Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 12 2014, 06:29 AM   #256
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: FLASH series being developed for The CW

Christopher wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Burton's Batman, The Flash and Lois & Clark could have taken place in the same universe.
I'm not sure how you fit L&C in there, since it didn't have the blend of '40s Art Deco and modernity that the other two had.
Lois & Clark does kind of have the same style. Maybe it's the WB lot that does it. Besides, Metropolis is often portrayed as brighter and less gothic than Gotham, so I don't think there's necessarily a conflict. And on top of that, we saw the Burton Batmobile in Lois & Clark, presumably stolen from Batman.

Personally I believe that The Flash takes place in the DC Animated Universe, the same reality as Batman:TAS, Superman:TAS, Justice League, etc. It shares the retro-modern aesthetic of B:TAS, and its version of the Trickster shows up in Justice League Unlimited's "Flash and Substance." Also, it had music by Shirley Walker, and her Flash motif from the series is revived in S:TAS's Flash episode "Speed Demons."
I could see a connection but always dismissed it because one show is live-action and the others are animated. Mark Hamill as the Trickster in both was a nice touch though.

True, there are a couple of inconsistencies in that theory, like the scene where Barry walks his dog past posters for Superman and Batman movies, predating Superman's public debut in the DCAU by several years. But there are similar inconsistencies within the DCAU. An early Static Shock episode, from before it was retroactively merged into the DCAU, has its main characters referring to Clark Kent as Superman's secret identity, as if he were a fictional character. And a Superman: TAS episode has Lois allude facetiously to Wonder Woman, years before Diana of Themyscira dons that identity in Justice League. So if those continuity glitches aren't dealbreakers, neither is this one.
Ah! Didn't know that The Flash had Superman and Batman posters. That kind of kills it. Awfully generous of you to let that go.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2014, 04:07 PM   #257
Christopher
Writer

Lois & Clark does kind of have the same style. Maybe it's the WB lot that does it. Besides, Metropolis is often portrayed as brighter and less gothic than Gotham, so I don't think there's necessarily a conflict. And on top of that, we saw the Burton Batmobile in Lois & Clark, presumably stolen from Batman.
Well, I guess the DCAU had a similar difference in design between Gotham and Metropolis. Still, I don't see that much similarity in style.

I could see a connection but always dismissed it because one show is live-action and the others are animated.
I don't see why that should be a dealbreaker. Several live-action franchises have had animated continuations that are meant to be in the same reality -- Star Trek: TAS, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Godzilla: The Series, etc. Doctor Who has a couple of canonical animated installments, The Infinite Quest and Dreamland (the latter of which had a sequel in The Sarah Jane Adventures). The Batman: Gotham Knight anime anthology is meant to be in the Nolan Batman continuity. There are even rare cases of animated franchises spawning in-continuity live-action continuations, like Ben 10 (although the first live-action movie was later retconned as an alternate timeline -- but still part of the overall multiverse) and Code Lyoko.

Mark Hamill as the Trickster in both was a nice touch though.
But it wasn't just Hamill playing the role, it was the same version of the character -- same costume, same mentally ill characterization (a little tamer, but that's because he'd been on antipsychotic meds for years by that point.)

Ah! Didn't know that The Flash had Superman and Batman posters. That kind of kills it. Awfully generous of you to let that go.
My point is that there are equivalent contradiction in other DCAU productions, and those contradictions have been glossed over by the producers and fanbase alike in order to keep up the pretense that Static Shock, S:TAS, and JL are in the same reality. So if the others can be glossed over, so can this one. It would be a double standard to say otherwise.

Of course, the '90 Flash features Barry Allen and the DCAU features Wally West, but Barry passed on the mantle to Wally in the comics, so there's no reason he couldn't have done the same in that reality.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2014, 04:11 PM   #258
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Praetorian Guard wrote: View Post
Speaking of the 90's Flash, John Wesley Shipp will have a recurring role in the new series:

John Wesley Shipp, who played Barry Allen/the Flash in the titular 1990s live-action CBS program, will have a mysterious role in the CW and Warner Bros. Television’s pilot of the same name.

While exact details of the part are being kept under wraps, the CW did say that it is intended to be a recurring guest star if the “Arrow” spinoff is picked up to series.
http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/flas...ot-1201098664/
Saw that this morning on my facebokk feed from SHH. Fantastic new!

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Maybe he'll be Jay Garrick.

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
Awesome.

Random thought: Jay Garrick?
I think we are all hoping for that.

Not surprising, but great news none the less.

How long 'til they get Amanda Pays and Alex Désert onboard?
It would be great to get both those actors on-board for guest spots too. I am officially getting very excited for this show!
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 02:26 AM   #259
JD
Admiral

IGN's writer also say "please be Jar Garrick" in his article, so that seems to be the popular theory/desire right now.
Old February 13 2014, 02:30 AM   #260
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I just want to see that Mercury helmet.
Old February 13 2014, 02:36 AM   #261
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Jay would be awesome, but I don't see them doing it. What good is the character if he wasn't the first Flash? I think Shipp playing Henry Allen, Barry's incarcerated father, seems the more likely option.
Old February 13 2014, 02:52 AM   #262
Christopher
Writer

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
I think Shipp playing Henry Allen, Barry's incarcerated father, seems the more likely option.
Ooh, good idea. I agree with you, I don't see the value of using Jay Garrick beyond fanboy nostalgia. Easter eggs can be fun, but good storytelling is more important, so a character shouldn't be used unless there's a meaningful story reason. Barry's father has significance to the story in a way that a non-powered Jay Garrick would not.

Old February 13 2014, 05:08 PM   #263
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

JWS! Respect has been paid!
Old February 13 2014, 06:11 PM   #264
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

There's no reason Jay Garrick has to be non-powered, especially of they go the whole parallel dimension route.
Old February 13 2014, 06:23 PM   #265
Christopher
Writer

Well, the Arrow universe was pretty grounded in the first season, and superpowers are being treated as something fairly new and anomalous. If there had been a superpowered Jay Garrick in the past, he couldn't have been openly famous as the Flash -- and then what would be the point of his character?

Old February 13 2014, 06:51 PM   #266
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I think The Seeker means that Jay Garrick might be the Flash from an alternate dimension, whether it's called Earth 2 or something else, who comes over into Barry Allen's dimension. That way you could have Jay Garrick as a super-powered Flash without him being a figure from the past of the Arrow timeline.
Old February 13 2014, 06:59 PM   #267
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I think alternate dimensions is another level of the fantastic that they won't want to open from the start. That type of stuff usually gets saved for season 3 or so.
Old February 13 2014, 07:37 PM   #268
Christopher
Writer

Right. I don't want the grounded nature of the Arrowverse to be tossed out the window altogether.

And again -- it would be wrong to force Jay Garrick into the story just because he was prominent in the comics. This needs to work as its own independent narrative, and characters should be chosen because they serve a purpose to this story. Barry's father seems to be a more relevant character here.

Old February 13 2014, 07:38 PM   #269
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Yes, that's what I meant Out Of My Vulcan Mind.

They're using a particle accelerator to give Barry his powers so they're already going pretty far out there. Who's to say the same accident didn't also open up a portal to a parallel dimension?

And again -- it would be wrong to force Jay Garrick into the story just because he was prominent in the comics.
Jay Garrick was reintroduced in Flash comics precisely because the fans wanted to see him again. I don't see why that's not a good reason for his inclusion in the new TV show.
Old February 13 2014, 07:47 PM   #270
Christopher
Writer

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Jay Garrick was reintroduced in Flash comics precisely because the fans wanted to see him again. I don't see why that's not a good reason for his inclusion in the new TV show.
Because that's a shallow and mercenary way to tell a story. A story needs to be driven by its own internal logic and character dynamics. Shoehorning things in just because it'll give a bunch of fanboys a thrill of recognition is a crappy way to write. If you can incorporate it in a way that's actually relevant and meaningful to the story you have to tell, then yes, fine, absolutely, do it. But the internal integrity of the story needs to be the higher priority.