Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 9 2013, 01:51 PM   #46
Othello
Commodore

Re: Time Warner pulls CBS station signals, L.A., NYC

BillJ wrote: View Post
Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post

So, by that logic, if you plopped down $80 for a Star Trek Blu-Ray set, and found out halfway through the season that CBS home video decided through negotiation breakdown that they couldn't put the rest of the season on disc and were going to replace the last half season with episodes from Everybody Loves Raymond, you wouldn't have a problem with it? Spending your hard earned money on the set?
This has got to be one of the worst analogies I've ever seen.

I don't know about you, but I've had cable through various providers for the last thirty years. I can't remember a year where they weren't negotiating with one content provider or another and there have been many years where we've temporarily lost programming due to drawn out negotiations. DirecTV, Dish and other cable providers go through the same negotiations every single year with one content provider or another. I was with Insight before Time Warner took over and went through the same shit time and again. It's simply part of the subscription TV model.

Whispers that I hear have CBS/Showtime asking for a 600% increase in the carry fees that they receive from Time Warner. Imagine if Time Warner sent you a letter telling you they were going to increase your cost of Showtime six-fold just so you could watch Dexter on time! So it's no surprise that CBS held the premiere of Showtime's most popular show until two days after their contract with Time Warner expired, knowing that it would spark this type of response.

It's just TV, so whenever this happens I find something else to watch. If there's nothing better to watch I'll go read a book or play a video game or *gasp* go outside.
Yup. NO companies are immune to this phenomenon.
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 01:53 PM   #47
Othello
Commodore

Thing is: the missed episodes are likely to show up on Showtime On-Demand almost immediately after the dispute is settled. So the only way people will have to wait a year to see the episodes on home-video is if it takes more than a year to settle the dispute.
While it's more likely that it will be resolved given the channels involved Uverse to this day still doesn't have The Hallmark Channel because of a dispute like this that happened about two years ago or so.
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 02:16 PM   #48
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Dude. Multiquote is your friend.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 09:33 AM   #49
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Othello wrote: View Post
Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
Vanyel wrote: View Post
From the News release I got, Time Warner will be giving customers prorated rebates for the time that the premium channels like Showetime, for the time they are off the air.
I should hope so, since I'm still paying for the damn thing. This really chaps my ass since two of must watch shows come on Showtime, and now I'm going to have to wait for the fucking Blu-Rays NEXT YEAR to watch them

Time Warner sucks ass and has shitty customer service. When we got the box and Showtime, we were told AMC was coming to Time Warner shortly. Well, three years later, still no AMC, and they even aired a Time Warner/AMC/Walking Dead ad during the goddamn Superbowl. I called and raised holy hell over that.
I love TW and have had awesome customer service every time I've contacted them.. Not to mention their service has been damn reliable for many many years for me.
Same here. Problems fixed quickly. Friendly representatives. I wont move from them, unless that changes. Having worked customer service I know what kind of A-holes people can be. People say things to you they would never say in public. So I know it's hard to be polite and cheerful and to make that one customer feel like he's the only one we have. They've done it without fail.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 09:42 PM   #50
publiusr
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
publiusr wrote: View Post
This is why I want more regulation.

1.) No company can cahrge over 100 bucks a month--and for that you get everything. All channels, internet, 'phone--everything.
2.) all local channels and network channels must be carried by all cable and satellite companies BY LAW!!
One and two conflict and would be very bad for cable companies financially.
Boo hoo.

I'm not sure about the first of the above rules but I would unhesitatingly support the second.
If a company can't make it on a hundred bucks or month they need to shut down. The infrastructure has already been paid for--and a hundred bucks a month is just fine for the greedy bastards.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 11:32 PM   #51
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

If a company can't make it on a hundred bucks or month they need to shut down. The infrastructure has already been paid for--and a hundred bucks a month is just fine for the greedy bastards.
Yes, because if, say, ten different channels decided to start charging $11 per person (just as a wild example), it's the cable/satellite dish company's fault that they can't give you all ten for $100. Simply because the infrastructure is already there.

Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 11:48 PM   #52
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

This is a ridiculous statement.

I have 100 unique HD channels, just say they each charge a carry fee of a dollar, there is your hundred dollars. That doesn't factor in maintenance of infrastructure, updating technology, paying customer service reps and technicians for service calls to fix minor and major outages. They also have to charge taxes as mandated by the Federal, State and Local governments. They also have to pay to maintain services for customers who don't have HD equipment.

Then they also want to generate a profit.
Old September 2 2013, 10:39 PM   #53
BillJ
Admiral

Agreement reached. Showtime is already back on here in Northern Kentucky.
Old September 3 2013, 12:06 AM   #54
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Agreement reached. Showtime is already back on here in Northern Kentucky.
Same here in So. Cal. Just in time for the NFL. I have a feeling this is gong to become a regular occurrence, though.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 01:26 AM   #55
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Welcome to the new cable industry. All your local affiliates are bought up by companies that want to make money off you and your cable provider. Then your cable provider, who do try and negotiate for your well being (I've been through this through a third party vendor for a cable company, so I have first hand experience), is unwilling to take all of those costs on, so your bill goes up.

It's greedy versus greedy and we're in the middle. The only real way to stop it is to get rid of all the affiliates and have one CBS, one NBC, etc. for everyone.
Old September 3 2013, 02:22 AM   #56
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Danny99 wrote: View Post
It's greedy versus greedy and we're in the middle. The only real way to stop it is to get rid of all the affiliates and have one CBS, one NBC, etc. for everyone.
That wouldn't have solved the problem - the dispute was between TWC and CBS the corporation. Both CBS and other CBS-owned channels were unavailable. The exact same thing would've happened in your scenario (except that potentially some affiliates were still available during this blackout; none would be if there was just the national channel).

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 02:29 AM   #57
Dream
Admiral

What were the details of the deal?
Old September 3 2013, 02:38 AM   #58
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
My money's on "TWC surrendered".

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 04:58 PM   #59
BillJ
Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
My money's on "TWC surrendered".
Which means people's bills will go up and they'll blame Time-Warner and not CBS.
Old September 3 2013, 10:09 PM   #60
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The terms of the deal is as follows....

Bend over and cough up some money.