RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,665
Members: 24,816
Currently online: 477
Newest member: CapSmith

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 8 2014, 11:41 PM   #646
sojourner
Admiral

Re: FLASH series being developed for The CW

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Countries are determined by 200 miles from their beaches out to sea before international waters start.
12 miles.
Old August 8 2014, 11:46 PM   #647
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I'm pretty sure the "King of the Seas" is a figurehead.
Old August 9 2014, 12:07 AM   #648
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Depending on who is writing, there are several undersea city/states and sometimes even many of them are called Atlantis, each with their governors/kings.

But considering how manifest destiny underpinned by US post offices crept Whitey across the western frontier of America, you would think that the Atlanteans have some version of "Post Offices" spread out across the seabed ratifying their Dominion.

Seriously though, there is nothing to stop them for the last thousands of years from having "farms" the size of Texas to create a stock or produce to keep every one happy and fat.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 12:17 AM   #649
Christopher
Writer

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure the "King of the Seas" is a figurehead.
Well, I imagine Mera handles a lot of the day-to-day business of ruling while Arthur is off fighting supervillains with the Justice League.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 12:43 AM   #650
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They live in a light house in crab-apple Cove Main ( No, not really, yes a light house, but not in Crab-apple cove.). A couple months ago was a story about how the local cops tried to take Mera to jail because she got boisterous while shopping.

DC also made a statement recently that NO-ONE is married, which had nothing to do with preventing a gay marriage between Batwoman and Maggie Sawyer.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09/...woman-aquaman/

No one is married, and no is going to get married for the foreseeable future.

Dominion is pretty shit, but looking at how well they can do wings on people... A Hawkman, Hawkgirl or Hawkwoman live action TV show no longer seems out of the question.

Old August 9 2014, 01:36 AM   #651
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Me too. Things often go pretty bad when they decide to try to tie these kinds of things together after both have been developed separately.
The reason Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D worked out as well as it did is because it was developed from the start as a spinoff of the MCU movies.
And it's questionable how well AoS did, in fact, work out. The first 2/3 of the season were rather underwhelming because they were compelled to keep their big story arcs in reserve until after The Winter Soldier came out. Being tied into a movie universe can be inhibiting for a TV series. If Arrow and The Flash are tied only to each other, it gives them more freedom and flexibility than if they had to accommodate storylines from the feature films.
AoS did not have to tie itself into the WS so directly though. The Hydra arc could have been postponed until the second season with the Winter Soldier taking place between seasons.

What they did pissed me off a little--I avoided spoilers like the plague until I was able to see the movie well over a month from its release date.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 01:43 AM   #652
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I thought it made for an experience like no other - something that was truly cross-media. The closest I can think of were the things LOST did (the things to unlock clues between seasons and the mobisodes), but everything there was optional. With Agents of SHIELD season one, there was an experience that was only possible if you saw one episode of the season, went to see the movie, and then saw the next episode. It's the only time where seeing a movie in theaters made me excited about what would happen the following week. That's an experience that was great to have. It may have been one of the biggest risks ever to take, but I'm glad they did it.
Old August 9 2014, 03:23 AM   #653
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

^Except that stunt forced us to sit through 2/3rds of a season spinning in place waiting for the movie. Imagine if the movie had been delayed or a major event had occurred preempting AoS for several weeks.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 03:38 AM   #654
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Or what about if someone high enough up in TV said "Fuck it" and played the relevant S.H.I.E.L.D. episodes weeks before The Winter Soldier came out, thus screwing over the movie?

Old August 9 2014, 04:52 AM   #655
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

The Flash Enlists Clancy Brown for Major Recurring Role

He's playing General Wade Eiling.
Old August 9 2014, 04:56 AM   #656
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

delete
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.

Last edited by Nerys Myk; August 9 2014 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Joke ruined
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 04:57 AM   #657
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
Awesome! Now, with the Atom on Arrow,the two original halves of Firestorm cast for Flash, and now General Eiling, could Captain Atom be far behind?
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 05:56 AM   #658
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

And we can finally see how Felicity becomes Ronnie's Step mum?

Last edited by Guy Gardener; August 9 2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old August 9 2014, 01:44 PM   #659
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I thought it made for an experience like no other - something that was truly cross-media. The closest I can think of were the things LOST did (the things to unlock clues between seasons and the mobisodes), but everything there was optional. With Agents of SHIELD season one, there was an experience that was only possible if you saw one episode of the season, went to see the movie, and then saw the next episode. It's the only time where seeing a movie in theaters made me excited about what would happen the following week. That's an experience that was great to have. It may have been one of the biggest risks ever to take, but I'm glad they did it.

I too appreciated it...and made me wan to see the movie right away...and was not disappointed in either the movie or the show.

Icemizer wrote: View Post
^Except that stunt forced us to sit through 2/3rds of a season spinning in place waiting for the movie. Imagine if the movie had been delayed or a major event had occurred preempting AoS for several weeks.

The problem, in my opinion, was they had the TWS moment in mind, but didn't have much in the beginning. I mean, they only thought up the show a few months in advance, right?

Had the show been a part of the Marvel movie plan...there could be some things they could have tied in with other movies (other than or in addition to Avengers). Maybe some scene that could be looked at by another point of view. Like Skye witnessing some event where she was in the background or something.

(That's an off the cuff idea -- but the bottom line...leverage the movies and its production to sneak in stuff into the show). THAT would've made AoS in the beginning a little more interesting (to me)
Morpheus 02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 05:12 PM   #660
Mike Farley
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I have to say, I don't really care for the "My name is Barry Allen" tag they've been using. It's like they're trying too hard to frame it like Arrow.
Funny, it reminds me more of the Spider-Man movies, in that and other ways (and I've seen other people remarking on that too). But come to think of it, there is an Arrow parallel too.

Although, really, that seems to have become kind of the standard CW opening now. Last season, every episode of The Tomorrow People opened with "My name is Stephen Jameson," and Star-Crossed opened with "My name is Ronan." And most of their shows open with a similar expository speech by the main character even if it doesn't begin with "My name is...". (I know there's a technical term for that kind of opening narration, the mythology something, but I can't remember the second word. Mythology speech? Mythology cut? Something like that.)
Back in the 90's when Mark Waid was writing The Flash every issues began with the narration "My name is Wally West. I'm The Flash." (This was when Barry was dead and his protégée had taken over the role). So I take it as much a nod to a long standing trope of the comic as anything.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote