Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 16 2013, 10:15 PM   #46
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Re: What do we know about the years between ST5 and ST6?

Timo wrote: View Post
Interestingly, Uhura Prime wore command gold for a few episodes, perhaps suggesting career ambitions cut short by Kirk reshuffling his crew after the early casualties and before the first proper starbase visit.
Or Uhura, a capable adult person, making a career choice for her own reasons.
Old August 16 2013, 10:23 PM   #47
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Or the damn replicator screwed up that day.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 10:26 PM   #48
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Or Uhura was color-blind and thought she was still wearing a gold uniform the whole time.
Old August 16 2013, 11:05 PM   #49
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Or the damn replicator screwed up that day.
Or a mix-up in the laundry room.
Old August 16 2013, 11:51 PM   #50
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Gold skirts were pretty rare. The only one of any significance was Martine in Balance of Terror. Female guest stars tended to be in red or blue. Silent extras got gold.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old August 17 2013, 05:10 AM   #51
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Gold skirts were pretty rare. The only one of any significance was Martine in Balance of Terror. Female guest stars tended to be in red or blue. Silent extras got gold.
Wasn't there a Lt. Radha in That Which Survives?
Old August 17 2013, 12:22 PM   #52
Timo
Admiral

Then there's Captain D. Okuda, appearing in many publications and a few TOS-R portholes...

Uhura wearing red for most of the five-year mission might be chalked up as her "temping" in a "services" job on her way to command positions, much like Riker wore mustard. She would have limited options to do back-and-forth when stuck on the deep space ship, hence a longer stint as with many other "command characters". But she is then seen sticking to "services" colors for the entire run of the TOS movies. From what we are led to understand of the significance of the command color, this would seem to amount to her career stalling. (Or then moving to the SFI path behind the scenes.)

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 04:16 PM   #53
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Wasn't there a Lt. Radha in That Which Survives?
I knew someone would think of another one. Yeah, I forgot about her. Not sure if her part was as significant as Martine's, but a step or two above the usual no name extra gold skirt.
Old August 17 2013, 04:51 PM   #54
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I knew someone would think of another one. Yeah, I forgot about her.
You knew the dangers of posting on the TrekBBS when you signed on!
Old August 17 2013, 09:35 PM   #55
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

Captain Nebula wrote: View Post

In most stories, Uhura is an excellent linguist. Except in "The Undiscovered Country", I guess.
No.

Uhura is never shown to be a linguist in the TV series or movies until J.J. Abrams shows up.
She is in numerous novels, tho. She also makes updates to the Universal Translator in several novels. I think it makes the character a lot richer. Otherwise, she just ends up being the receptionist that answers the phone.
Old August 17 2013, 10:02 PM   #56
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

In most stories, Uhura is an excellent linguist. Except in "The Undiscovered Country", I guess.
No.

Uhura is never shown to be a linguist in the TV series or movies until J.J. Abrams shows up.
She is in numerous novels, tho. She also makes updates to the Universal Translator in several novels. I think it makes the character a lot richer. Otherwise, she just ends up being the receptionist that answers the phone.
This is true, and I've probably gone to that well myself on occasion. But it's probably worth remembering that this was NEVER established onscreen, so a movie isn't "wrong" if it "forgets" about it.

You can't forget what was never there.
Old August 17 2013, 10:03 PM   #57
Timo
Admiral

Why couldn't a receptionist be a significant heroine?

It's not as if you really need a doctorate in order to be an interesting person, or a courageous individual, or a rich and pivotal character in drama. Aboard a starship, you can contribute a lot by being able to fix machinery: 430 lives might depend on you for that.

Sulu never got short-shifted for only knowing how to turn left and right, for some reason. Even the novels don't dwell on his supposed "physics" background as indicated in "Where No Man"; it's something Sulu leaves well behind after Enterprise: The First Adventure and The Entropy Effect. Sure, he has all sorts of eccentric and short-lived hobbies, but he doesn't need to be a skilled something-or-other in addition to being able to perform evasive maneuvers.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 12:56 AM   #58
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

Sulu also got to fire Phasers and Photon Torpedoes until the first couple of movies. The Navigator (Chekov in the later episodes) didn't seem to have much to do.
Old August 18 2013, 04:19 PM   #59
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Sulu also got to fire Phasers and Photon Torpedoes until the first couple of movies. The Navigator (Chekov in the later episodes) didn't seem to have much to do.
In the books, I tend to let Chekov fire the weapons just to give him something to do. Sulu pilots the ship, Uhura handles communications, and Chekov gets to shoot things and raises shields on occasion.

(Chekov can also be used to scan alien ships and probes if Spock is not available.)
Old August 18 2013, 04:46 PM   #60
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

No.

This is true, and I've probably gone to that well myself on occasion. But it's probably worth remembering that this was NEVER established onscreen, so a movie isn't "wrong" if it "forgets" about it.

You can't forget what was never there.
I read somewhere that Uhura'a linguistic skills were added to the character for the aborted Phase II television series, and it's something Nichelle talked about at conventions - hence it's inclusion in several novels (IIRC, she even spoke perfect Klingon in one of Diane Duane's!)

I guess, like McCoy's divorce backstory, it's one of those little pseudo-canon tidbits that never fully materialized until the reboot.