IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 30 2013, 03:36 AM   #691
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Vyse wrote: View Post
So glad it didn't fail like Lost and BSG.
Some of the most brilliant finales for me include Battlestar Galactica, Six Feet Under and The Shield, but not Lost.
My favourite series finales are: 1) Star Trek: TNG; 2) The Shield; 3) BSG; 4) Star Trek: DS9; 5) The X-Files (I'm sure this is controversial).

I wouldn't say that Breaking Bad's finale is as good as those (in my opinion), but it still ended the show perfectly.
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 03:40 AM   #692
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I'd say it's one of my favorites because it did what it was supposed to and did it well.

In no order some of my favorites, Breaking Bad, TNG, Six Feet Under, The West Wing.
Old September 30 2013, 03:40 AM   #693
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

I don't think there was anything that could have matched my extremely high expectations for the finale, but despite a slow start, it hit all the necessary points one would anticipate, and wrapped things up in a very satisfactory way. B+.

I figured Badger and Skinny Pete were going to be making a comeback from Gilligan's hint last week about "woodwork," and about halfway through the laser sight thing I guessed that it was them. Walt hiring some professional hitmen just isn't his style. Great scene with them in the car.

I was wondering why Walt was letting Gretchen and Elliot go without any threat or harassment given his anger at them in Granite State, but then he waved his hands and the laser sights came on. I feel bad for them, but that was pretty awesome.

That was a nice scene with some closure between Walt and Skylar. It was good to see him be honest to her finally.

It was great that Walt took down the Nazis with one last bit of science/engineering rather than just manning the gun himself.

Lydia being poisoned with the ricin in the Stevia packet was obvious, but still satisfying, as was Jesse getting to kill Meth Damon finally.

Walt dying after achieving some small bit of redemption and closure was about the best way this could have ended, and I'm happy with it.

The finale wasn't the best episode of the series or even this season (the episode where Hank dies and Skylar pulls the knife on Walt was superior), but given how amazing this show and season have been, it was still an excellent way to close out the series.
Old September 30 2013, 03:40 AM   #694
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Fantastic! Sure, it wasn't the BEST finale ever, but it was the right one for "Breaking Bad." It's rare for a great series to go out on top.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 03:42 AM   #695
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I thought it was good but not great. A lot of good individual scenes but I'm not sure it added up as well as it could. I found the last ten minutes to be rather off for this show.
Old September 30 2013, 03:44 AM   #696
Vyse
Lieutenant

The Habs Fan wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Vyse wrote: View Post
So glad it didn't fail like Lost and BSG.
Some of the most brilliant finales for me include Battlestar Galactica, Six Feet Under and The Shield, but not Lost.
My favourite series finales are: 1) Star Trek: TNG; 2) The Shield; 3) BSG; 4) Star Trek: DS9; 5) The X-Files (I'm sure this is controversial).

I wouldn't say that Breaking Bad's finale is as good as those (in my opinion), but it still ended the show perfectly.
Agree with all of that list except BSG, I hated that finale. Best series finale in my opinion is Babylon 5.
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 03:46 AM   #697
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I don't think Walt is dead. He was gutshot, yes, but he didn't lose enough blood. I believe he passed out but not dead. There was no dialog or real definitive proof to be certain. If there's ever going to be a spin-off, they'll at least want an option there for a cameo. Either way, he's dead from the cancer sooner or later.

Jesse taking out Todd was awesome; Lydia's demise and that of the Neo's was predictable but enjoyable. This was definitely one of the best finales I've seen. We'll done!
Old September 30 2013, 03:57 AM   #698
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I loved BSG, but after New Caprica the show lost a lot of steam really fast, and while I liked the military part of the angle, the 'God did everything' angle really sucked.

There were some episodic shows that had better finales than Breaking Bad, but as for the really serialized premium channel style dramas, of the sort that require high viewer investment, most of them had last seasons that were far lower quality than their first seasons. Like, last season of Sopranos was good, but it was nothing compared to the first two.

Breaking Bad, the last season was the best season. They ended the show at it's peak rather than letting it sputter.

I would probably have to go with TNG as my favorite finale. But I struggle to think of other really good ones. DS9, yeah. How many shows out there truly knew when to quit? How many great shows are there that didn't drop starkly in quality before ending? Some had crappy last seasons then redemptive finales (Twin Peaks, Babylon 5, Six Feet Under, etc), but how many great shows that ended of their own accord didn't end years after they should have?

Last edited by JirinPanthosa; September 30 2013 at 04:08 AM.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 03:59 AM   #699
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I don't think Walt is dead. He was gutshot, yes, but he didn't lose enough blood. I believe he passed out but not dead. There was no dialog or real definitive proof to be certain. If there's ever going to be a spin-off, they'll at least want an option there for a cameo. Either way, he's dead from the cancer sooner or later.

Jesse taking out Todd was awesome; Lydia's demise and that of the Neo's was predictable but enjoyable. This was definitely one of the best finales I've seen. We'll done!
The spinoff is a prequel as in pre.
Old September 30 2013, 04:05 AM   #700
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Breaking Bad, the last season was the best season. They ended the show at it's peak rather than letting it sputter.
When the show started, I didn't know how they could do a long-running series. I mean, a teacher and his sidekick former student cook meth and sell it? Great premise, but what can they squeeze out of that? I figured it would have made a good one-season show at best. Then by the end of season 4, I figured that they could go on a few more seasons now that Walt was top dog. Now I'm thinking that although they could have extended the story of Walt's empire a bit, they did in fact tell the story that needed to be told and the timing for the show's end was appropriate.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 04:28 AM   #701
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post

Doesn't mean that will be the only one.
Old September 30 2013, 04:28 AM   #702
Mojochi
Commodore

Of all the things it delivered that people were expecting, Jesse killing Todd, Walt getting even with Jack/Lydia, etc... The one thing that I don't think anyone expected this episode to be was... so sad.

That's not a complaint. In fact. it's one of the most remarkable things I've ever seen done. We all knew there would be bad-assedness, but how could we have imagined bittersweet heartbreak, right alongside one final comedic moment with Badger & Skinny Pete?

They didn't just hit all the marks they needed to, they also managed to masterfully meld (As usual) all the tragedy, comedy, action & intensity that almost no one on tv has ever been able to offer

Proving once again, that it doesn't matter what happened, or that people might have predicted some of it. All that mattered is how it happened. That's great drama.
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 04:31 AM   #703
TheOneWhoKnocks
Vice Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post

Doesn't mean that will be the only one.

M-m-m-my n-name isn't Flynn....I-it's Heisenberg Jr.
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
TheOneWhoKnocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 04:31 AM   #704
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Walt won in the end, basically. He died, sure, but he was already dying (a fact that's been hanging over the final season and severely limits the degree of karma he could ever have received); and, for that matter, he took the bullet while protecting Jesse. He even found a way around the one substantive piece of karma built into the season, namely, that his family rejected and did not want his money. Admittedly, they'll get his money without knowing it, but they'll be provided for, which was what he wanted.

The springing automatic machine gun was a pretty awesome gadget.

There were many predictions of a nihilistic bloodbath, but only the 'bad' characters died. The show got its fill of innocents in the leadup, I suppose.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 04:38 AM   #705
billcosby
Commodore

So much closure!
So satisfying. Some of the scenes were as I'd imagined, others quite surprising.
Overall, Walt was a lot calmer than I expected, somehow I thought he'd be going out with a bang while freaking out, etc. and I forgot how battered his body is from cancer.

Did anyone else think of Princess Leia strangling Jabba the Hutt with a chain? One last sci-fi reference?

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote