Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old August 5 2013, 07:55 PM   #106
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: George Lucas - Why the Vitriol?

BillJ wrote: View Post
While fans, like myself, were screaming about Jar-Jar, it was a savvy move by Lucas. A character that was going to draw in younger audiences.
Right, because if there's anything family-ticket-dragging, toy-buying young boys hate, it's spaceships and laser swords and weird alien creatues and boy heroes.

If anything, Jar Jar probably cost the PT a bit in thwarted repeat TPM ticket purchases. Surely his hugely lessened presence in the following two movies speaks for itself.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 09:23 PM   #107
J.T.B.
Commodore

Gaith wrote: View Post
Right, because if there's anything family-ticket-dragging, toy-buying young boys hate, it's spaceships and laser swords and weird alien creatues and boy heroes.

If anything, Jar Jar probably cost the PT a bit in thwarted repeat TPM ticket purchases. Surely his hugely lessened presence in the following two movies speaks for itself.
That's a good point, but I can easily picture an "Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie"-style marketing meeting where they rhapsodized about the benefits of bringing a funny cartoon-like character to the franchise. In fact, in that Simpsons ep didn't one of them say they needed to "Rasta-fy" the character by a certain factor? Rasta, Jamaican accent...

But that's not to say that it wasn't a valid choice for Lucas to make. He's responsible for a lot of money and a lot of jobs, and maximizing profits is the name of the game. It's not conducive to good filmmaking, IMO, but I understand it.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 09:33 PM   #108
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It did a billion dollars worldwide. Whose to say that less Jar-Jar isn't the reason the other two films brought in less money?
Old August 5 2013, 09:38 PM   #109
MacLeod
Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
^I disagree it's a perfectly reasonable defence.

Director of a movie prefers version B of his movie to version A. Sure some films have the original theatricl version and a directors edition. I think the difference is for the majority of the films the studio not the director holds the rights to the film. In the case of SW as Lucas owned Lucasfilm he owned the rights to his movies. So he could choose which version he would rather have out there.
Obviously.

A reasonable defense would be here are the reasons why, here are the advantages, here are the practical considerations. A simple declaration of personal preference is not generally regarded as a sound argument.

You and I might agree or disagree with his position but as long as he holds the rights he can do what he likes with them.
If you read back in the thread I don't think I or anyone else claimed otherwise. What I am discussing is whether that position is beneficial to the history of the films.
I'm not debating which version should be preserved from a hisotical point of view, merely that as long as he has creative control over the films he can do what he likes with them. If we don't like it we can choose not to watch it/ buy it etc..
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 10:58 PM   #110
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Like boycotting would change anything. People are not unhappy with a product that exists, they are unhappy that a certain product does not exist at all. You can't vote with your wallet on that one. You won't get your local city to invest in busses by not taking the train.
Old August 5 2013, 11:35 PM   #111
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

If anything, Jar Jar probably cost the PT a bit in thwarted repeat TPM ticket purchases.
I know a guy who saw it 9 times, but I know that's not likely to be representative of the general population.
Old August 5 2013, 11:43 PM   #112
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

You and I might agree or disagree with his position but as long as he holds the rights he can do what he likes with them.
And we have the right to dislike him for exercising those rights in the manner that he does...hence this thread topic.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 12:06 AM   #113
J.T.B.
Commodore

I'm not debating which version should be preserved from a hisotical point of view, merely that as long as he has creative control over the films he can do what he likes with them. If we don't like it we can choose not to watch it/ buy it etc..
OK, but the post you were replying to in #93 was specifically about the historical aspect.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 02:44 AM   #114
Locutus of Bored
Too Many Secrets

Set Harth wrote: View Post
If anything, Jar Jar probably cost the PT a bit in thwarted repeat TPM ticket purchases.
I know a guy who saw it 9 times, but I know that's not likely to be representative of the general population.
I saw TPM 13 times when it came out. Granted, I had a theater right by my house at the time and a friend who would get me discount tickets, but still, I saw it a lot of times even with my misgivings about parts of it.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 03:46 AM   #115
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I think the thrill of there being a new SW film, warts and all, had a lot to do with it.

I like to say I saw it 3 times in the theater, but it might possibly have been 4. I honestly can't remember, but I lean toward 3 because I know specifically where each of those took place.

When the DVD first came out I watched it so many times a family member said, "I think you have a problem".
Old September 4 2013, 06:02 AM   #116
trevanian
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

It did a billion dollars worldwide. Whose to say that less Jar-Jar isn't the reason the other two films brought in less money?
JarJar didn't do wonders for ancillary stuff either. I was at CINEFEX at the time, and we pushed that issue -- the whole issue was TPM -- up a full month (only time I recall that ever happening there) to get the issue out while the movie was in release. Basically killed the sales on the previous issue by shortchanging it, figuring this TPM would sell out like the TITANIC whole-issue coverage.

Well, the issue did NOT go like gangbusters, even with an extra month on the newsstands, and I think a big reason was the custom cover they did for us -- a JarJar closeup. Man, EVERYbody knew you needed spaceships or a light saber fight on the cover to scream STAR WARS, yet Lucas and ILM did the mag the favor of highrez Jarjar. Blehh!

By way of comparison, the next issue was a MATRIX cover story that did VERY well indeed ... and was a great damn cover of the docbot
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 10:27 PM   #117
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Lt. Cheka Wey wrote: View Post
I love it how everybody talks about Lucas being a savvy businessman but he almost killed the franchise.
When did this happen?

Episode 1 Budget = $115M Box office Domestic $431M/Box Office World Wide Over $1Billion
Episode 2 Budget = $115M Domestic $302M/Worldwide $649M
Episode 3 Budget = $113M Domestic $380M/Worldwide $848M

3 movies that cost a combined total of less than $350M, made $1.5B. Damn, I wish someone would kill my finances in the same manner. The Domestic Box Office alone was enough to make a profit and keep the Franchise alive
Box office does not mean the films were great. The OT is still held in high regard by many--something that began as the films were in theatres. Can anyone say the same of the prequels?

What--exactly--is of any value in the video gamey prequels? The poor characterization? The overdoses of painfully choreographed lightsaber fights which had no heart? Portman's terrible acting? The Jedi made to look like easily fooled dopes?

What?
Old September 6 2013, 12:23 AM   #118
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Lucas did not almost ruin the franchise because fans didn't like the films. They did very well and the property is alive and thriving. Whether you liked the films is irrelevant.
Old September 6 2013, 01:07 AM   #119
Melakon
Admiral

I'm disappointed that Lucas apparently became trapped by his own creation. He tried to do other things, but the only thing that kept the money rolling in was Star Wars. It's a tragedy when compared with his early promise. The student project version of THX-1138 even got mentioned on network news magazines at the time.
Old September 6 2013, 02:08 AM   #120
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
The Jedi made to look like easily fooled dopes?
read: not omniscient