Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 30 2013, 12:44 AM   #256
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Hank will not get Walt... Jesse will. I'll shit myself if I'm wrong about that
Pics or it did not happen.
Old August 30 2013, 02:28 AM   #257
Mojochi
Commodore

lol, well maybe I won't, but I'll feel like I did

3chordboy wrote: View Post
Mojochi wrote: View Post
Hank will not get Walt... Jesse will. I'll shit myself if I'm wrong about that
in my mind i have this image of Walt killing both Hank and Jesse so he "wins" but he has lost everything; home, family, life, so is a completely hollow victory. seems like the kind of dark route the writers would take with this show...let the villain win.
There is that possibility, but I can't think of anything more horrible than Jesse spending all this time breaking good only to end up losing out or dead
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 10:40 PM   #258
billcosby
Commodore

It would be very ironic if Jesse is the last man standing, since he was to be killed off so early in the series.

Here's the thing about Hank that's very clear - he's ready to explode. Since he knows his future is fucked, he will likely figure out how to cause the most damage to Walt and perhaps the least to the rest of his family. But he's liable to do anything. My guess is he'll let his partner in on what happened and do a kamakaze of sorts all over Walt, or at least try to. I hope they don't kill Hank off too soon! The level of anger that he feels towards Hank... the complexity of the deception, it's unlike anything I've ever been exposed to in fiction. It's great.

BTW, I'm guessing that Jesse don't light the house on fire because Flynn is home. I would love to see an interaction between them. I'm guessing they've never met. One of my favorite scene of the whole series is Walt inviting Jesse to dinner and trying to make small talk with Skyler. Comedy gold amid a very intense and dark series.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 10:52 PM   #259
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

The house can't burn down or even slightly up because we've already seen the state of it in the flash forwards. It's derelict, cleaned out and vandalized buti didn't see any prominent burn marks.

I just caught up today with the show and i'm simply speechless.. it's been said already here in this thread but the way the show makes you repeatedly root for Walt to come through in all his endeavours is just brilliant.

Up until Jane's death it was also easy to do so.. he only killed off scum (especially those two drug dealers who killed the little kid they trained to be their dealer) but even after it you still had moments of "Go Walt! Show them evil guys!" but deep down you knew it was wrong.

I honestly can't imagine how this can end.. it will be very violent (how can it not be with an ex-chemistry teacher lugging around an M60 machine gun in his trunk) but given the vibe of the show i'm pretty sure i'll be speechless again.

About Hank.. i think he's close to losing it. He knows his job is done any way he slices it. When it comes out that Walter White is Heisenberg (and it will for sure as evidenced by the flash forward) his career will be over much like his former boss who had even less connections to Gustavo Frings. However it might be that Hank simply snaps.. he's a very emotional guy prone to wild mood swings and that's not good if you're vindictive, armed and out for revenge. I don't see this ending well for Hank at all.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 01:47 PM   #260
stj
Rear Admiral

They ended the episode with a threat we already know will not be carried out. There's a technical term for this: Anti-climax.

By the way, on the issue of contrivances, the chances that no one found out about the money being given away are zero. Jesse should have had any number of people offering him matches in hopes he tips really, really well.

Another by the way, Lydia is a Walter White too. Why is she treated differently?

Another by the way, Walter is not even tempted to stray sexually, not even after Skylar cheats. Jesse has been a monogamous, caring partner with only two women. The writers have been very careful not to taint the antihero and the antivillain with any distasteful sexual sins, as opposed to cool violence.
Old August 31 2013, 03:49 PM   #261
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
They ended the episode with a threat we already know will not be carried out. There's a technical term for this: Anti-climax.

By the way, on the issue of contrivances, the chances that no one found out about the money being given away are zero. Jesse should have had any number of people offering him matches in hopes he tips really, really well.

Another by the way, Lydia is a Walter White too. Why is she treated differently?

Another by the way, Walter is not even tempted to stray sexually, not even after Skylar cheats. Jesse has been a monogamous, caring partner with only two women. The writers have been very careful not to taint the antihero and the antivillain with any distasteful sexual sins, as opposed to cool violence.
Well.. if the cops would analyze the money bundles they would find Jesse's fingerprints on them.. game over. He can't explain where the money came from and even if the cops wouldn't be able to charge him for something (i guess it isn't illegal to throw money around) the IRS would sure love to talk to Jesse about the money given that he had no registered job for the last few years, if ever.

I don't see Lydia being treated any differently, she's just a way more cowardly Walter White version and after the shootout in the desert has at least as much to answer for as Walter (doesn't matter that "only" some drug dealers were killed).
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 03:53 PM   #262
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Lydia and Walt are equally amoral but they're totally different characters. Lydia is extremely risk averse and hands off, preferring to hide in the shadows where everybody else does the dirty work. Walt is emotional and cares more about pride than money.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 10:37 PM   #263
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

stj wrote: View Post
That's not what an anticlimax is. An anticlimax would involve the first scene of the next episode to have Jesse stop going apeshit nuts, call Walt, apologize, and become his best buddy again. Or some other disappointing result along those lines.

If, instead, someone shows up and stops him but raises the stakes even higher (he's not going to commit murder again unless its Walt, but just imagine the results if he meets Junior and tells him all about his dad), or he stops himself and decides to go with another strategy to get back at Walt that even more nuts, or any other number of possibilities, then it won't be anticlimactic at all.

You mean besides having tits, being passive, being hands-off and relying on others to do all the heavy lifting, and all around being absolutely nothing like Walt? I dunno. What a strange reason any of those are for her being treated differently.

Walter has been tempted but resisted. And what's wrong with people not being portrayed as horndogs? Not everyone is like that, and Walt's entire self-rationalization for everything he's done is to keep his family together.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:06 AM   #264
Agent Richard07
Admiral

When Hank was reaching for Jesse's seatbelt, I thought he was going to hug him the way he did with Skyler. I'm sure the viewer was supposed to think that.

I was also wondering if Jesse told Hank about Gale and it looks like he did.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:15 AM   #265
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Not as exciting as last week's episode (and the ending wasn't as cliffhanger-y) but still very solid. I kinda wonder how much they are going to stretch things out until the final episode. I guess this is all build-up, which the show admittedly does rather well.

On a side note, Skyler's transformation as a character has been very interesting to watch. She went from being loving and supportive of Walt, to angry after finding out the truth, to aloof/indifferent, and now it almost seems as if she's completely on-board with Walt and this whole thing. In the last episode, it seemed like she was an empty shell, merely going along with things because she's just emotionally drained from everything, but in this episode she was essentially encouraging Walt to kill Jesse. Quite the difference in attitude and demeanor from when she first found out. At this point, I feel like she's almost as guilty as Walt. That's probably an over-exaggeration, but she's definitely not innocent in all of this. She had an opportunity to bail, and that opportunity seems long gone.
Old September 2 2013, 03:21 AM   #266
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Hank knew some pretty specific details about the events of the series. It was pretty clear Jesse told him everything.

Brilliant episode, the way they showed Walt's perspective before they showed Hank's perspective. And Hank's attitude 'Oh who cares if he dies' was the most obsessed we've ever seen him.
Old September 2 2013, 03:25 AM   #267
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I noticed that Laura Fraser was credited for the episode, but she didn't appear.

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Not as exciting as last week's episode (and the ending wasn't as cliffhanger-y) but still very solid. I kinda wonder how much they are going to stretch things out until the final episode. I guess this is all build-up, which the show admittedly does rather well.
I was thinking the same thing. We have four episodes to take us from where we are now to Walt on the run with an M60 in the trunk, no family in sight and a derelict house.

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
On a side note, Skyler's transformation as a character has been very interesting to watch. She went from being loving and supportive of Walt, to angry after finding out the truth, to aloof/indifferent, and now it almost seems as if she's completely on-board with Walt and this whole thing. In the last episode, it seemed like she was an empty shell, merely going along with things because she's just emotionally drained from everything, but in this episode she was essentially encouraging Walt to kill Jesse. Quite the difference in attitude and demeanor from when she first found out. At this point, I feel like she's almost as guilty as Walt. That's probably an over-exaggeration, but she's definitely not innocent in all of this. She had an opportunity to bail, and that opportunity seems long gone.
She didn't strike me as fully onboard with Walt. She does seem angry and resigned to the fact that this is her life now and this is the man she has to live with.
Old September 2 2013, 04:00 AM   #268
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I was thinking the same thing. We have four episodes to take us from where we are now to Walt on the run with an M60 in the trunk, no family in sight and a derelict house.
It just didn't seem like a lot happened in this episode, even though we had Jesse teaming up with Hank (though I doubt Jesse is going to work directly with Hank... if that makes sense). The preview for next week's episode didn't reveal much, and I get that it is a preview. I am just curious as to what happens which leads us into the events we saw in the season premiere.

She didn't strike me as fully onboard with Walt. She does seem angry and resigned to the fact that this is her life now and this is the man she has to live with.
That's what I meant to say. She's not fully on-board, but she's dealing with it as best as she can. I think the most telling part was the line "We've come this far... what's one more?" or something along those lines. Skyler has reached a pretty dark place, as has pretty much every other character in this show (besides maybe Walt Jr).
Old September 2 2013, 04:22 AM   #269
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The only thing Skyler is on board with is not getting caught until Walter dies.
Old September 2 2013, 04:23 AM   #270
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Talking Bad just revealed an interesting tidbit... Skyler's wardrobe has been shifting to cream tones to symbolize the life being drained from her.