Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 30 2013, 04:38 AM   #706
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
...he took the bullet while protecting Jesse.
Great moment. I'm guessing that someone's gun went off and shot him? He was already on the ground when the M-60 started firing.

Also, whenever Walt reached for the keys on the pool table, they played an eerie sound. I thought that was a nice touch, then I realized that the sound was actually coming from the mechanical recliner that one of the guys was sitting on. Pretty neat that they managed to incorporate that as part of the eerie feel of Walt reaching for the keys.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 04:59 AM   #707
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
...he took the bullet while protecting Jesse.
Great moment. I'm guessing that someone's gun went off and shot him? He was already on the ground when the M-60 started firing.
It was a ricochet from the M-60, I believe. You could see a few of the bullets doing that.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 05:33 AM   #708
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Pretty damn good, all things considered. It's hard to judge how well it all worked given how many of the events were predicted ahead of time by fans. The only real surprise was how Gretchen and Elliot played into things, plus the return of Badger and Skinny Pete. I thought that entire sequence was brilliant.

I also got a huge kick out of the very last scene in the lab, when Badfinger's "Baby Blue" kicked in. It's been fairly commonly discussed that the episode's title, "Felina" is an anagram of "Finale," possibly three elements from the periodic table linked together (Iron, Lithium, and Sodium – Blood, Meth, Tears), and also a play on the title of the song "Feelena" about a man returning to the New Mexico desert to rescue his lost love (and which I gather they played in the episode, though I must have missed that part). Naturally, Reddit spent a lot of time spinning theories about who the "love" would be that he'd be rescuing – Skyler, Jesse, or maybe the money – so I laughed out loud when I realized his one true love all along was not his wife, or his son, or even his money, but the meth. He went out as though ready for one last cook. Beautiful.

Last edited by Gep Malakai; September 30 2013 at 05:45 AM.
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 06:08 AM   #709
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
It's been fairly commonly discussed that the episode's title, "Felina" is an anagram of "Finale," possibly three elements from the periodic table linked together (Iron, Lithium, and Sodium – Blood, Meth, Tears), and also a play on the title of the song "Feelena" about a man returning to the New Mexico desert to rescue his lost love (and which I gather they played in the episode, though I must have missed that part).
Not that I noticed, however they DID play Marty Robbins' "El Paso" (in which the narrator tells of the girl he loves named "Felina") and that song's appearance was also predicted. What wasn't entirely predicted was the true relevance of the lyrics to the episode's plot.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 06:15 AM   #710
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Sounds like those are one and the same, then? The lyrics page I linked says it's by Marty Robbins, titled "Feelena (from El Paso)."

Was it the song that played in the car at the beginning of the episode?
Old September 30 2013, 06:20 AM   #711
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Yes, "El Paso" is what's playing in the car. "Feleena (from El Paso)" is a sequel to that song.
Old September 30 2013, 06:21 AM   #712
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Ah, that makes more sense then. (Guess I'm not as familiar with these as I thought I was!)
Old September 30 2013, 06:22 AM   #713
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Not to worry. I've only familiarized myself with them within the last week or so.
Old September 30 2013, 06:24 AM   #714
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Same. My exposure was basically via Reddit and reading the lyrics online. Clearly need to pay YouTube a visit...

But, anyway, I thought it was great how it ended up playing out. It was a nice bookend of sorts to the pilot, when he was got so entranced by the idea of meth cooking, something that always seemed a bit above and beyond just a way to make quick money. Combined with his admission to Skyler that he did it all for him, he and we had to finally admit that it was always about the meth. (Not that a lot of fans weren't aware of that anyway, but it was nice to see Walt finally admit it. This may have been the first episode of the series where he wasn't spewing defensive bullshit.)

One thing I do wish we had gotten: a flash-forward to see who the characters end up faring. It felt a bit disappointing that the last we saw of Flynn )for example) was him hobbling inside the crappy condo. Maybe that was the point; I dunno. Still, it seemed like it needed just a little...more.
Old September 30 2013, 06:26 AM   #715
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Same. My exposure was basically via Reddit and reading the lyrics online. Clearly need to pay YouTube a visit...
"El Paso": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHRgisdbeY
Old September 30 2013, 06:32 AM   #716
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Caligula wrote: View Post
"El Paso": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHRgisdbeY
And the top-rated comment is already about "Breaking Bad."
Old September 30 2013, 06:36 AM   #717
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Caligula wrote: View Post
Not that I noticed, however they DID play Marty Robbins' "El Paso" (in which the narrator tells of the girl he loves named "Felina") and that song's appearance was also predicted. What wasn't entirely predicted was the true relevance of the lyrics to the episode's plot.
Absolutely. As soon as I heard it at the beginning (in the snow-covered car), I knew how the episode would end. In fact, it was a play-by-play of "El Paso".

Marty Robbins wrote:
Something is dreadfully wrong for I feel
A deep burning pain in my side.
Though I am trying
To stay in the saddle,
I'm getting weary,
Unable to ride.
Bravo to Breaking Bad.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 06:54 AM   #718
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I'd been predicting all week long that Jesse would blow Walt's brains out. I just got done watching online. I was so sure of it that I bet my mother five bucks on it. However...seeing it play out...it rings true to the character that he didn't. I'm glad VG was savvy enough not to script some bull shit sentimental moment between the two men afterwards. Walter knocking Jesse down out of the path of the bullets was as sentimental as the twisted, abusive "bromance" warranted.

The finale was simple, yet I liked it. It fit. Once Hank was dead, it was all over. Walt knew it. Heisenberg was beaten. The truth of his hubris couldn't be denied. Walt admitted he did it for himself. He admitted he enjoyed it. He engineered that some money would be left to his son that couldn't be traced to drugs; he apologized to Sklyer, said goodbye to his daughter, and he saved Jesse though I'm not certain that was his original intention going out there. Once Walt saw him, though, the dye was cast. He owed him one. Sweet Jesus, did Walt ever owe him one. I'm glad there were no flash forwards with anyone's future tied up in a bow. Flynn may or may not get over it and be able to live a normal life. Skyler and Marie may or may not make up. Jesse might use again or he might rise above it all and make a life for himself in Alaska away from the nightmare of his former life. No bows. Walter acknowledged his guilt and left this life. The end. It worked.

Thumbs up.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 07:33 AM   #719
Ethros
Vice Admiral

So who else went straight out and looked up this song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkA7xQb6uPk

Loved the ep, but I still feel kinda sad for Jesse, and coulda done with more closure for him and where's he gonna go next.

Also I presume I'm not wrong in assuming Walt's reflection right at the end was meant to look like Heisenberg?
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 08:05 AM   #720
Chuck Finley
Commander

I just finished watching the finale about an hour ago. I feel like it ended well. It wasn't as good as "face Off", but it was spot on as to what should have happened. There were several cool moments. It was really creepy to see Walt sneak into Gretchen and Elliot's place. It reminded me of a horror movie. Then, it turned out he just wanted to make sure Jr. got the money was awesome. Then, the way he threatened him was genius. When I saw Skinny Pete and Badger, I thought, "laser pointers." Walt's style has always been like that.

Jesse killing Todd was great and Walt just let it happen.

I like that Jesse just let Walt die, rather than shoot him. That was great too.

Walt being cool and calm was reminiscent of Gus. Walt executed his plan perfectly.He tied up all loose ends and went out how he wanted.

Overall, I believe it was a victory for Walt. It didn't end with him and his family on their own private island, but still it was a victory.

I'm very familiar with "El Paso", it's one of my favorite songs and I figured the lyrics would follow the plot, but I didn't put together Felina being the episode title and the girl in the song. Flew right over mt head.

Great ending to a great show. I'm going to miss it.

Edit: I'm so glad I didn't spoil myself.
Chuck Finley is offline   Reply With Quote