Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 27 2013, 08:03 PM   #1
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane

My brother and I both loved the hell out of this movie as kids (even though we were both too young to watch it, especially him) but it just had a cheese to it we liked. Saw it was on Netflix Streaming the other day so I gave it a watch.

Oi.

This movie is so corny and so 90s. How was Andrew Dice Clay ever "popular?" The only thing cool in this movie is the classic second-genearation Ford Fairlane with the retractable hardtop convertible. But so much corn in this movie.
I loved it.
Old July 27 2013, 08:12 PM   #2
marksound
Fleet Captain

Re: The Adventures of Ford Fairlane

I haven't seen it since it first showed up on cable, whenever that was. It could have been funny. It tried to be funny. It just wasn't funny. And I'm not that hard to amuse. The best part of that movie was the car. You don't see many of those Skyliners running around.

For my money, Brainsmasher was better. But not much.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 08:26 PM   #3
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I'm probably more amused by it out of nostalgia than the movie itself. It's just so much 90s corn and cheese and Andrew Dice Clay being all his Clay-iness. Heh. I remember as a kid being blown away by the idea of the CD being a computer disc!

But I've never been able to look at the Capital Records building in pictures or other movies without thinking of Ford Fairlane.
Old July 27 2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Yuckleberry Finn
Vice Admiral

Never heard of it. Not even the images that came up in the google search were familiar
Yuckleberry Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 10:19 PM   #5
marksound
Fleet Captain

Ford "Mr. Rock n' Roll Detective" Fairlane is experiencing problems, and it's not with the opposite sex. One of them is that all the rock stars pay him with drum sticks, koala bears, food processors and bicycle shorts. Another one of them is that all his employers that want him to find a girl named Zuzu Petals (who) get(s) killed. Why didn't he become a fisherman's detective instead? A must-see for Andrew Dice Clay fans.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098987/

Really bad movie, for really bad movie fans.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 10:27 PM   #6
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I loved this film. I love the narration. When he describers having a conversation with Zsu Zsu Pedals is like massturbating with a cheese grater.

LOL

The best part of the film was the soundtrack. It had Idol's Cradle of Love, notable for the Fincher-directed video featuring a teenage girl much-too-attractive-for-her-age teenager girl, a pretty cool Yellow song, a pretty cool Motley Crue song, and a pretty cool, Queensryche song.

It was the Queensryche song that had my attention at the time. They released the ultra-serious Operaiton: Mindcrime to that point, and when someone oat soccer camp had the Ford Fairlane soundtrack, I was surprised that there was new Queensryche on it at all. The song was fun and light-hearded, miles away from Mindcrime, but I still loved it. Turns out they wrote the song for as-yet-unreleaed Empire.

Nonetheless, Queensryche was definitely an unusual choice for such an album. Head that album. Turns out that the concert where they film Vince Neil's death scene in the film was actually a Queensryche concert, and that's how they got involved.
Old July 28 2013, 03:08 AM   #7
sojourner
Admiral

Quantas, Juju bee, Sausalito, Ford Fairlane!
Old July 29 2013, 12:23 AM   #8
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I loved this film. I love the narration. When he describers having a conversation with Zsu Zsu Pedals is like massturbating with a cheese grater.

LOL
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 05:02 PM   #9
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I watched it again with my brother last night -as he loved the movie when he was a kid. My mom was in the room too and we got to the scene where Ford tells a joke in his story-telling and we had to pause it, rewind it and listen to it a couple of times because none of us "got" the joke. Called my dad into the room to listen to it and he didn't get it either. I had to sort of say it out loud a bit slowly myself and then it finally clicked and got it. So it took two people in their 60s and two people int heir 30s a few minutes to "get" this joke. I do have to give ADC "some" credit that the joke is clever if it takes a while to "get" like this because once you get it it's pretty damn clever.

Here's the joke if you don't remember it or haven't seen the movie so you don't know it. If you don't get it I recommend saying the "punchline" aloud a bit slowly enough and it should click.

What's the definition of "vagina?"
The box peanuts come in.
Old August 8 2013, 03:01 PM   #10
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I remember loving this movie but I don't think I've seen it since it came out. I actually have the 4-issue limited series too!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 04:42 PM   #11
The Keeper
Commodore

"My hair!"
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Occupy TNZ
I Can't Afford A Lobbyist

It's pretty much the best movie of all time.

"Clint Eastwood? I fucked him. OOOOOOH!"