Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 3 2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Kaziarl
Commodore

Kaziarl's model corner

So... I have nothing for you here. Yet!

I, Kaziarl, am an addict. I love models (not runway models, although those are nice too). But it's been some 15 years since I've build one, and I'm not sure what's out there anymore. So I am turning to the wonderfully helpful and sometimes terribly blunt community of TrekBBS for advice. What are, in your opinion, some of the best models in the last 15 years? Something nice for me to get back into the pool, so to speak.

At the moment I am leaning towards a couple of specific models. For Trek, I'm oogling the USS Reliant, and the NX-01 Enterprise. If there is a really well made Defiant model, I would consider that too. Basically, I like the smaller ships.

For non-trek, I really like the Galactica from the newer BSG series. Actually I like both versions, but so far as I can tell there aren't many of the older one to be had. Someone in a facebook group I'm in suggested the Pegasus instead, as they say it is bigger. I might do that one later, but I really like the Galactica.

I can't seem to find any Stargate model kits, but if anyone knows of some I'd love to have a look. I imagine a model kit of Atlantis would be both amazing and infuriating.

I also like Gundams. My favorites are Wing 0, Wing 0 Custom (the angel wing variant), and Deathscythe from Gundam Wing.

There are so many I would like to do, I'm just not sure where to start. So what do you guys think? Once I have one picked, and acquire it, I'll post pictures of it in here.
Old August 3 2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Kaziarl's model corner

Your timing is great, because we're in the middle of a resurgence of sci fi model kits.

Round 2/Polar Lights has some great newer Star Trek kits, in addition to reissues of the old kits. If you want to start small and slow, their 1/1000 Enterprises (TOS and refit) are fantastic little 12" kits. If you're ambitious, they also make both kits in 1/350 scale at almost 3 feet long.

Moebius Models has been blessing us with big new kits of the vehicles from Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and the New Galactica (among other properties!) for a few years now, with a Viper and Galactica from the old series planned for this year.

I recommend you check out the web stores at www.starshipmodeler.com and www.culttvman.com and shop, shop, shop.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

the revell 1/600 tos enterprise is a very nice kit. (dont know if it made it out of europe, there was something funny with the licensing, might've been sorted by now though)

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 10:43 PM   #4
Forbin
Admiral

Except it's pretty inaccurate - more of an "impression" of the Enterprise, like the AMT kit was. The Polar Lights Es are by fare the most accurate ever, with shapes and measurements and details taken straight from the original in the Smithsonian.
Old August 3 2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

i know its not super accurate, but it goes together nicely and you can do some nice kitbashery with it :P

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Forbin
Admiral

Kitbashery IS important!