Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 9 2014, 06:53 PM   #541
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Re: FLASH series being developed for The CW

The Amells are really building a dynasty here... Robbie Amell, cousin of Stephen, and fresh from the cancellation of his other CW show "The Tomorrow People", lands a recurring role on Flash. As another superhero, no less.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/09/th...-robbie-amell/

I figured he'd land on Arrow eventually in some sort of guest role, but now he's halfway there.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 07:00 PM   #542
Christopher
Writer

First Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer, now Robbie Amell as Ronnie Raymond... there seems to be a trend of DC defaulting to the old, white versions of characters instead of the newer, more diverse versions.

By the way, Robbie Amell has a history with one other Warner Bros. property: He played Fred Jones in the two live-action Scooby-Doo prequels that came out on Cartoon Network/DVD in 2009-10.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 07:21 PM   #543
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Fred Jones must die.

He is the only thing standing between me, and living happily ever after with Daphne Blake.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 08:39 PM   #544
Agent Richard07
Retired

This is great news.

Here's a post I made in this very thread less than two months ago...

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I wonder if Firestorm will ever show up.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 10:25 PM   #545
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
First Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer, now Robbie Amell as Ronnie Raymond... there seems to be a trend of DC defaulting to the old, white versions of characters instead of the newer, more diverse versions.

By the way, Robbie Amell has a history with one other Warner Bros. property: He played Fred Jones in the two live-action Scooby-Doo prequels that came out on Cartoon Network/DVD in 2009-10.
Has there ever been any real interest in the thingy Choi version of the Atom? His series folded pretty quickly and except for a few spotty appearance he seems to have pretty much disappeared.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 10:38 PM   #546
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

He dated Gigantia.

Which is hilarious, and that alone deserves him a gold medal.

A supervillainess 20,000 times taller than he is.

Tall chicks rule.

Oh, and his lengthy friendship with Ray Palmer was again HILARIOUS!

They never met.

Pen pals.

Scientists in correspondence for years about science.

Chronos a time travelling nemesis of the original Atom, actually faked that lengthy relationship over the course of a long weekend to INVENT the origin/backstory of the Ryan Choi Atom, and use him in a complicated and nefarious plot to destroy Ray Palmer.

Further hilarity...

After an evil version of the Atom who was part of the Suicide Squad for a time Killed Ryan, Gigantia, Ryan's girlfriend, killed that Bad Atom (because she's as evil as she is hot.) and then carried his tiny, tiny, tiny corpse around in a matchbox... I think? That memory might be conflated or fragmented somehow?

Old July 9 2014, 10:57 PM   #547
Christopher
Writer

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Has there ever been any real interest in the thingy Choi version of the Atom? His series folded pretty quickly and except for a few spotty appearance he seems to have pretty much disappeared.
Ryan Choi was a recurring character in Batman: The Brave and the Bold, where he had a pretty fun mismatched-partners double act with Aquaman. He was an interesting character there because he thought of himself more as a scientist than a superhero and had little patience with all the macho fisticuffs. Whereas Aquaman (the BB&B version who was a thousand times more fun than Aquaman has ever been anywhere else) was all about the fisticuffs and action and macho bluster over brains. And yet Aquaman saw true heroism in Ryan/Atom and was constantly trying to bring it out in him. That made Ryan a much more interesting character than Ray Palmer was when he finally showed up (as a retired Atom who'd hooked up with a bunch of tiny aliens and become their resident John Carter/Flash Gordon).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 11:08 PM   #548
kirk55555
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Ryan Choi was a recurring character in Batman: The Brave and the Bold, where he had a pretty fun mismatched-partners double act with Aquaman. He was an interesting character there because he thought of himself more as a scientist than a superhero and had little patience with all the macho fisticuffs. Whereas Aquaman (the BB&B version who was a thousand times more fun than Aquaman has ever been anywhere else) was all about the fisticuffs and action and macho bluster over brains. And yet Aquaman saw true heroism in Ryan/Atom and was constantly trying to bring it out in him. That made Ryan a much more interesting character than Ray Palmer was when he finally showed up (as a retired Atom who'd hooked up with a bunch of tiny aliens and become their resident John Carter/Flash Gordon).
Choi was pretty cool in B&TB (as was Aquaman, of course). That said, I'm glad we're getting Ray Palmer as Atom, and Ronniew Raymond. I was never a fan of the second Firestorm, and I barely know Choi. Just because we sometimes get new versions of some heroes doesn't mean the originals need to be thrown away. Heck, maybe Ray could lead to Ryan sometime. Either way, its cool to see some of the more obscure DC characters at least get a bit of an appearance, even if they don't become heroes (although I really hope they do become Atom and Firestorm at some point).
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 11:09 PM   #549
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Interesting...
Old July 10 2014, 12:44 AM   #550
Technobuilder
Commodore

I feel like I just had an "A-Ha!/Eureka!" moment while re-watching The Flash Pilot again...

Dr. Harrison Wells...
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 02:40 AM   #551
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Oh for fuck's sake, how did any of us not catch his name?!
Old July 10 2014, 03:55 AM   #552
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

When they used that name on
as cheese for a trap to route the heroine, I rolled my eyes until the end when it was explained that the Villain of the piece, had looked through the phone book until he had found "that name" and then with humour, engineered that whole weeks escapade around the stunning coincidence that such a person existed.

Old July 10 2014, 03:57 AM   #553
Agent Richard07
Retired

How long until we see Professor Martin Stein?
Old July 10 2014, 04:01 AM   #554
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Hopefully we'll get the Ronnie and Jason team-up instead of Professor Stein.
Old July 10 2014, 04:05 AM   #555
Agent Richard07
Retired

^ Given that this is the CW, it wouldn't surprise me if they went that route. Either that or a young and handsome Martin Stein who's more of a TA.