen hero before he dons the cape" thing feels derivative of Smallville (ironically, since Smallville was retooled from Bruce Wayne to begin with), you're right that the "city on the brink" aspect would probably make it feel derivative of Arrow to many people. Which, again, would be kind of an irony, since Arrow is basically inspired by Nolan's Batman, and Green Arrow has always been something of a Batman clone. So we'd have a show about Bruce Wayne that's seen as derivative of two things that were both derivative of Batman. Which is an unfortunate position to be in.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 02:59 AM   #96
JD
Admiral

Not sure what to make of this. If it really does focus on Bruce Wayne and his evolution into Batman, then I am kind of disappointment. I've been wanting a good live action Batman show for ages, but I don't know if I really want to see them go the Smallville route. We already got that with Superman, and I don't really see the need to do it with Batman too. If you want to do a show with Bruce Wayne, The Riddler, Joker, The Penguin, ect. just do a full on Batman show.
Old January 14 2014, 03:07 AM   #97
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Is this still supposed to be in the Nolanverse as the thread title suggests?
Old January 14 2014, 03:23 AM   #98
JD
Admiral

No, it sounds like it will be influenced by the Nolanverse, but not actually part of it. It really can't be since the Bruce Wayne material sounds like it will be covering the same material as Batman Begins.
Old January 14 2014, 03:27 AM   #99
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Bruce starts out at 12 and puts on the cape in the finale? So either they expect the show to run for 13 years or more, or it's going to have some major time jumps, or they're going to borrow that Silver Age idea that teenage Bruce was the first Robin and adopted that persona to train under a master detective.

This is basically what Millar and Gough were going to do in their Bruce Wayne series before the movie-driven "Bat-embargo" required them to abandon the idea and do Smallville instead. But that was supposed to be about Bruce as a twentysomething adult, I believe, much like Arrow's Oliver Queen. If they are focusing on his teen years, that makes it even more like Smallville.

The statement is unclear on whether Gordon will still be the lead character, whether Bruce's story is the core plot or an ongoing subplot. And what the hell is that turn of phrase, "an operatic soap?" "Soap" is short for "soap opera" to begin with, so that's kind of a tautology.
If Bruce Wayne is really 12, then I can't see how he's the main character. That's a little young for the lead of a Fox series. Even Clark was older than that at the start of Smallville. I'd guess either Gordon is still the main character, or the pilot time jumps until Bruce is 16 which could let him be the lead and makes it plausible to end as Batman.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 03:43 AM   #100
Gaith
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
No, it sounds like it will be influenced by the Nolanverse, but not actually part of it. It really can't be since the Bruce Wayne material sounds like it will be covering the same material as Batman Begins.
It other words: fundamental aspects of the show are in constant flux.
Old January 15 2014, 06:40 PM   #101
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

There were rumours today that Donal Logue had been offered the role of Gordon but he apparently denied it on twitter. I'm too lazy to link.
Old January 17 2014, 08:47 PM   #102
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

But maybe he's Bullock instead? Looks more like it:

http://batman-news.com/2014/01/17/do...don-in-gotham/
Old January 20 2014, 11:49 PM   #103
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Logue would make a pretty good Bullock IMO.
Old March 4 2014, 09:11 PM   #104
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Looks like Bruce and Selena have been cast
Old March 5 2014, 02:03 AM   #105
Mach5
Rear Admiral

There's so much hype surrounding this show, that a single thread just won't cut it, ha?