MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 5 2013, 02:14 PM   #16
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Re: Now that we know the new Doctor...what´s going to change?

I'd like the sonic cane to return.

The thing is, Capaldi is a fan of the show, so he might stay on longer than two series. He'll probably stay for three years, so as long as there's none of this split series nonsense, we can expect a full three series from him. But yeah, I doubt he'll stick around as long as Smith or tenant did. In the end, Tennant stuck around for about 4-5 years, if Capaldi did that, he'd be knocking on 60. Age would be another problem for Capaldi had, Tennant and Smith were youthful, so they probably had more energy to commit to the show, and if 30 year old Matt Smith said he was knackered from the show, god knows how Capaldi will feel. I just hope he doesn't go for the same reason Hartnel did.

I also get the feeling Clara will leave at the end of series 8, or at least early to mid series 9. And I doubt she'll be a very good match for Capaldi's doctor.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 02:33 PM   #17
FreddyE
Commander

Maybe they will add an additional companion that´s better suited for Capaldi and phase Clara out by mid season 8?
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 02:35 PM   #18
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I think River Song will be much more suited for Capaldi's twelfth doctor than Smith's eleventh doctor.

Especially seeing Capaldi's around the same age as River.
Old August 5 2013, 02:41 PM   #19
Tom
Rear Admiral

The future Doctor that River describes in SiTL/FotD would seemingly fit this older doctor better than Smith's doctor.

One other thing that I hope changes is the females companions falling in love with the Doctor. Now maybe he will be more of a paternal type like the first 3 Doctors.

They may have also picked an older doctor to better convey the fact that doctor is getting close to the end of his life, if they adhere to the 13 incarnation lifecycle. I would like to think that is the Doctor is starting to run out of regeneration energy that he can not regenerate as youthful as he has the past 2 doctors.
Old August 5 2013, 02:43 PM   #20
FreddyE
Commander

Unless she gets a new character arc, I don´t see Clara staying for that much longer for some reason. She actually might switch roles with River, River becoming a constant companion and Clara an "off and on"-companion that appears when circumstances are very difficult because of her "impossible girl" nature.
Old August 5 2013, 02:46 PM   #21
FreddyE
Commander

Tom wrote: View Post
I would like to think that is the doctor is starting to run out of regeneration energy that he can not regenerate as youthful as he has the past 2 doctors.
Which would really make sense, in light of Rivers "hoopla"..about not wasting regeneration energy etc.
Old August 5 2013, 03:02 PM   #22
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

I think we will see something new in the Sonic Screwdriver. It would seem that they have had a tendency to change with the Doctors. It is kind of a part of their character it would seem. I did not like Matt's Sonic at first but it quickly grew on me. I could not see him use any other or anyone else use it.
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 03:51 PM   #23
Redfern
Commodore

Since Capaldi won an Oscar for directing the short subject "Frank Kafka's It's a Wonderful Life", I wonder if he will want to direct a few episodes?

If he does and the request is granted, this will be the first time in the show's history that the lead has directed.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 04:25 PM   #24
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

One thing I think will change, outside of the show, will be the marketing... At least here in the US, Smith appeals to a really younger audience of teenagers.. You can get all manner of merch at places like Hot Topic... And it's all very Smith-heavy.. Fez and bowtie related stuff.. Very whimsical things... With the advent of a younger, probably more serious-toned Doctor, I think some of that hipster/goth fanbase will fall away... My young son will still probably be into it, but my 16 year old daughter and her friends will find it less "so uncool it's cool"...

I know that won't bother many of the old school Doctor Who fans (more my age and above), but I think it could hurt the show in the long run, again, here in the States...
Old August 5 2013, 05:33 PM   #25
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander

That is something I'm thankful for, that they didn't opt for another "Matt Smith" Doctor because of his popularity with the younger demographic. In picking an older, different, Doctor, it says to me that they have maintained a certain integrity in picking the right Doctor, and not particularity picking a popular "type" to play him.

I also think the new Doctor will be the right match for River, this might be the Doctor that River has true chemistry with. River and Matt's Doctor never seemed to mesh, I never believed the Matt's Doctor ever really cared as much for River as she did for him. Matt's Doctor, Amy, and Rory all seemed to be contemporaries, while River always felt like the "old man out". They couldn't related to her, even given her obvious connection to all of them, in my mind, she never fit in with them. This new Doctor may give us the true romance between them that makes her final appearance make more sense. He could be the more mature Doctor that helps River "grow up" a bit, they will grow together, and she'll become the more grounded Professor we saw in the Library.

Last edited by FlapJoy; August 5 2013 at 06:04 PM.
FlapJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 05:46 PM   #26
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

^^ I agree with you on the point about River... Wholeheartedly... However, I really enjoyed the fact that Doctor Who was reaching a new audience... The younger subset of fans... And maybe it's just because it gives me one more thing my teenagers and I have in common... But I also got a kick out of seeing kids out and about wearing Who shirts or hats...

I had my 25th highschool reunion this weekend and spent some time with my old best friend Ryan.. He and I were the Who-geeks in our class, and faced a certain amount of ridicule for it... This weekend we talked about taking a certain amount of pride in the fact that many of our old classmates were now fans of the show thanks to Doctors 9,10 and 11... Vindication, if you will...

The thing is, if there isn't a certain amount of retention among the tween-teen fans, there will be no fanbase to carry this into the distant future, I'm afraid...
Old August 5 2013, 05:46 PM   #27
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
I think River Song will be much more suited for Capaldi's twelfth doctor than Smith's eleventh doctor.

Especially seeing Capaldi's around the same age as River.
I'm not exactly sure how this might come about but given that we will have an older Doctor is it possible that we could have River traveling with her husband for at least one series?
Old August 5 2013, 06:49 PM   #28
Saul
Rear Admiral

I wouldn't mind seeing a male companion for a change. Give me some Holmes/Watson Kirk/Spock stuff! . Any female companion they bring in would probably be young but since there would be a clear age difference I don't see a Romance happening or the companion wanting to bang the doctor like Amy Pond. A less quirky, more serious Doctor would be a breath of fresh air. I too would like to see less fairy tale stuff, it's run it's course.
Old August 5 2013, 06:58 PM   #29
davejames
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Capaldi can play anything, there is no way to know what kind of Doctor he's going to be. That being said, my bet is on an abrasive curmudgeon type, a Gregory House Doctor.
I really can't see Moffat wanting to write the Doctor that way. I'm sure he'll dial down the zaniness and fairytale vibe to SOME degree, but Moffat still clearly enjoys writing his fun, fast-paced, time-twisty stories-- and you kind of need a Doctor who can work well within that style.

My guess is this will basically be another Christopher Eccleston Doctor-- someone a bit more serious, but who still has no trouble running around or breaking into a huge, geeky smile at a moment's notice.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 07:00 PM   #30
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I really hope he's like Eccleston's Doctor. Maybe even a little darker.