IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 24 2013, 06:54 AM   #121
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Re: FLASH series being developed for The CW

theenglish wrote: View Post
Dean Cain and Christopher Reeve both appeared on Smallville in different roles.
TheSeeker wrote: View Post
They even had Helen Slater playing Lara on Smallville.
Smallville had Christopher Reeve, Margo Kidder, Terence Stamp, Annette O'Toole, Marc McClure and Helen Slater from the movies and I'm sure Marlon Brando would have done it if he hadn't died. Then they had Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher. They even did a little Dukes of Hazzard reunion complete with a Ford Charger. Impressive stuff for one show.

I'd love to see Shipp make an appearance and maybe they can throw in Amanda Pays too.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 07:05 AM   #122
sojourner
Admiral

Dodge Charger.
Old November 24 2013, 10:11 AM   #123
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Agent Richard07 wrote:
... and I'm sure Marlon Brando would have done it if he hadn't died.
Brando doing Smallville. Yeah, right.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 07:08 PM   #124
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post

I'd love to see Shipp make an appearance and maybe they can throw in Amanda Pays too.
Amanda Pays would be neat too.
The Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 05:43 PM   #125
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Ya know Shipp is old enough to play an Earth 2 Jay Garrick at this point. A season ending cliff hanger where Barry vibrates to another world. Very much in keeping with the science aspect of the universe they are creating. I would really geek out at that point.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 06:08 PM   #126
Christopher
Writer

Err, no, "vibrating to another world" is about as far from science as you can get. Arrow may be adding superpowers up to a point, but the show is basically set in a realistic universe, so I'd be surprised if they did anything as fanciful and absurd as transitioning to another quantum reality just by wiggling really fast.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 06:58 PM   #127
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

Well there have been repeated mentions of a particle accelerator on news broadcasts on Arrow so I think it's safe to say this will play a part in Barry Allen getting his powers. This is pretty unscientific as well so I don't see how bringing other realities into play is a stretch. Everything about the Flash is fanciful.
The Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 07:11 PM   #128
sojourner
Admiral

So, the way this is headed, The Flash will be the first super powered hero of this version of the DC universe.
Old November 25 2013, 08:14 PM   #129
Christopher
Writer

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Well there have been repeated mentions of a particle accelerator on news broadcasts on Arrow so I think it's safe to say this will play a part in Barry Allen getting his powers. This is pretty unscientific as well so I don't see how bringing other realities into play is a stretch. Everything about the Flash is fanciful.
But that doesn't mean you throw every fanciful idea at the audience at once. It should be kept in mind that these shows aren't made for comics/animation fans who are used to accepting all this weirdness, but for a general TV audience that needs to be eased into it. You can't push so far that the audience loses its willingness to suspend disbelief. So if you're going to inject fanciful elements into what's been a realistic universe until now, you do it gradually, a little at a time. You don't just abruptly toss out all the rules and spring a whole universe's worth of absurdities on the audience all at once.

sojourner wrote: View Post
So, the way this is headed, The Flash will be the first super powered hero of this version of the DC universe.
Well, there have been rumors that Stephen Amell or Grant Gustin would cameo in Man of Steel 2, thus merging the successful Arrowverse with the shaky DC film universe in hopes of shoring it up a bit. But I'd prefer it if they didn't, because it's hard to reconcile Arrow with a universe where Batman's been around for decades; plus there's been no mention in the show of the fall of Metropolis and the discovery of Kryptonians, which was supposed to be a world-changing event. It would be an awkward merger.

Old November 25 2013, 08:28 PM   #130
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Err, no, "vibrating to another world" is about as far from science as you can get.
Hey, some women can do that!

Well, there have been rumors that Stephen Amell or Grant Gustin would cameo in Man of Steel 2, thus merging the successful Arrowverse with the shaky DC film universe in hopes of shoring it up a bit. But I'd prefer it if they didn't, because it's hard to reconcile Arrow with a universe where Batman's been around for decades; plus there's been no mention in the show of the fall of Metropolis and the discovery of Kryptonians,
I've thought of this myself. The simplest answer would be, if Amell does appear in the film, to age him 10-15 years. Of course this would mean the audience would have to ignore any direct mention of dates.
Old November 25 2013, 10:06 PM   #131
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
Ya know Shipp is old enough to play an Earth 2 Jay Garrick at this point. A season ending cliff hanger where Barry vibrates to another world. Very much in keeping with the science aspect of the universe they are creating. I would really geek out at that point.
You and me both.

Well there is a certain symmetry to that, as the Flash launched DC's Silver Age of Super-heroes.
Old November 25 2013, 10:20 PM   #132
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

Well there is a certain symmetry to that, as the Flash launched DC's Silver Age of Super-heroes.
I was going to post that! I am quite wary of how the Arrow universe will suddenly become populated by super-heroes. It is not impossible to do, but certainly means reworking much of the show's premise.

I would think Christopher is on the right track, to gradually introduce fantastical concepts. I could see the concept of super powers appear gradually, perhaps with a new Count Vertigo, the Lazarus Pits, or the current Deathstroke. Later on the show can witness reports about Batman and Gotham and then the reaction to Man of Steel should be incorporated.

As for Flash, a similar approach could introduce the cosmic treadmill over the course of the first season, ending with a visit to Earth 2 for Crisis on Two Earths.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 10:21 PM   #133
JD
Admiral

I've seen a couple sites with this quote from Arrow EP Greg Berlanti, where he discusses whether or not Arrow will crossover with the movies:
Greg Berlanti wrote:
“We haven’t had any of those conversations other than to say, what characters are we allowed to use this year and advocate or request certain ones that are of interest to us,” Arrow Executive Producer Greg Berlanti told Fandago. “And every now and then, they’ll say, ‘You can’t have that guy.’ They don’t say why, and we figure out why later on.”

Here's the CBR story.
Old November 26 2013, 01:17 AM   #134
Christopher
Writer

I really, really don't want any "cosmic treadmill." It's ridiculous. I don't want the Speed Force, I don't want Barry to be able to run at the speed of light or whatever. I want a Flash who obeys the laws of physics and can't run faster than maybe a few hundred kilometers per hour, tops. I mean, once past about 27,000 kph, you'd reach orbital velocity and just fly off the ground, so there's no possible way a human being could run faster than that; beyond that point he'd have to be flying. That's always annoyed me about the Flash in comics and cartoons, the way that basic fact was ignored, along with numerous other facts of friction, inertia, reaction time, you name it. I prefer a Flash who has some marginally plausible limitations on his speed, like the one from the '90s show.

Old November 26 2013, 01:29 AM   #135
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

^ The Flash from the 90s show got a guy out of an electric chair as the switch was being pulled and no one saw him. That's the kind of thing I want to see. Being able to run a little faster than a cheetah doesn't make for an impressive Flash.

Some of the problems you mentioned like physics, reaction time and whatnot have been a problem for me as well. I don't have a good rationale, but I sometimes like to think that he's in his own little "bubble" that exists at a different pace and that he's not just moving really fast.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote