Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 4 2013, 04:14 AM   #76
Warped9
Admiral

Re: JJverse converts

We have a tendency to remember the good and forget the bad. Most of the stuff on television today I care nothing for. Back in the day...most of what was on television I cared nothing for either.
Old August 4 2013, 03:19 PM   #77
Mr. Hengist
Lieutenant

BillJ wrote: View Post
And people wonder why I'm embarrassed to be a TOS fan?

Which "people wonder" about your attitude towards anything?

Do you actually think other people care about your personal insecurities with respect to liking/disliking a television show from the 1960's?

Your sense of "embarrassment" is simply your own insecurity at actually liking a pretty good 1960's t.v. show which apparently contradicts your pretensions. But that's your issue, isn't it?

I mean it sounds pretty much like you feel the same sense of shame or embarrassment w/r/t liking TOS that a French chef who likes to secretly sneak Twinkies would feel about doing that.

The "eyeroll" says it all about your attitude, doesn't it? You think you're "better" than "the kind of people" who see something of value in TOS. Yet you like it all the same. And so you're embarrassed only because your actual tastes conflict with your pretensions.

You know what? You don't have to like TOS or anything else if you don't choose to--and no one else really cares. If you want to be a fan, be a fan. If you don't, don't.

Taste is subjective.

That's not an excuse for equating taste with tastelessness.
Old August 4 2013, 03:59 PM   #78
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Mr. Hengist wrote: View Post
And people wonder why I'm embarrassed to be a TOS fan?

Which "people wonder" about your attitude towards anything?

Do you actually think other people care about your personal insecurities with respect to liking/disliking a television show from the 1960's?

Your sense of "embarrassment" is simply your own insecurity at actually liking a pretty good 1960's t.v. show which apparently contradicts your pretensions. But that's your issue, isn't it?

I mean it sounds pretty much like you feel the same sense of shame or embarrassment w/r/t liking TOS that a French chef who likes to secretly sneak Twinkies would feel about doing that.

The "eyeroll" says it all about your attitude, doesn't it? You think you're "better" than "the kind of people" who see something of value in TOS. Yet you like it all the same. And so you're embarrassed only because your actual tastes conflict with your pretensions.

You know what? You don't have to like TOS or anything else if you don't choose to--and no one else really cares. If you want to be a fan, be a fan. If you don't, don't.

Taste is subjective.

That's not an excuse for equating taste with tastelessness.
This is awfully personal.

Dial it back, please.

Thanks.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 11:26 PM   #79
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

DCR wrote: View Post
For what it's worth, my daughter enjoys TOS and refuses to watch JJTrek.
My kids couldn't care less about any Trek, JJ or otherwise.
Old August 5 2013, 12:01 AM   #80
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
DCR wrote: View Post
For what it's worth, my daughter enjoys TOS and refuses to watch JJTrek.
My kids couldn't care less about any Trek, JJ or otherwise.
Well, the Geek is strong in my child: she loves role playing and has her own pull list at the local comic shop.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 11:09 PM   #81
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
How likely is it for viewers of either or both movies to be inspired to watch TOS episodes and become a fan of it?
I have heard of this happening, it's fairly common.

On a personal level, my stepdaughter's bf watched the two JJ movies as an introduction to Star Trek and now has been watching all ST series but TOS (apparently it's just too old) on Netflix for the very first time. Enterprise and STNG seem to be his favorites.

RAMA
Old August 8 2013, 12:04 AM   #82
BennieGamali
Lieutenant Commander

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Ronald Held wrote: View Post
How likely is it for viewers of either or both movies to be inspired to watch TOS episodes and become a fan of it?
I've seen a few posters with that story come through this site since 2009.

Supposedly there was a spike in Trek DVD sales across all series when the 2009 movie came out. And after Into Darkness premiered, Wrath of Khan was at the top of the Netflix chart for awhile.
The question is if those are converts or fans rewatching what they already like.
I am a.. "convert" though I am uncertain why that would be the term for this particular thing.

I am an ACTUAL convert in the sense that before that movie I was an SG1 fan and I was a bit weird about it.. I couldn't like both ST and SG1 at the same time. Don't ask me where the logic is in that, because I honestly do not know. So the movie made me get over that silly weirdness and I bought TNG because that's what I watched as a kid. I then bought TOS because I needed more.. I now own all the series and yeah..

Short story: Yes.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty
BennieGamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 07:12 PM   #83
RAMA
Vice Admiral

"Star Trek" is the most-watched TV show on streaming sites, according to market research group GfK's 2013 report HuffPo.

So Im willing to bet the JJverse has something to do with this as well.
Old August 10 2013, 12:27 AM   #84
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

I'm only on page 2 of this, so I apologize if I'm repeating anyone.

Melakon wrote: View Post
All I can say is, it's a good thing TOS was filmed in color, or some people would refuse to watch it just because of that. It saddens me that there are those who ignore some of the greatest films in history because they're in black and white.
trevanian wrote: View Post

With the surprising-to-me large percentage of youngers who don't seem to 'reach' TOS, I'm wondering if any of them can get through FORBIDDEN PLANET or THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL or COLOSSUS THE FORBIN PROJECT, to name 3 pretty solid pics (even if FP has got some 50s-isms that are flinch-worthy.) I'm thinking 2001 would be totally off the table for most, if it is a matter of attention span.
I don't think it's a matter of attention span. I think it more comes down to the fact that the world newer generations have grown up in is very different than the world we grew up in.
Jeri wrote: View Post
I think the only remedy is probably going to be a new Trek series that is relevant to the world they're living in now.
trevanian wrote: View Post
Wouldn't explain the continued relevancy of others that have withstood the test of time.

I also think that the changes in our world are largely cosmetic. We don't have to go downtown to the library to do our research, but we still have governments discrediting do-gooders or those who think outside proscribed boxes, and crimes predicated on race and so many other damn things that are the same that it isn't funny.
One other aspect these quotes touch on revolves around 21st Century production values and storytelling methods. Most (if not all) TOS only has 1 story per episode. There are no A storylines and B storylines. Today it seems that most (if not all) television shows have multiple plot lines going on in every episode with only the occasional "big" episodes (like season finales) exclusively devoted to a single plot. You can call it the ADD mentality or whatever, but the thinking is that viewers are either not interested in just one plot or some producers may hope to keep viewers by giving them a choice as to which plot they may be more interested in.

Additionally we have multi episode story arcs in a lot of TV shows now that was unheard of in TOS.

Along with a difference in storytelling comes the way the episodes are shot and produced. Camera angles, etc... I watched or heard a commentary about television production for sporting events in the past vs. today that will illustrate my point. In the past sporting events were shot with one, two or relatively few cameras. Today sporting events use a wide variety of cameras, angles and positions to cover the action. Further, they try to avoid staying with one camera for more than 30 seconds before switching. The reason for this is to keep viewers. The thinking is if the camera isn't constantly switching to provide different angles of action, the viewer gets bored and changes the channel.

I've noticed this with some television episodes. They are switching angles, cameras, views all the time, even if the scene is just a conversation between two individuals. Or they try something new like shooting through the window or through the glass bottle or whatever is "in the way" to give a certain stylistic ambiance to the scene.

Today's viewers are used to all of these developments even if they're not consciously aware of it. As stated, it's great that TOS is in color or so many fewer people would be watching it than they do now. My step-son refuses to watch anything in B&W. Today's generation want quick slick looking scenes with lots of lights and explosions.

To gain the most viewers the product has to appeal to the largest audience.

Plus, the TOS stories are kinda dated. As pointed out by others, it's so much easier to point out the plot holes and inconsistencies now and 21st Century science fact has outpaced 1960s science fiction in a lot of areas. Audiences are a lot more cosmopolitan nowadays. What seemed like a cool idea in 1969 can seem quite hokey today.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 12:43 AM   #85
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Kinokima wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
Yeah, our parents and grandparents said THAT about us, too. I remember it well.
But I enjoy the stuff my parents and grandparents liked.
AH! THEREIN LIES THE RUB!

When I was growing up (born in 1971), my dad would tell me stories about the shows he watched when HE was younger - Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Night Gallery, etc... With only 4 TV stations (3 networks and 1 independent) and no Nick at Night, it was years before I finally got a chance to watch some of these classic shows myself.

So, here I was a kid in the 70s eager to watch these old B&W shows that were not being broadcast anymore. Flash forward to the 2000s and kids don't want to watch this old stuff despite having 24/7 access to them through cable, Netflix, the Net, etc...

Why is it that my generation could enjoy movies and TV from my parents and grandparents generation, yet my kids (and future grandkids) turn their noses up and what I enjoyed and grew up with?
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 12:58 AM   #86
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Shawnster wrote: View Post

Why is it that my generation could enjoy movies and TV from my parents and grandparents generation, yet my kids (and future grandkids) turn their noses up and what I enjoyed and grew up with?
Born in '71 as well.

I just think it comes down to the fact that there is a ton more to do now. We watched alot of this stuff simply because there wasn't much of a choice entertainment wise.

I'm a huge TOS fan. But would I have been as big of fan if I had been four in 2005 as opposed to 1975? Where it would've been part of the 500-channel universe, competing with video games and the internet? I simply don't know...
Old August 10 2013, 01:09 AM   #87
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Shawnster wrote: View Post

Born in '71 as well.
I was born in '51, so I'm old enough to be your crazy uncle. My parents were born in '04 and '10, and they sometimes watched old movies on TV. I sort of got an appreciation for Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney, and Edward G. Robinson that way. And John Wayne too perhaps, since my Mom liked Westerns. I was watching stuff like The Outer Limits, Combat!, Star Trek, and eagerly watched The Prisoner when it aired as a summer replacement for Jackie Gleason or something.
Old August 10 2013, 01:13 AM   #88
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post

I was born in '51, so I'm old enough to be your crazy uncle.
You're actually older than my Dad who was born in '53.
Old August 10 2013, 01:24 AM   #89
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

The year 2009 was the first time I was older than the President. It's a real strange feeling.
Old August 10 2013, 07:05 AM   #90
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Me too.

Shakes fist at sky. "OBAMAAAAA!!!!!!"