Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 25 2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

I recently saw a 1986 interview with the cast around the time The Voyage Home came out and they were being interviewed on the set of the Enterprise. As we all know, the Enterprise doesn't make an appearance in the movie until the last two minutes of the movie.

So that just leads me to ask, was it a surprise ending or did you know the Enterprise was going to return?
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 07:54 PM   #2
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

For me, it was a surprise because I remember in discussions at various cons after Star Trek III that Kirk and the gang were going to get the Excelsior.
Old May 25 2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
For me, it was a surprise because I remember in discussions at various cons after Star Trek III that Kirk and the gang were going to get the Excelsior.
Didn't the DC series run with that for awhile?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 09:18 PM   #4
xvicente
Commander

I didn't know about it beforehand, so I can say it was a surprise.

But not a big surprise. At that point the movie already had effectively ended.

Then came V with its lame sfx and photography, and then VI with the borrowed TNG sets so -A was never a big thing for me.

I bought an AMT model at the time and first thing I did was snip the "-A" from the decals

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 09:19 PM   #5
MacLeod
Admiral

I'd say it was a suprise. Remember 1986 was pre-internet. So it was much easier to avoid spoilers.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 09:22 PM   #6
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Didn't the DC series run with that for awhile?
Yup. They cleverly (IMO) stretched out the time between Star Trek III and IV to have quite a few adventures.
Old May 25 2013, 09:23 PM   #7
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Yes, absolutely a surprise for me. I remember there be much discussion about what would happen to the ex-Enterprise crew. As has been mentioned, some thought that--as in the DC Comics version--Kirk and Crew would be assigned to Excelsior.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 10:48 PM   #8
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Not for me. TVH was my introduction to Trek. I was five and had no idea what was going on. I just knew it looked awesome.
Old May 25 2013, 10:56 PM   #9
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Here's an example.

Off topic, by why is David Hartman talking with his hand up like that? Is he imitating Uhura?
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 11:05 PM   #10
G2309
Captain

View G2309's Twitter Profile

I heard that they wanted the newEnterprise to be an Excelsior class as it was easier for the sfx crew tofilm. I didn't realise that there were plans for the crew to take the excelsior itself.

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 11:44 PM   #11
Dukhat
Commodore

No, it wasn't a surprise for me because the stupid trailer tv commercial before the movie came out showed the Enterprise-A.
Old May 26 2013, 12:22 AM   #12
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Right! I remember that now.

Yeah, that was a popular theory among my immediate circle of Trekkie friends and associates.

I remember seeing Leonard Nimoy at a convention a few months before the movie came out. I'm pretty sure he didn't mention a new Enterprise at all . . . although he did tease the pon faar scene just a bit.
Old May 26 2013, 01:12 AM   #13
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I think STARLOG reported on this, or maybe ENTERPRISE INCIDENTS if it was still around, but there was a convention in Sept or so of 1986 where a very prominent new picture of the Enterprise over Earth was displayed ... with the -A on it (it's the same pic on the title page of Cinefex 29's article on the film.)

I read about that in advance of the film coming out, so I had a feeling it was going to turn up again, but I was so satisfied with the film (during that first viewing anyway -- up until recently it was the least rewatchable of the movies) that it still kind of tingled when the reveal happened.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:09 AM   #14
TheSubCommander
Captain

I was expecting the crew to get some kind of star ship, and remember thinking it wouldn't be Star Trek if they were on a ship with a different name than Enterprise. I assumed it would likely be the Excelsior, since they introduced it in III, and there is the comics of the time, too. I was just glad it wasn't an Oberth class vessel.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 12:56 PM   #15
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Amasov wrote: View Post
I recently saw a 1986 interview with the cast around the time The Voyage Home came out and they were being interviewed on the set of the Enterprise. As we all know, the Enterprise doesn't make an appearance in the movie until the last two minutes of the movie.

So that just leads me to ask, was it a surprise ending or did you know the Enterprise was going to return?
I don't know if it was a surprise to me. But I was dissapointed a bit. I would've prefered a different ship. I've never been too keen on maintaining the statu quo in a show.

Excelsior would have been pretty cool.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote