Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 31 2013, 10:07 PM   #46
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: FLASH series being developed for The CW

Christopher wrote: View Post
I expect the Flash's abilities on the show will be not quite as exaggerated as they are in the comics. I mean, they'd pretty much have to be, or you'd never see him move at all; he'd just seemingly teleport somewhere else.
Save a bunch on special effects....
Old July 31 2013, 10:26 PM   #47
sojourner
Admiral

It always gets me that from Flash's point of view everything else is in slow motion, so that while it appears to an outside observer that he ran across the continent in a few seconds, to him the subjective time is still weeks and months. That would suck. Unless he has some way to selectively control his perceived passage of time.
Old July 31 2013, 10:28 PM   #48
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Before you begin to type out that comment about how The Flash won't ever actually be in his costume and never be called "The Flash," Kreisberg says you have nothing to worry about. "No sweat suits or strange code names; he will be The Flash."

Imagine how silly they'd be if they called him "The blur" or something like that.

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 10:38 PM   #49
davejames
Vice Admiral

I know it gets ridiculed a lot, but I still think the slow-motion running in the Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman was a surprisingly effective way to show superspeed.

Obviously it was slowed down for our benefit (like slowing down footage of a hummingbird so you can see it's wings flap), but it was still easy to believe that they were moving at crazy fast speeds.

And it was a lot more exciting that watching a hazy blue or red blur zip around the screen.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 10:51 PM   #50
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I expect the Flash's abilities on the show will be not quite as exaggerated as they are in the comics. I mean, they'd pretty much have to be, or you'd never see him move at all; he'd just seemingly teleport somewhere else.
The Smallville episode where Lana finds out about Clark is a good example of this. They showed Clark taking off at super speed from Lana's perspective and one second he was there and the next he just seemed it disappear into thin air.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 11:44 PM   #51
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
How is the Flash, with his Super Speed, any more difficult to imagine then Superman, who has so many other powers on top of Super Speed? Or Thor who's a God?
Thor's some kind of alien who doesn't move at super-speed. Superman is a similar case, yes, but since his strength is more of a defining attribute than his speed, it never really bothered me on Smallville when Clark would simply brawl with his opponents rather than zipping around them and whaling on, say, the back of their necks. His zooming around was a bonus, not his selling point. Hard to see "The Flash" having the same excuse...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 11:49 PM   #52
Christopher
Writer

^The '90 series pulled it off for a whole season. The animated shows have pulled it off too. I don't see why it would be so problematical for this show to make it work.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 12:00 AM   #53
marksound
Fleet Captain

^The '90 series pulled it off for a whole season. The animated shows have pulled it off too. I don't see why it would be so problematical for this show to make it work.
That show wasn't half bad.

As for effects ...

marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 12:14 AM   #54
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ I have to watch that show sometime.

Anyway, I want a Flash that's FAST! I don't want them to tone down his powers for dramatic purposes. Part of his appeal for me is his absolute masterly over speed. I want to see him pull the guy out of the electric chair after the switch is pulled. As for what effect to use for his super speed, I like the afterimage effect best right now. I don't like the trailing blur either, though it didn't look too bad in that clip above.

Gaith wrote: View Post
Also, if the tone is considerably more lighthearted, maybe a half-hour format would be best? I doubt they'd do it, because hourlong shows are no doubt much cheaper on a per minute basis, but the live action The Tick had some great light-hearted half-house superhero stories.
I definitely don't want to see that. I want something more akin to the 90s show. That's the Flash I know best. I've never seen the character as lighthearted despite how he was presented in Justice League or whatever.

I wonder if we'll get a John Wesley Shipp appearance at some point, either on Arrow or the spinoff.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 12:15 AM   #55
Valley Forge
Lieutenant Commander

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
That show wasn't half bad.

As for effects ...
The irony is that 20 years ago this would have gotten an Emmy for special effects...

Vf
Valley Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 01:19 AM   #56
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I have no interest in Arrow, but the Flash thing has me curious...I may have to check it out.

Just please, don't put him in another muscle suit....

The 1990 series wasn't that bad, other than that.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 01:22 AM   #57
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ I thought it was a great looking live action suit. Better than spandex.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 01:38 AM   #58
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Ugh. If anyone should be wearing something sleek and form-fitting, it's a speedster. Runners don't wear padding.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 02:25 AM   #59
Christopher
Writer

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I definitely don't want to see that. I want something more akin to the 90s show. That's the Flash I know best. I've never seen the character as lighthearted despite how he was presented in Justice League or whatever.
Well, that's the thing about the '90s show -- it changed drastically in tone over the course of its season. It started out trying to be as dark and serious as the Burton Batman, but by the season finale it was at full-on Adam West levels of campiness. And really, even well before that, the show's Barry had become more lighthearted than he was in the pilot where he was all about avenging his brother. Heck, as early as the fourth episode (the third one aired) they introduced the recurring love interest that he had a fairly light and comic romance with.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 03:13 AM   #60
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

The 90s show did not really have a muscle suit. Not long ago I read an article of its designer explaining it. They approached it more like makeup. It was made up of different pieces sculpted to fit John Wesley Shipp's body. Than it was sprayed with a texture similar to flocking.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote