Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 28 2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Trek Survivor
Captain

Season 3 HD starts next week in UK

Sorry if it's elsewhere in another thread, but SyFy in the UK begin their broadcasts of the HD versions of TNG Season 3 next week (preceded by DS9 from the start).
Old February 28 2013, 02:01 PM   #2
DrBeverly
Ensign

Re: Season 3 HD starts next week in UK

Thanks for the heads up!
DrBeverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 02:23 PM   #3
NewHorizon
Captain

Why would they air Season 3 in HD before the bluray release? That has to be a mistake.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Trek Survivor
Captain

Season 2 in HD began airing before the Blu-Ray release as well.
Old February 28 2013, 07:47 PM   #5
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

So it's REAL HD, and not stretched upscales of the DVDs?
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 08:00 PM   #6
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I think the better question is, why the heck doesn't the US get any of this stuff. The blu-rays are shipped out of here for heaven's sake.

It just seems like Canada and the UK get much better stuff than we in the US do. Maybe that view is opposite in Canada and the UK, but man, why is it that the show was shot in the US, the Blu-Rays are coming from the US, and Starfleet Academy is even in San Francisco yet the UK gets Season 3 HD on TV in syndication before us. Hell, we haven't even seen Season 1 HD here and I don't think we will for quite some time.
Old February 28 2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Dream
Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I think the better question is, why the heck doesn't the US get any of this stuff. The blu-rays are shipped out of here for heaven's sake.

It just seems like Canada and the UK get much better stuff than we in the US do. Maybe that view is opposite in Canada and the UK, but man, why is it that the show was shot in the US, the Blu-Rays are coming from the US, and Starfleet Academy is even in San Francisco yet the UK gets Season 3 HD on TV in syndication before us. Hell, we haven't even seen Season 1 HD here and I don't think we will for quite some time.
It might be a rights issue. Doesn't SPIKE still own the rights to showing TNG reruns in the US?

CBS might be waiting for the rights to expire before letting the HD episodes air in the US. That way they can sell the episodes to a new network for more money.
Old February 28 2013, 09:02 PM   #8
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Dream wrote: View Post

It might be a rights issue. Doesn't SPIKE still own the rights to showing TNG reruns in the US?

CBS might be waiting for the rights to expire before letting the HD episodes air in the US. That way they can sell the episodes to a new network for more money.
If Spike does, why is BBC America the home of TNG in syndication now? Besides, now that BBC America does have more HD visibility around the country, and if they still want to continue airing TNG, why not do TNG HD, like on Saturday Nights with Doctor Who?
Old February 28 2013, 09:18 PM   #9
Dream
Admiral

If Spike does, why is BBC America the home of TNG in syndication now? Besides, now that BBC America does have more HD visibility around the country, and if they still want to continue airing TNG, why not do TNG HD, like on Saturday Nights with Doctor Who?
UK paid more money to air TNG HD?

I would think the rights to the standard TNG episodes and TNG on HD are different things. CBS woudn't even be remastering TNG if they didn't think they could make a bunch from selling the remastered show to networks.
Old March 4 2013, 12:45 AM   #10
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

I've seen it advertised tonight can't wait I've ordered it on blu ray but my vergin media device is like a Borg drone ready to Assimilate every episode!!!! The joys of the thumbs up button !!!
Old March 4 2013, 09:35 PM   #11
cheeseyfatmonkey
Commander

Unless my TV or Tivo is knackered then it seems it's just upscaled and not a proper HD broadcast.
cheeseyfatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 10:26 PM   #12
DrBeverly
Ensign

Yeah, I was just thinking that, it doesn't look very good quality at all.
DrBeverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 12:19 AM   #13
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Yeah not convinced its in HD.? Picture quality is very poor looks like upscaled DVD quality just been checking out the blu ray trailer definitely not HD ??? Can anyone confirm this ????
Old March 5 2013, 03:06 AM   #14
silent_man
Lieutenant Commander

Yep, it was definitely in sd. I can only guess Syfy have been getting good ratings with seasons 1 and 2, and didnt want to wait until the hd copies of season 3 were available. Or possibly CBS are only making 1 and 2 available to tv networks, with the hope of convincing more people to buy the rest of the series on blu-ray. I guess we'll have to wait until April/May to see if the hd season 3 turns up on Syfy or not.
silent_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 02:26 PM   #15
Trek Survivor
Captain

Missed it, but take your word for it - I was going on the promotion. Very cheeky of them.