Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 22 2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

So, lets talk "Blade Runner" ....

I just watched the "Final Cut" with the ambiguous ending of whether or not Rachel lives or dies....and the ambiguous insertion of a unicorn scene that wants to tell the audience that Deckard may or may not be a Replicant. (I'm okay with the ending, but I would rather the unicorn scene not be there....since that is an element not really followed up on in the film).

There is a big plot hole that I found, however: If Rachel had been working with Tyrell, and he knew that replicants were illegal on Earth....why did he ask Deckard to perform the test to see if she was a replicant? Why was he allowing her to work for him knowing she would be in danger eventually?

Note: I still have the original cut to watch again - I've not seen it for years - as well as the 'international' cut and 'director's cut.'

Last edited by Joel_Kirk; August 22 2014 at 11:39 AM.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 11:17 AM   #2
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Re: So, lets talk "Blade Runner" ....

Never heard of it. Is it any good?

They all wanted to see how good the Voigt-Kampff actually was on a Nexus 6.

The clue is in the cop saying to Deckard "Now there's a Nexus 6 over at Tyrell Corp..."
Old August 22 2014, 11:22 AM   #3
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Since the Tyrel Corp makes the replicants, I imagine they have leeway in having them on Earth for experimentation and development. Tyrel tells Deckard she's an experiment in implanting memories which Tyrel is using Deckard to check out the effectiveness of.

More than the Unicorn is part of Deckard's background. The changing number of Replicants, for instance. We're told six escaped, four are at large and one was killed in the attempt to get into Tyrel Corp so where is the last? Deckard is given only four names and pictures so what about that unaccounted for one? The chief gives Deckard a couple of odd looks especially when the question of the voidcomp not working if these new brain implants work. Then there is Roy knowing Deckard's name at the end though they've never met during the investigation. There's a lot that can make the viewer wonder about Deckard.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 12:02 PM   #4
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post

The clue is in the cop saying to Deckard "Now there's a Nexus 6 over at Tyrell Corp..."
The "Final Cut" takes away Ford's narration, brightens up certain scenes visually so you can see landscapes and backgrounds, adds certain scenes of violence (e.g. Roy killing Tyrell, Deckard killing Pris, Deckard killing Zhora). And, very possibly adds some footage to certain scenes - one scene being the aforementioned unicorn scene.

I personally prefer the film without the narration since it adds less of a distraction, and allows me to focus on the film rather than hearing what I'm supposed to get out of it. (Without the narration, it's basically "showing not telling").

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Since the Tyrel Corp makes the replicants, I imagine they have leeway in having them on Earth for experimentation and development. Tyrel tells Deckard she's an experiment in implanting memories which Tyrel is using Deckard to check out the effectiveness of.

More than the Unicorn is part of Deckard's background. The changing number of Replicants, for instance. We're told six escaped, four are at large and one was killed in the attempt to get into Tyrel Corp so where is the last? Deckard is given only four names and pictures so what about that unaccounted for one? The chief gives Deckard a couple of odd looks especially when the question of the voidcomp not working if these new brain implants work. Then there is Roy knowing Deckard's name at the end though they've never met during the investigation. There's a lot that can make the viewer wonder about Deckard.
Ah, so there is a fifth at large....

In regards to Roy knowing Deckard even though they haven't met, we can attribute that to Roy knowing that Deckard was on the case to take them down. Zhora had already been killed by a Blade Runner, and Leon was killed while confronting Deckard...as well as Pris. (Roy seems to know how to put together facts based on little information, hence the reason they're a lot more than robotic slaves).

Still, the fifth replicant possibly being Deckard is interesting. I do wonder if that "is he or isn't he?" will be followed up on in the tentative sequel?

As for Rachel: So, since she was part of the Nexus 6, she was to be 'retired.' However, if she was just a replicant working for Tyrell...she possibly would have been allowed to roam free, or at least a 'free' as a replicant would be allowed, as long as a Blade Runner didn't find her outside Tyrell's complex without supervision.
Old August 22 2014, 12:10 PM   #5
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

The changing number of Replicants, for instance. We're told six escaped, four are at large and one was killed in the attempt to get into Tyrel Corp so where is the last? Deckard is given only four names and pictures so what about that unaccounted for one?
The Final Cut corrects the arithmetic error.
Old August 22 2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post

The "Final Cut" takes away Ford's narration, brightens up certain scenes visually so you can see landscapes and backgrounds, adds certain scenes of violence (e.g. Roy killing Tyrell, Deckard killing Pris, Deckard killing Zhora). And, very possibly adds some footage to certain scenes - one scene being the aforementioned unicorn scene.

I personally prefer the film without the narration since it adds less of a distraction, and allows me to focus on the film rather than hearing what I'm supposed to get out of it. (Without the narration, it's basically "showing not telling").

In regards to Roy knowing Deckard even though they haven't met, we can attribute that to Roy knowing that Deckard was on the case to take them down. Zhora had already been killed by a Blade Runner, and Leon was killed while confronting Deckard...as well as Pris. (Roy seems to know how to put together facts based on little information, hence the reason they're a lot more than robotic slaves).

Still, the fifth replicant possibly being Deckard is interesting. I do wonder if that "is he or isn't he?" will be followed up on in the tentative sequel?

As for Rachel: So, since she was part of the Nexus 6, she was to be 'retired.' However, if she was just a replicant working for Tyrell...she possibly would have been allowed to roam free, or at least a 'free' as a replicant would be allowed, as long as a Blade Runner didn't find her outside Tyrell's complex without supervision.
None of this has anything to do with what I posted. I was answeriing a question in the OP.
Old August 22 2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post

None of this has anything to do with what I posted. I was answeriing a question in the OP.
He might be unaware you're a replicant. Use that.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Old August 22 2014, 12:22 PM   #8
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I'll start misquoting Blake. That should do the trick.
Old August 22 2014, 01:53 PM   #9
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Am I the only one who's never watched the theatrical cut of Blade Runner? My first introduction to the film was the 90's director's cut on VHS and I didn't get my hands on the theatrical cut until the final cut box set that came with all the different versions.

When I tried to watch it, I couldn't get more than 20 mins in. The narration was awful in every sense and it's clear Ford was not having a good time with the copy. Maybe it's because I was "spoiled" by seeing the DC first, but I have a really hard time figuring out why so many people actually prefer the narration.

Last edited by Reverend; August 22 2014 at 11:41 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 01:56 PM   #10
Pingfah
Admiral

Are you trolling? You told me you would get The Final Cut on Blu Ray just a few months ago.
Old August 22 2014, 02:02 PM   #11
Forbin
Admiral

The narration was awful. A lame and needless "homage" to the old noir first-person detective novels. When that final bit starts ("I don't know why he didn't kill me...") right after that gorgeous bit of poetry from Hauer, a friend of mine actually gave out a frustrated moan and said "Oh, shut UP!"
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 02:11 PM   #12
Gov Kodos
Admiral

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
The changing number of Replicants, for instance. We're told six escaped, four are at large and one was killed in the attempt to get into Tyrel Corp so where is the last? Deckard is given only four names and pictures so what about that unaccounted for one?
The Final Cut corrects the arithmetic error.
Thanks, I'll have to watch it again.

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Are you trolling? You told me you would get The Final Cut on Blu Ray just a few months ago.
Trolling? She's a little lamb I tell thee. She is meek & She is mild.

Last edited by Gov Kodos; August 22 2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old August 22 2014, 06:45 PM   #13
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

BWAA HA HA
Old August 22 2014, 06:57 PM   #14
ToysOnLayAway
Rear Admiral

Tyrell wanted to see if the Voigt-Kampff test could sniff out a Nexus 6, his corporation's latest and greatest. Their motto was "More Human Than Human" after all.

Neither here nor there, but there is a scene present in no version of the film, where Roy Batty having just killed Tyrell enters an adjacent room to find Tyrell preserved but dying in a stasis chamber. The Tyrell we see and hear during the movie turning out to be a replicant himself. This kind of further explains his motives.
Old August 22 2014, 07:03 PM   #15
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I'll start misquoting Blake. That should do the trick.
If that fails, another good trick: spinning.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote