Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 7 2013, 03:14 AM   #16
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Re: The Seekers: HBO-esque or Planet 'o Week

I wonder if these will be collections of stories, as the Blish books were, or will each be its own novel-length story.
Old August 7 2013, 07:59 AM   #17
RoB
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think they will be novel-length story. If I remember correctly, the announcement on Dayton Ward's homepage says they will rotate the perspective from book to book. So, in one book you have the Sagittarius and in the next the Endeavour. And from time to time, there may be crossovers. At least, that's the way I understand it.
RoB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 01:00 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

^Yup. IIRC, Dave will focus on the Sagittarius and Dayton & Kevin on the Endeavour.

I've realized that between this and Rise of the Federation (presuming that continues past book 2), there will be two simultaneous series which each feature two hero ships, one of which is named Endeavour -- one in the 22nd century, one in the 23rd. Now we just need a series featuring a 24th-century Endeavour (presumably NCC-71805) along with another ship, and we'll have a full set!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 08:42 PM   #19
indianatrekker26
Captain

i'm looking forward to this series. It got my butt in gear to finally read the rest of the vanguard series. I had read books 1-3, but then I got behind. so i'm starting back with Harbinger, and plan to burn through the whole series. I would think this would make a lot of fellow readers happy. One of the major complaints ive read across the lit boards in recent years, is that most of the trek (TNG era) has been too politically heavy.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 10:45 PM   #20
Paper Moon
Commander

Regarding the OP's question: I really don't see how it has to be exclusively one or the other. There is an inherent drama to exploring strange new worlds that Star Trek has barely ever tapped. Think about "First Contact" (the episode), "Who Watches The Watchers?," "Move Along Home," "Allegience," "Justice"... While the quality of these stories varies from a real-world perspective, and while the Prime Directive violations mean that they are less palatable exploration experiences in-universe, they offer a taste of the potential for exploration stories to be highly dramatic and meaningful.

Nathan, you assume that visiting one planet in one novel and then visiting another in the next demands a reset button. Narratively, there's no reason for that to be the case; it was only so because of the nature of television at the time. The novels are under no such constraint.

For example, there was no reset button at the end of "Skin of Evil," "Yesterday's Enterprise" notwithstanding. ("Skin of Evil" works as a story, regardless of Crosby's subsequent desire to return to the show.) There was no reset button after Wildfire. You can still tell compelling long-term narratives within the episodic framework.

So yeah. I really don't see why it has to be either-or.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 10:55 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

Look at Titan. That's about as episodic a novel series as there is in the 24th-century novelverse, yet there are evolving character arcs and several novels in the series have ended with characters leaving, starting new relationships, or going through other major changes.

Old August 7 2013, 11:05 PM   #22
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

And Titan hits at the core of what Star Trek is all about: seeking out strange new worlds, etc. This Seekers sounds like it will be in a similar vein.

I can't wait!

Last edited by DorkBoy [TM]; August 7 2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: because i am dumb
DorkBoy [TM] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 01:35 AM   #23
Paper Moon
Commander

DorkBoy [TM] wrote: View Post
And Titan hits at the core of what Star Trek is all about: seeking out strange new worlds, etc. This Seekers sounds like it will be in a similar vein.

I can't wait!
Christopher wrote: View Post
Look at Titan. That's about as episodic a novel series as there is in the 24th-century novelverse, yet there are evolving character arcs and several novels in the series have ended with characters leaving, starting new relationships, or going through other major changes.
I agree with both of you, although I frankly hope that Seekers is a bit more even in its quality than Titan. And for my tastes, Titan's "episodes" tended to be a bit longer than was able to hold my interest.* If Seekers found a way to have more adventures in each story, that would be okay with me. (Hopefully that made some sense...)

*Well, that's not quite true. They held my interest, but they sometimes left me frustrated because they didn't "feel" like television episodes; every Titan novel could easy have filled up six or even a dozen live action episodes.
Old August 8 2013, 02:19 AM   #24
Christopher
Writer

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
I agree with both of you, although I frankly hope that Seekers is a bit more even in its quality than Titan.
Titan has had seven different writers to date. Seekers will alternate between Mack and Ward/Dilmore.

Old August 9 2013, 01:13 AM   #25
Paper Moon
Commander

I agree with both of you, although I frankly hope that Seekers is a bit more even in its quality than Titan.
Titan has had seven different writers to date. Seekers will alternate between Mack and Ward/Dilmore.
Good point. And, honestly, it was only the most recent two that "dragged down the average," so to speak, of the series significantly.
Old August 9 2013, 01:15 AM   #26
JD
Admiral

I can't wait!
I agree with both of you, although I frankly hope that Seekers is a bit more even in its quality than Titan. And for my tastes, Titan's "episodes" tended to be a bit longer than was able to hold my interest.* If Seekers found a way to have more adventures in each story, that would be okay with me. (Hopefully that made some sense...)

*Well, that's not quite true. They held my interest, but they sometimes left me frustrated because they didn't "feel" like television episodes; every Titan novel could easy have filled up six or even a dozen live action episodes.
But isn't it kind of the whole point of doing the novels things they can't do on TV, like telling bigger, more complex stories?
Old August 9 2013, 02:30 AM   #27
Paper Moon
Commander

JD wrote: View Post

I can't wait!

But isn't it kind of the whole point of doing the novels things they can't do on TV, like telling bigger, more complex stories?
I'm not sure I would describe the point of novels as being exclusively to do things they can't on TV, though I understand where you're coming from. I think there was more reason to do that when Trek was on TV, but since it's not right now, and won't be for the foreseeable future, I think it would be okay for the novels to occasionally be more like TV Trek.

And there are still ways to have the novels do what couldn't be done on TV without necessarily telling bigger, more complex stories. Do more detailed worldbuilding for away missions. Have nonhumanoid aliens. Depict alien cultures that would never be aired on American television.

"Let us redefine progress to mean that simply because we can do a thing, it does not necessarily mean that we must do that thing."
Old August 9 2013, 07:27 AM   #28
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

I for one am looking forward to this. Always love new adventures with new/different crews.
Old August 14 2013, 04:41 AM   #29
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

Seekers sounds like an awesome idea. Especially as when doing the "new planets" thing it allows many more perspectives than a typical episode.

The detail fetishist in me really really wants to see this series bible, though.
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 03:38 PM   #30
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

But, of course, the real question is: Do they find Natalie Wood or not?

And where does Jeff Hunter fit in?