Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: which rumored director do you want to direct?
Rupert wyatt 3 8.57%
Joe Cornish 0 0%
Jon M. Chu 4 11.43%
Abrams 28 80.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 21 2013, 11:28 PM   #1
tmosler
Lieutenant Commander

which of the rumored directors do you want to direct

ok so here is the list of directors who so far have been rumored to direct. I personally would want wyatt after the amazing job he did on rise of planet of the apes but please vote on which one you would want to see direct
tmosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 12:13 AM   #2
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

Re: which of the rumored directors do you want to direct

Boom! Abrams it is!

Last edited by saddestmoon; August 22 2013 at 10:17 PM.
saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 02:10 AM   #3
serenitytrek1
Commander

JJ

He should write the script as well.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 09:12 AM   #4
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
No.
Old August 22 2013, 09:19 AM   #5
serenitytrek1
Commander

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
No.

Yes,

he wrote the pilot and some of the episodes of Lost, Alias and Fringe.

At least Sydney Bristow's underwear scenes never looked kind of awkward or forced in Alias. I cant say the same for Carol.

JJ also wrote Cloverfield. JJ is a very good writer.

I just cant believe how hateful some people are to this man...it make me sad.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Chicago 103
Captain

I enjoy J.J. Abrams as a storyteller. "Lost" is my favorite television show. "Mission Impossible 3" is my favorite movie in that series. "Super 8" and "Cloverfield" were a lot of fun, both in my top ten list of movies during the years of their release.

I just think general audiences are getting sick of the "Mystery Box." Unless the reveal is something mind-blowing, the reaction is indifference or hatred. What is the island? What is the rabbit's foot? What was the military hiding? What is the creature? Who is the villain? Either we haven't been given a direct answer, or the answer is nothing worthy of the mystery.

The good thing about Abrams is that his stories are not about the mystery. They are good character stories. The mystery is just the source of conflict that brings about change in the character. In my opinion the exact details don't matter as much as the choices and changes the characters make. But some people do care a great deal about an original, imaginative, and detailed reveal for a mystery. It's become fashionable to use "Lost" as the example of disappointing serialized television. The reaction to "Star Trek Into Darkness" (my third favorite Trek movie, favorite movie of this year so far) has me dumbfounded, culminating in the panel at Star Trek Vegas which I was present for.

Personally, I would like Abrams to direct, but it might be best for the franchise if someone else took over to get past the issues people have with the way Abrams tells a story. Before "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" was released, I thought it looked like a stupid waste of time. It turned out to be one of the best movies of the year. That's why I picked Rupert Wyatt.
Old August 22 2013, 03:01 PM   #7
Lucky
Commander

Ideally I'd want Abrams back. I did like Wyatt's work on Rise of the Planet of the Apes though. He'd be a good replacement for Abrams.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 04:22 PM   #8
tmosler
Lieutenant Commander

I am shocked at the way this poll is going although I loved the 2009 movie and its sequel you would think after being voted worst trek movie and with all the abrams haters saying how bad into darkness is the poll would be different.
tmosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 07:03 PM   #9
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

You keep injecting this sort of unexplained swipe into discussions. Who's being hateful, and what has it to do with anything said in this thread?
Old August 22 2013, 08:36 PM   #10
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

All of these are solid choices, except maybe Chu, since GI Joe 2 sucked. That could be due to the script though, and not his directorial skills. How awesome would it be if Brad Bird directed it
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 08:37 PM   #11
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

he wrote the pilot and some of the episodes of Lost, Alias and Fringe.
Of those three, the only one he wrote completely on his own was Alias, and that was 12 years ago. The others he shared credits with Orci, Kurtzman, Lindelof, and co. just like he did with the Star Trek movies.

He figured out long ago that his strengths lie in directing and started delegating.

The only film he's written on his own in the last 15 years is Super 8, and that was a personal, pet-project of his.

At least Sydney Bristow's underwear scenes never looked kind of awkward or forced in Alias. I cant say the same for Carol.
What does that have to do with anything?

I might point out though, that the appearance of both is ultimately up to the director. So I don't even know what the point you're trying to make is.

JJ also wrote Cloverfield.
I thought Drew Goddard wrote Cloverfield?

What at all is hateful about the word "no"? I don't hate the guy and think he's an excellent director. Please don't make assumptions. I just think the writing is best left to others. If anything, it's merely practical. The guy is going to be really busy the next five years as it is. He doesn't have time to write a full film script. And even if he did, it's bound to suffer in quality due to lack of focus.
Old August 22 2013, 09:06 PM   #12
Gojira
Commodore

Chicago 103 wrote: View Post
I enjoy J.J. Abrams as a storyteller. "Lost" is my favorite television show. "Mission Impossible 3" is my favorite movie in that series. "Super 8" and "Cloverfield" were a lot of fun, both in my top ten list of movies during the years of their release.
Matt Reeves directed Cloverfield. JJ was a producer but I don't know how much he actually contributed to the movie.
Old August 22 2013, 09:31 PM   #13
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Abrams.

Two-thirds of the race is over, he might as well carry us across the finish line.
Old August 22 2013, 09:32 PM   #14
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Either JJ Abrams (as highly unlikely as it is) or Wyatt (I loved RotPotA... it makes an awesome acronym, too!)
tmosler wrote: View Post
I am shocked at the way this poll is going although I loved the 2009 movie and its sequel you would think after being voted worst trek movie and with all the abrams haters saying how bad into darkness is the poll would be different.
That was a poll of one hundred fans from 15,000+ convention goers. Shampoo commericals have bigger sample groups.
Old August 22 2013, 10:13 PM   #15
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Abrams.

Two-thirds of the race is over, he might as well carry us across the finish line.
Not only that, he created such a distinct visual style with the first two films that with anyone else it might seem like a different world.

And I don't just mean lens flares (Though say what you will, they have sort of become their own character.), the color palette, the camera angles, the distinct aliens, and other little touches he's used have really made nuTrek its own universe.

That's not to say others aren't capable, but unless another director tries to emulate Abrams's style (in which case it's not his own film) there will be a difference, and that could be distracting for some.

The only other modern examples with such distinct visual styles I can think of are LotR and TDK; imagine what the respective third films been like had Jackson/Nolan left after the second.

I think it's in Paramount's best interest to accommodate Abrams as fiscally and patiently as is necessary.