Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 11 2013, 04:47 PM   #91
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

Re: Alternate history tv shows

Mistral wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Man, there's nothing like the 20th season of Cop Rock.
I disagree. The music is so formulaic its like they recycle the same songs each week-and Brittany Spears is a weak replacement for Hugh Jackman, IMO. I just can't buy her as a detective. No gravitas.
But did you see the patter song episode? That was the most energetic single hour of television I've ever seen!
Old August 12 2013, 10:01 AM   #92
Mistral
Vice Admiral

I noticed no one has said a word about Barney Miller. I always thought that Hal Holbrook did such a good job as Barney that no one, literally, could replace him. I mean, I can't even imagine anyone else as Barney. And Morgan Freeman playing Detective Ron Harris alongside Matt Frewer as Arthur Dietrich simply sealed the deal. Classic. I watch the re-runs even today.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 02:52 PM   #93
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

The 1994 HBO mini The Fatherland, is a great alternative history show. The story revolves around what if the Normany invasion failed and Germany only faced the Russians through the remainder of the war.

The plot is fast forwarded to the mid-1960's when an American reporter visiting the country attempts to uncover the holocaust which was covered up by the Nazi's.

Opening sequence on You Tube - Fatherland - first 5 minutes

Last edited by DarthTom; August 13 2013 at 04:50 PM.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 08:41 PM   #94
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Anyone remember "Gilligan's Island"? It tanked after only half a season and isn't very well remembered, but it's recently been released on DVD.

I think it had great promise as a sitcom, but the casting was horrendous. I mean, Bill Mumy as "Willy Gilligan"? Guy Williams as a millionaire, June Lockhart as his wife, and Marta Kristen as a movie starlet? All three are far too down-home to be comfortable in those roles. I'm not even sure what the rest were supposed to be. And let's not even talk about that clanking metal autopilot.

Although I must admit Jonathan Harris works pretty well as the professor-type.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 10:48 PM   #95
sojourner
Admiral

^Surely you're not talking about Gilligan's Eye-land, that Sid and Marty Kroft show from Saturday mornings? That show was a trip, I always wondered what they were on when they wrote the episode where Gilligan met that Doctor that traveled in a blue box.
Old August 15 2013, 11:08 PM   #96
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

My all-time favorite was Alan Hale as Cannon. Classic 70s detective show! Although, I will admit the quality did drop quite a bit after Joe Penny joined the cast and they renamed the show Cannon and the Thin Man.
Old August 16 2013, 07:06 AM   #97
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
^Surely you're not talking about Gilligan's Eye-land, that Sid and Marty Kroft show from Saturday mornings? That show was a trip, I always wondered what they were on when they wrote the episode where Gilligan met that Doctor that traveled in a blue box.
Krofft shows are "alternate reality" no matter which reality you started in.
Old August 16 2013, 06:49 PM   #98
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Who could forget the classic Hawaiian P.I., set against the lush, exotic backdrop of Hawaii and starring Tom Selleck, Jack Lord and Robert Conrad as a trio of private detectives with Connie Stevens as their ditzy secretary? The show did a great job of portraying the Hawaiian atmosphere and culture, especially considering it was mostly filmed on Warner Brothers' Burbank backlot.
Old August 16 2013, 07:15 PM   #99
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

You know what I was just thinking? You know who would have been perfect for the role of Cannon? William Conrad! I think he would have been even better than Alan Hale. (Hale played up the humor in the show a little too much for my taste. Conrad was "tougher.")

Never could have happened, though, what with Conrad tied up playing Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke for twenty years.
Old August 16 2013, 07:31 PM   #100
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I thought John Wayne played Dillon on Gunsmoke. I thought he could have had a better career on the big screen instead of switching to TV. Imagine if he was in True Grit instead of Henry Fonda.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 07:48 PM   #101
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

^ A common mistake. Wayne played Dillon on the earlier Gunsmoke radio show. Or...you might be thinking of Wayne's recurring role as Sheriff Micah Torrance on the James Arness western The Rifleman.
Old August 17 2013, 05:12 AM   #102
sojourner
Admiral

I still think Robert Conrad was a better captain as Pike on the original Star Trek pilot. At least they carried over Ross Martin as McCoy into the regular series.
Old August 17 2013, 05:24 AM   #103
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

They were fine, but casting Michael Dunn as that science officer with the pointed ears was a little too jarring.

Anyway, when Ross Martin suffered all those heart attacks it really put the kibosh on Star Trek. They were talking about a Phase II series in the 1970s and some reunion movies, but they couldn't do it without him. Too bad; they could have made a whole franchise out of it.
Old August 17 2013, 03:39 PM   #104
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
I still think Robert Conrad was a better captain as Pike on the original Star Trek pilot. At least they carried over Ross Martin as McCoy into the regular series.
Better than Adam West as Kirk in the series?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 05:02 PM   #105
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

LHO (1993)

Using a brilliant recreation of Walter Cronkite's (an Oscar-winning performance by Bill Murray) infamous death-row interviews for CBS as a framing device, director Oliver Stone examines the events surrounding Lee Harvey Oswald's failed assassination attempt on President John F. Kennedy, and Oswald's subsequent trial and conviction for the murder of Jacqueline Kennedy. Flash-backs take us back to Oswald's life in the days immediately before the events in Dallas, as well as the lengthy trial. Stone dwells a bit too much, perhaps, on Oswald's sometimes frantic assertions during the trial (and indeed until the moment of his execution) that he never intended to shoot the President, and that the First Lady had been his target of choice all along. While this creates an air of drama for the purposes of this film, this reviewer finds it unnecessary to refute the conclusions of the Hoover Report yet again thirty years after the fact. Indeed, Stone at times seems to show more sympathy toward Oswald's wounded pride than to the widowed John F. Kennedy. While this film might run a little long for some, it is worth seeing for Stone's use of different film stocks and photographic effects to distinguish between events in the represent tense, flashbacks, and events as seen through Oswald's "mind's eye".