RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 407
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 1 2013, 05:34 PM   #811
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Gilligan himself likes to believe Jesse "got away" and was able to start over...
That's good enough for me. Breaking Bad is his baby, and so if he says Jesse "got away" then I'll believe it, too.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 06:11 PM   #812
J.T.B.
Commodore

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
As for Jesse, whether he gets away depends on whether anybody in the world has any reason to think he's alive. If the cops do find a confession tape they'll assume the Nazis murdered him.
Cops don't assume anyone is dead unless they have a body, or at least very strong evidence of a death. As I see it, Jesse's best hope is that Hank screwed up the case to the extent that a lot of evidence is inadmissible. But there will be a list of agencies looking to pick up Jesse Pinkman, and prosecutors looking to put someone connected to the Heisenberg operation in the dock. If he doesn't get picked up immediately, he'll be looking over his shoulder for the foreseeable future. Who knows, maybe he'll turn himself in?
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 08:16 PM   #813
Snaploud
Admiral

I think it's likely that they destroyed the tape. We're talking about evidence of multiple homicides, after all.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 09:03 PM   #814
stj
Rear Admiral

Despite the quote from Gilligan, the flashback to Jesse lovingly crafting a box that he gives away for dope suggests that Jesse is doomed.

The episode makes the most sense as a dying delirium, instead of a series of real events. Briefly, too much of the episode was impossible. In its own terms, the plot requires that Walt dies of cancer in the cabin, and Robert Forster gets the money, and Jesse is a slave until he's killed, by his own hand or someone else's, Skylar's in jail and Marie is all alone. And, Todd, Deus Ex Machina made flesh, shacks up with Lydia.

In the end, the episode is jury-rigged so that Walt wins most of the control he sought so desperately rather than face his mortality and achieves courage and serenity in the face of death. For me, the finest expression of what Walt has really been about was his hysteria in the crawlspace. Undoing that, turning Walt into a brave man, is obviously a very popular dramatic choice. Obviously in that sense Gilligan has succeeded triumphantly.

Personally I can't help but feel that Walt's impotence when trying to tyrannize Saul, or manipulate Forster's character, should have been finished with his impotence in mastering his fear. Walt broke when he was diagnosed with cancer. I can't really believe that success in the empire business would regenerate his moral integrity.

I admit the pressures to glorify Walt must have been enormous. (And, I think that even if you were going to go that direction that the contrast between Walt's antihero and Jesse's antivillian really should have been key to the resolution.) Nonetheless, I don't think you can say the series ended well.
Old October 1 2013, 09:28 PM   #815
Mojochi
Commodore

I think the thing to remember about Jesse's future is that his confession tape means nothing if he's dead, & if they dig up Hank where the lottery ticket leads them, then they'll find evidence of Jesse's head being shot open on Hank's phone. The strong likelihood is that they'll assume he somehow got killed while Hank & Steve were working with him, & then of course Hank & Steve we're killed by the monstrous Heisenberg too

That's about as much of a free pass as Jesse could possibly ask for, & despite what people want to think, he has no chance of doing anything personally for Brock, who almost certainly had some kind of outside involvement following the death of his mother, in the time it took Jesse's hair to get that long... months maybe?

Jesse won't be able to take Brock away, & it might be stupid of him to show his face, being suspected dead
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 09:37 PM   #816
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
Now THAT'S how you do a finale! If it hadn't been for all the trouble Hank went through (the gunshot wounds, car wreck by Walt, death for him and Gomez by Nazis), then the DEA should be really thankful Heisenberg came along, since he essentially dismantled the entire crystal meth operations of several states and at least three separate countries.
I hadn't thought of that. Good point!
Mojochi wrote: View Post
That's about as much of a free pass as Jesse could possibly ask for, & despite what people want to think, he has no chance of doing anything personally for Brock, who almost certainly had some kind of outside involvement following the death of his mother, in the time it took Jesse's hair to get that long... months maybe?

Jesse won't be able to take Brock away, & it might be stupid of him to show his face, being suspected dead
Yep - he's probably a ward of the state now at the very least, at most sent to a foster home - well beyond Jesse's access.
Old October 1 2013, 09:43 PM   #817
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

[QUOTE=Agent Richard07;8709898]
marillion wrote: View Post
Chuck Finley wrote: View Post
I will definitely be making that ASAP.
Me too... Of course, we like tourists to come to ABQ and buy it here..

The Candy Lady

She also has a section in the story where she sells "naughty candy" suitable for, well, more adult candy fans..
Wow, she sells a whole line of products including the Heisenberg Hat.

All from a tiny little shop in our "old town" area.... Read an interview with her today and she sees the writing on the walls that the fever pitch for all things Breaking Bad won't be around much longer, so she's going to get all that she can out of it..

Even with the proposed prequel series potentially being based in Albuquerque, I don't think they will be able to match BB for all the hype and promotion potential.
Old October 2 2013, 12:16 AM   #818
davejames
Vice Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
In the end, the episode is jury-rigged so that Walt wins most of the control he sought so desperately rather than face his mortality and achieves courage and serenity in the face of death. For me, the finest expression of what Walt has really been about was his hysteria in the crawlspace. Undoing that, turning Walt into a brave man, is obviously a very popular dramatic choice. Obviously in that sense Gilligan has succeeded triumphantly.
Yeah I kinda felt the same way, and thought Walt was able to take control and manipulate events a little too easily in the finale. And that there were a few too many contrivances along the way (from the cops not checking the area of the bar more thoroughly, to the ultra-rich Graymatter couple not having better security, to being able to park his car in the perfect spot in order to kill all the Nazis, etc).

Although I also think Cranston's subtle and powerful performance does a lot to ground the story and still make it work well anyway. It may have been a bit too much of an "ideal" ending for Walt, and it probably would have been more realistic to see him go out being much more desperate and afraid, but I don't think he was completely glorified here either.

Ultimately even if it wasn't my preferred ending, I still think it works quite well.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 12:38 AM   #819
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

The Schwarz security thing that people keep bringing up is not really relevant. Walt never breached their security. Mrs Schwarz pressed like 20 numbers to shut off the house alarm - Walt was sitting outside in the shadows the entire time and never got in the house until they unlocked it and failed to reactivate the system. People do that all the time, because nobody ever thinks someone is waiting to break in until it's too late. Walt simply exploited their laziness. Nothing contrived about it.
Old October 2 2013, 12:59 AM   #820
Wereghost
Commodore

Caligula wrote: View Post
Gilligan himself likes to believe Jesse "got away" and was able to start over...
That's good enough for me. Breaking Bad is his baby, and so if he says Jesse "got away" then I'll believe it, too.
On the last episode of Talking Bad, Jonathan Banks (Mike) said that he reckoned Jesse ended up looking after Brock. I kind if like that idea. Myself, I had previously thought that maybe he'd end up going through college and becoming a chemistry teacher, so his story and Walt's basically meet while going in opposite directions.

Also thought maybe Jesse would execute Todd point blank, 'cause what would a dramatic finale be without an execution? As it happens, though, I think Vince Gilligan used the episode to remind us that Jesse is basically a decent guy underneath it all. I think Walt's final gesture - giving Jesse the opportunity to kill him - was in part a recognition of that and in part an apology.
Old October 2 2013, 01:05 AM   #821
Borgminister

Come to think of it, even jail for Jesse would be club Fed given what he's been through...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 04:15 AM   #822
J.T.B.
Commodore

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
The Schwarz security thing that people keep bringing up is not really relevant. Walt never breached their security. Mrs Schwarz pressed like 20 numbers to shut off the house alarm - Walt was sitting outside in the shadows the entire time and never got in the house until they unlocked it and failed to reactivate the system. People do that all the time, because nobody ever thinks someone is waiting to break in until it's too late. Walt simply exploited their laziness. Nothing contrived about it.
No, but it was lucky that the Gretchen didn't lock the door behind her. And it was lucky that the Schwartzes' publicist or whatever didn't check back with the New York Times. And on and on. To me it undermined the Walt character a bit. Earlier on, he was shown to rely on his scientific and technical mastery to solve his problems, leaving nothing to chance, and even though he was terrible I had to respect that to a certain degree. But in the finale, he didn't so much engineer his big plan as just catch a string of lucky breaks.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 04:16 AM   #823
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Wereghost wrote: View Post
Caligula wrote: View Post
On the last episode of Talking Bad, Jonathan Banks (Mike) said that he reckoned Jesse ended up looking after Brock. I kind if like that idea. Myself, I had previously thought that maybe he'd end up going through college and becoming a chemistry teacher, so his story and Walt's basically meet while going in opposite directions.
It's nice to think about, but there's absolutely no possible way that Jesse could ever look after Brock. By this time Brock is already in foster care. Jesse has no claim to him, not being any sort of family. Adoption is right out, since Jesse is a former drug addict with a criminal record.
Old October 2 2013, 11:19 AM   #824
Mojochi
Commodore

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
It's nice to think about, but there's absolutely no possible way that Jesse could ever look after Brock. By this time Brock is already in foster care. Jesse has no claim to him, not being any sort of family. Adoption is right out, since Jesse is a former drug addict with a criminal record.
who'd almost certainly face prison time as the last living soul to have association with the infamous Heisenberg drug cartel,

Jesse Pinkman is dead. That's the last word from the photographic evidence on DEA ASAC Hank Schrader's personal phone

It's the only way Jesse remains free, by starting a new life as someone else, & cutting ties with anyone he ever knew. Maybe he can go work for Saul at his Cinnabon in Omaha

Whatever he does, low profile is key
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 11:41 AM   #825
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Here is an interesting read

‘Breaking Bad’: Vince Gilligan Shares 5 Alternate Endings
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote