Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 30 2013, 07:55 PM   #16
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: We've come a long way baby - world wide web and technology

Yep I remember RealPlayer, you used to need just about every player possible due to all the different types of files, and a somewhat lack of compatability between them.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.

Last edited by MacLeod; July 30 2013 at 08:05 PM.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 08:02 PM   #17
kirsten187
Napoleonic Power Monger

View kirsten187's Twitter Profile

At school over the years I used BBC, Amstrad and Apple computers (years 1985 to 1997)!
Old July 30 2013, 08:06 PM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral

Elite on the BBC Micro, a classic game.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old July 30 2013, 08:15 PM   #19
kirsten187
Napoleonic Power Monger

View kirsten187's Twitter Profile

We were barely allowed to touch the BBCs at school!
Old July 30 2013, 08:26 PM   #20
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Yep I remember RealPlayer, you used to need just about every player possible due to all the different types of files, and a somewhat lack of compatability between them.

Yep, thank goodness for players like VLC now!

And the computers we got to use in school, and I read now that it was primarily an Ontario Canada thing, Unisys Icon computers which were designed for the classroom in mind which had built-in trackballs. The school system kept using them well into the 90's where they really started to show their age against more modern computers. I remember my High-School having two computer rooms, one which was all Icons and the other being PCs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unisys_ICON

Last edited by Owain Taggart; July 30 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 09:07 PM   #21
Data's Cat
Lieutenant

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Actually, Flash didn't even exist then. But there were AVI and Quicktime files which did take tons of time to load.
You're right! My memory was playing tricks on me.
Old July 30 2013, 11:43 PM   #22
MacLeod
Admiral

I actually sat my computer studies GCSE (for the benefit of the non-brits that's End of High School exam)without actually attending the class had to sort of self teach myself, I did manage to get a grade though.
Old July 31 2013, 06:18 AM   #23
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

And the computers we got to use in school, and I read now that it was primarily an Ontario Canada thing, Unisys Icon computers which were designed for the classroom in mind which had built-in trackballs. The school system kept using them well into the 90's where they really started to show their age against more modern computers. I remember my High-School having two computer rooms, one which was all Icons and the other being PCs.

I used those when they were still called Burroughs ICONs - 1984-5ish. I remember using its Paint-like program to draw a picture of the Enterprise orbiting a planet. Most of our class work was still done on Commodore PETs, though.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 07:37 AM   #24
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Our first computer was a 386, 25mhz, 40mb hard-drive, with Windows 3.1. It was second-hand and cost us $1150 (about $1900 in today's money). It used 3.5 disks.

We used it mainly for games. Games were expensive and not that easy to locate in Hobart. To get shareware games I used to have to catch two buses to a store where I look through list of games and the man would download programs onto the 3.5 disks I provided.

Eventually I came across a catalog of games I could order by post.

I did buy some games and other games were given to me by my sister after her children had played them (Monkey Island 1 and 2 for example).

There were some games I paid full price for. One was Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss which I loved. It took me ages to play all 9 dungeons and rescue the princess. I only needed tWo talismen to get out of the dungeon but at the point one of my sons took the game off so that he could put another game on. I was quite annoyed by that.

My family loved Castle of the Winds and we got the first part as shareware (from the mail order place) but for a long time I wasn't able to find the second part which which we so much wanted to play. One day, when I was down to my last few dollars, I saw it in a bargain bin for $8. It bought it but it meant we had to fo without bread but my kids were happy to do that.

In about 1997 we bought a 486 with a CD-Rom but it wasn't until 2000 that I got a Pentium and we went on the internet (dial-up).

Last edited by Miss Chicken; July 31 2013 at 10:57 AM.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 10:02 AM   #25
MacLeod
Admiral

Those were the days when we thought a 40Mb drive was huge.
Old July 31 2013, 03:29 PM   #26
Naira
Rear Admiral

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
Our first computer was a 386, 25mhz, 40mb hard-drive, with Windows 3.1.
Do you remember what year that was?

We used to have a terminal at home, connecting via dial-up to the mainframe at my father's workplace. So, no games for me at home. However, I remember using some text-browser to read things on-line (nothing much though). We got our first PC in 1997, it was a 133mhz, 2GB hard-drive one. My father got hold of a beta version of Windows 98 to install.

I remember using some software to split .zip files because .mp3s began to appear and they often could not fit into one hard-disk!
Old July 31 2013, 10:00 PM   #27
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

^^^It was 1993, the year my number 2 son started high school.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 06:13 AM   #28
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post

I used those when they were still called Burroughs ICONs - 1984-5ish. I remember using its Paint-like program to draw a picture of the Enterprise orbiting a planet. Most of our class work was still done on Commodore PETs, though.

We never got near PETs, though maybe that's more due to the different timeframe? The ICONs were generally slow as molasses. They felt very clunky to use. I was more happy when we didn't have to use them even though I loved computer class.

Heh, I just love the wide-eyed optimism of the early days of the Internet as shown in this video:

And slightly different is a retro-futuristic view of an interconnected system as viewed from the 60's:

Last edited by Owain Taggart; August 1 2013 at 06:28 AM.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 06:30 AM   #29
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

My earliest computer memories are of my cousin's PC that only ran on MS-DOS, and if you couldn't remember or find the path you needed to type for the game you wanted to play you were screwed.
Old August 2 2013, 05:21 AM   #30
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Red nosed and loving it

You guys are all way, way too young. My first computer memories all involve TRS-80 Model 3s (aka Trash 80), cassette tape drives, monochromatic displays, and televisions used as monitors due to cost of monitors.

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is offline   Reply With Quote