Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 30 2013, 07:49 PM   #751
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Bashing the writer of a show that ended three years ago because you liked the ending to another show is the very definition of pathetic.
Old September 30 2013, 07:54 PM   #752
davejames
Vice Admiral

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Isn't that the point though? "Chemistry is the study of transformation!"
Witnessing the change from him being a man at the beginning in his underwear, spinning out of control in his life of chaos, to the end, being a man who for his finale has mastered a life of chaos & can include anyone in it he wants, even Elliot & Gretchen
Maybe, but we've also seen at several points in this last season-- mostly notably in Ozymandias-- that he wasn't nearly as powerful and in control as he liked to think he was, and that the tough, badass Heisenberg act was always a bit of a charade.

I just would have liked to have seen that acknowledged a bit more in the final episode as well. To have all of his plans go off without a hitch, and to have everyone suffer the fate he intended, just seemed a bit too easy and ideal to me.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 08:02 PM   #753
Ryan8bit
Commodore

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
The Lost finale was perfect for the series that Lost was and always had been. That the finale was not perfect for everyone who watched it is not the fault of the writers of the show.
I don't get it, whose fault is it? The people watching it?

I disagree, I think the Lost finale was only good for wrapping up the last season of Lost, which wasn't really that good. If you watched the first and last episode back to back, it would be a lot more confusing than watching Breaking Bad's back to back.

And it was the kind of cop out ending like that of Voyager. One where they say that it wasn't about reaching Earth, it was about the journey. In the case of Voyager, it seems to me like it was about both, but the writers couldn't come up with something satisfactory enough to explain that, so they just rely on the other. The same goes with Lost. They built up so much hype and mystery that there's no way they could live up to that, so it was better for them to just focus on what they did. I don't blame them for doing that, and I certainly wouldn't call Lindelof out on it, but I don't think that is by any means any kind of satisfactory ending to what they set up, and certainly is not on any kind of par to Breaking Bad.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 08:16 PM   #754
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

This is the way to end a show. After multiple seasons where your audience does what you want them to do, invest in your characters and their stories, at the end you don't start experimenting and trying stuff you always wanted to try. No, you present your fans with what the they usually want in the end, some sense of credible, meaningful ending. That is what I felt we were given.

Every little loose end was tied up or at least dealt with (except Huell), from Skylar and Marie's fractured relationship, to Walt telling Skylar that he wasn't the one who actually shot Hank (and Gomez). But whan he admitted to Skylar that it was his love of power that created Hisenberg, I was shocked. I just knew he was going to once again envoke his family as his excuse.

As someone posted, the amount of sadness in the episode was unexpected. When Walt held Holly, with the knowledge that this would be the last time he saw her, I was touched. I loved Walt and Jesse's silent little nod, a final goodbye.

I don't see how Walt's finally being able to take care of his family goes against "karma". His family should continue to suffer because of karma? Lest the episode be seen as too redemptive for him, we do get one last Hisenbergian moment from Walt as he kills Lidia for no reason other than her infringing on his perceived meth "copywrite".

Yes, I don't see how Jesse won't be in federal custody before long.

This show has come so far. In it's first couple of seasons it seemed like no one was watching, now it seems to be everywhere. Goodbye to one of television's great dramas.

Last edited by gblews; September 30 2013 at 10:41 PM.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 08:19 PM   #755
Caligula
Vice Admiral

TV's Frank wrote: View Post
Even some people don't like "Citizen Kane", but is it worth bad-mouthing Orson Welles over it?
Definitely not. I don't much care for that movie, but I don't blame Welles for it. In any case, it's not worth blaming a TV show's/movie's creator when they're not always catering to your own personal tastes, and certainly not by calling them a f**khead.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 08:45 PM   #756
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I don't think Citizen Kane is necessarily a fair comparison. Citizen Kane isn't everyone's bag because they prefer action-oriented cinema to slow paced cinematography oriented cinema. Lost's ending is disliked by its own fans, the people who like that sort of thing.

And I really think the hate for the ending is just because people wanted some villain to come out stroking his cat saying "BWA HA HA this was my plan all along and for these reasons, and this is exactly what the island is!"
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 08:53 PM   #757
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Anybody else feel sorry for Bryan Cranston now?

Cause he's NEVER getting a role this good again. Just never.
True.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:00 PM   #758
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

For me, this was as perfect as a series finale Breaking Bad could hope for and receive. I don't think another highly intense, emotional episode. We got that with "Ozymandias" and the subsequent fallout in "Granite State." Instead, we got nicely tied-up closure (maybe too much, but Huell and Brock are kind of still hanging) that stayed true to the core of Walt's and Jesse's characters and the journey they've traveled for five very long seasons.

Unlike many in this thread it seems, I would rank this amongst the greatest series finales such as "Goodnight, Farewell and Amen," "-30-," "Sleeping in Light," and "Blake."

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:04 PM   #759
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I also think, though revenge was Walt's primary motive for killing Lydia, it was not his sole motive. Lydia might have murdered Skyler.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:05 PM   #760
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
The Lost finale was perfect for the series that Lost was and always had been. That the finale was not perfect for everyone who watched it is not the fault of the writers of the show.
In one sense, yes.

Everything in that finale (for LOST) is there and can be used to tell you everything you need to know about just about every mystery on the show that wasn't already explained.

Hell, by the time you get to the first episode of season six, you have everything you need to know to figure out what's going on. It's just a matter of context and knowing what to look for. That so many people "didn't get it" or just outright refuse to actually think about what they saw and form explanations on their own is their own choice. Lost was never a show that spoonfed us answers or made them easy to come by. Why would the finale be any different?
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:14 PM   #761
billcosby
Commodore

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
But it is really stupid how vitriolic people get about TV shows. "Oh NOES, the hours of entertainment I got for free didn't end exactly the way I wanted to. The person who provided all that free entertainment is EVIL for basing his creative decisions on his own vision instead of granting all my personal wishes! I HAVE BEEN PERSONALLY SLIGHTED!"
Not that I'm defending the hateful trolls on these internetz, but some people do actually pay for cable, dvds, etc so it's a stretch to call Breaking Bad 'free entertainment' only because some people steal it. Or... were you calling Lost free entertainment? In which case, network TV throws the argument into a grey area.

Anyway... TV shows: free for some. I guess that's my point. It's very amusing that a well execute finale would please many but draw the ire of those who hates other series' finales. It would be like having a fit on a very excellent Christmas because your Christmas in 1995 was shitty.
"This Christmas was great, but FUCK CHRISTMAS 1995 TO HELL!"

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:20 PM   #762
Caligula
Vice Admiral

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Caligula wrote: View Post
Not that I noticed, however they DID play Marty Robbins' "El Paso" (in which the narrator tells of the girl he loves named "Felina") and that song's appearance was also predicted. What wasn't entirely predicted was the true relevance of the lyrics to the episode's plot.
Absolutely. As soon as I heard it at the beginning (in the snow-covered car), I knew how the episode would end. In fact, it was a play-by-play of "El Paso".

Marty Robbins wrote:
Something is dreadfully wrong for I feel
A deep burning pain in my side.
Though I am trying
To stay in the saddle,
I'm getting weary,
Unable to ride.
Bravo to Breaking Bad.
Bravo, indeed. I've thought a lot more about it since last night. Most interesting is the identity of Walter White's "Felina" and his "Rose's Cantina." The only part I'm still not sure about is exactly who the "handsome young stranger" is supposed to be. It should be obvious but, for some reason, is not.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:27 PM   #763
Ryan8bit
Commodore

In one sense, yes.

Everything in that finale (for LOST) is there and can be used to tell you everything you need to know about just about every mystery on the show that wasn't already explained.

Hell, by the time you get to the first episode of season six, you have everything you need to know to figure out what's going on. It's just a matter of context and knowing what to look for. That so many people "didn't get it" or just outright refuse to actually think about what they saw and form explanations on their own is their own choice. Lost was never a show that spoonfed us answers or made them easy to come by. Why would the finale be any different?
Not wanting to get into a discussion of Lost too much here, that simply isn't true. While a lot can be figured out, there is a lot that also cannot and simply doesn't add up. And I'm not talking about inane shit like explanations for trivial details, but core things like motivations for characters doing what they do going unexplained. It's fine to leave a little mystery, but when characters start doing strange things just because MAGIC, that's basically bad writing. You can't label that as being the fault of people watching it, that's a load of bullshit.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:27 PM   #764
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

18 Fun Easter Eggs, Callbacks, And Moments Of Really Cool Symmetry From The “Breaking Bad” Finale
Old September 30 2013, 09:28 PM   #765
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Not wanting to get into a discussion of Lost too much here, that simply isn't true. While a lot can be figured out, there is a lot that also cannot and simply doesn't add up. And I'm not talking about inane shit like explanations for trivial details, but core things like motivations for characters doing what they do going unexplained. It's fine to leave a little mystery, but when characters start doing strange things just because MAGIC, that's basically bad writing. You can't label that as being the fault of people watching it, that's a load of bullshit.
I disagree entirely. But to further explain why, I'd need you to give me some specific examples of what things you are referring to.