Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 8 2013, 12:32 AM   #16
Chuck Finley
Commander

Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
We know it doesn't end well because of the way the 5th season started with Walt in a car full of guns. Then the rest of the 8 episodes dealt before that.
Because of that scene, the only thing I feel comfortable predicting is that Walt will pull the trigger on that "vanishing act" new identity service that Saul offered him in season 3. In addition to the guns, he's changed his appearance, is in a totally different part of the country, and has fake ID with a different name. Somehow, he's going to figure out that Hank has found him out and he'll get the hell out of Dodge before he can be taken in.
Do you think Walt could make the case to Hank to not take him down. Walt has a way of justifying things to himself and others, perhaps he can convince Hank that it would be better to take out some larger entity? Walt can give Hank "Heisenberg" in one form or another without actually having to see his family suffer. We may see Walt going out in a way that saves Hank and everyone else by sacrificing himself. Jesse may walk away, but I see him walking away with some sort of painful reality ahead.

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah I forgot about that. The last episode jumped forward a little bit to show life returning to normal, and Walter just being a regular guy again.

It'll be interesting to see if he has to resume cooking again for some reason, or if Hank will have to rely solely on piecing together evidence from the past. In which case you wonder how many other clues Walt missed or forgot to cover up...
This is an interesting thought.
Chuck Finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 01:13 AM   #17
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Chuck Finley wrote: View Post
Do you think Walt could make the case to Hank to not take him down. Walt has a way of justifying things to himself and others, perhaps he can convince Hank that it would be better to take out some larger entity?
One problem... Walt is that larger entity.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 02:07 AM   #18
Chuck Finley
Commander

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Do you think Walt could make the case to Hank to not take him down. Walt has a way of justifying things to himself and others, perhaps he can convince Hank that it would be better to take out some larger entity?
Yes, but doesn't he have some deal with the Germans or someone else? There's got to be somebody else out there that wants him to keep working. It's been so long, I can't remember.
Chuck Finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 02:41 AM   #19
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Given that massive stack of money I don't see Walt having to resume cooking for any reason. And they've done the 'Walt goes back because he realizes he really wants to' thing so many times in the series it would be lame if they did it again.

I don't see the series as having any moral message. I see it as more of a character study of Walt. Here we have this man who was always brilliant, who always had the capability to do amazing things with science, but he always played it safe and never took risks. Then he realizes he's going to die and suddenly unleashes himself just out of spite and anger that he spent fifty years of his life holding himself back. Walt always wanted to be a MAN, Sergio Leone movie style. He wants to be the mythology. His name is fuckin' HEISENBERG.

If the show was trying to let you know crime doesn't pay, it's miserably failed. Look at that nine or ten figure pile of cash. Look at all the money Fring was making, and would have kept making it if he'd just listened to his instincts and not done business with Walt. The show tells you that it's impossible to deal drugs without having to deal with the violence, which is true. But that's not a moral message, it's a real world response to Walt's conceits about being a criminal.

If there is a core message of the show beyond being a character study, it's that moral lines are easier to cross than we think and even easier the second time. Once you 'break bad', it's broken.

@Chuck

Walt has two major arguments for Hank not taking him down.
1) Here's a few million dollars Hank.
2) Ruin the lives of his children.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 02:53 AM   #20
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Yes, but doesn't he have some deal with the Germans or someone else? There's got to be somebody else out there that wants him to keep working. It's been so long, I can't remember.
You mean Madrigal Electromotive? It's an interesting thought, and one I wouldn't put it past Walt to try. The only problem is, the DEA and related agencies already know about Madrigal's involvement, along with Mike, Lydia, and other elements of the supply chain. I'm not sure there's anything Walt could supply that would get his own neck out of the noose.
Old August 8 2013, 04:52 AM   #21
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

AZ DEAs don't normally give a damn what drug dealers in Germany are doing?
Old August 8 2013, 02:59 PM   #22
billcosby
Commodore

I'm rewatching now but likely won't have time to complete until it starts.
I can't understand the Skylar character. Are we meant to sympathize with her or not? She's all over the place. Do people hate or love her?

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 04:22 PM   #23
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Skyler is a confused character that found herself in a horrifying situation largely due to the actions of her husband. I neither love her nor hate her, I agree with some of the things she has done and disagree with others. She is a character that is being dragged along on someone else's journey and she has difficulty knowing how to react.

She gets a lot of hate online, I think most of it undeserved. Walt is a much more horrible person when looked at objectively, but he gets a pass because he styles himself as a badass. A lot of the hate I've seen seems to come down to the fact that she ____ed Ted, which I think says a lot about how male viewers perceive female characters.
Old August 8 2013, 04:26 PM   #24
Pingfah
Admiral

Glad to see the episodes will be debuting on UK Netflix the day after they air in the US.
Old August 8 2013, 04:31 PM   #25
Seven of Five
Commodore

Really? That's excellent news.I was wondering when we'd ever see it. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all ends.
Old August 8 2013, 08:20 PM   #26
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Given that massive stack of money I don't see Walt having to resume cooking for any reason. And they've done the 'Walt goes back because he realizes he really wants to' thing so many times in the series it would be lame if they did it again.

I don't see the series as having any moral message. I see it as more of a character study of Walt. Here we have this man who was always brilliant, who always had the capability to do amazing things with science, but he always played it safe and never took risks. Then he realizes he's going to die and suddenly unleashes himself just out of spite and anger that he spent fifty years of his life holding himself back. Walt always wanted to be a MAN, Sergio Leone movie style. He wants to be the mythology. His name is fuckin' HEISENBERG.

If the show was trying to let you know crime doesn't pay, it's miserably failed. Look at that nine or ten figure pile of cash. Look at all the money Fring was making, and would have kept making it if he'd just listened to his instincts and not done business with Walt. The show tells you that it's impossible to deal drugs without having to deal with the violence, which is true. But that's not a moral message, it's a real world response to Walt's conceits about being a criminal.

If there is a core message of the show beyond being a character study, it's that moral lines are easier to cross than we think and even easier the second time. Once you 'break bad', it's broken.
I think you nailed it. And this being the case, I think it frees Vince and his staff to do more with respect to Walt's end than if they had to make some moral statement. BB was never quite as artfully presented as The Sopranos or Mad Men, but it has always had great contradictory and complex characters and has been full of surprises.

So I don't think we'll see Walt go down in a hail bullets, but suffer some kind of Twilight Zoney ending where he gets some of what he ultimately wants but have to live with an unberable cost.

The DEA may be aware of the German companies' involvment in trafficking but they don't have the "goods" on them. Perhaps that will be something Walt offers to provide.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 08:59 PM   #27
J.T.B.
Commodore

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Walt has two major arguments for Hank not taking him down.
1) Here's a few million dollars Hank.
2) Ruin the lives of his children.
Remember how low Hank got when he couldn't walk? Getting back into the investigation gave him the will to recover and go on living. I don't think any amount of money is going to sway him from the pursuit of taking Heisenberg's operation all the way down.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 05:52 PM   #28
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

No, but protecting his nephew and niece might.

I don't dislike Skylar, I think the actress does a tremendous job with her. And I certainly like her better now than I did in season two when she was basically a moron. Skylar got put in a position where the morally right and safe thing to do meant nuking her children's future. She tried to tell Walt "Get out and I won't say anything", and Walt proceeded to call her bluff and basically enslave her. And she made herself an accessory to all his crimes back when she had the comforting delusion that all he was doing was manufacturing and there was no violence involved. If she had come forward immediately she would have been okay, but at this point she is facing a life sentence too. She does all she can to protect her children from the consequences of Walt's actions even though Walt has gone to great lengths to make her the bad guy, and her 'tragic flaw' is that she's too afraid to come forward and give Walter Jr and Holly the stigma of having a famous criminal as a father.
Old August 12 2013, 02:09 AM   #29
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I missed the cold open because I didn't realize another show started late, can someone describe it?
Old August 12 2013, 03:09 AM   #30
Agent Richard07
Admiral

- A lot of the season premieres have been slow and this was no exception.

- Scotty beaming Chekov's guts into space by accident? Funny.

- Jesse's conscience got a little grating, but I wasn't rooting for Walt either. Both of them are trying to keep it together. Jesse with his sanity and Walt with his life. And you can tell that Jesse didn't believe him about Mike being alive.

- I loved the confrontation between Hank and Walt. It's what I've been waiting for all these years. Took a second or two to realize that what Walt said in the end was a warning.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote