RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,675
Members: 24,202
Currently online: 670
Newest member: wendelcarree

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 4 2013, 02:53 PM   #76
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: George Lucas - Why the Vitriol?

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Considering they released three-novels in a 23-month period, I'd say Zahn is misremembering. Book one was released in June 1992 while book two was released in June of '93, meaning that book two had already been green-lighted before the first book was released. The dates for release can be found on Wookiepedia.
Heir to the Empire was released in hardcover in May 1991.
The Dark Force Rising hardcover was released in June of '92. So we are still looking at roughly a year between publication of the two books.
Old August 4 2013, 02:56 PM   #77
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The PT has new fans. Of course the fans of the OT didn't like it as much. Yeah, the PT has a different tone. But a lot of people liked that. For everyone who hates it there's one for loves it. Those who dislike it mostly argue "But it's not like the OT!" Well, it wasn't supposed to be. The PT is aimed at children even more than the OT, that's why there's Jar Jar and funny battle droids. That's why there's a friggin Clone Wars cartoon show.
JarodRussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 03:01 PM   #78
Mister Fandango
Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
For everyone who hates it there's one for loves it.
That's not even close to being true regardless of what you're talking about.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 03:12 PM   #79
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Oh hey. Regardless of what you're talking about, it's absolutely true.
JarodRussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 03:30 PM   #80
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Wookiee is not spelled like "cookie".

crookeddy wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote:
Stuff happens!
Because stuff didn't happen in TPM?

Or was it that people didn't like the stuff that did happen?
A lot of the stuff that happened was totally worthless
In other words, "yes".

Trekker4747 wrote:
Hell, let's go a step broader.
Let's not and say we did.

"I hate the film because Jar Jar sucks" is all you need, and it's indisputable as opinion. "Going a step broader" means marching heedlessly into RLM territory by acting as if the film's Jar Jar cooties make it automatically wrong on all levels. There are few ( if any ) films in which nothing happens, and TPM simply isn't one of them.

Last edited by Set Harth; August 4 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 04:03 PM   #81
J.T.B.
Commodore

MacLeod wrote: View Post
They're his films he can change them if he wants to it. You and I may not like it but such is life.
But that's not the whole issue. From what he's said, it seems like Lucas would prefer it if the original theatrical versions deteriorated into nothing, and the sooner the better. Regardless of whether someone has the right to make changes, the "Special Edition" of Star Wars is not the film that people lined up to see again and again in 1977. It's not the film that changed movie making. IMO that film does not deserve to be erased from history.

We've all heard of classic movies that were re-cut, not preserved or suppressed in some way. We've all heard of film historians and preservationists tracking down original prints to a basement somewhere so an original version can be restored. Why consign Star Wars, in advance, to that kind of fate? It could all be done now, and wouldn't take anything away from the SE version. I can't understand Lucas's position on that, I just don't get it.

BTW, IMO history will be kinder to the original cuts than the SEs, they are better movies.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 04:14 PM   #82
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I wonder if a condition of sale mandated by Lucas to Disney was that the Holiday Special will never see the light of day.
The one thing concerning which Lucas has stuck to his guns that I completely agree with.
Actually, I'm hoping we'll get a Special Edition DVD of The Holiday Special, complete with new CGI effects.

You know, the way it was originally intended....
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 04:18 PM   #83
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

While Jar Jar was the worst character of all time, C3PO was rather annoying in the PT as well.
C3PO always annoyed me, even in the OT. While Jar-Jar may have grated at times, at least he was a nice guy at heart, not a stuck-up jackass like C3PO.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 04:39 PM   #84
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I wonder if a condition of sale mandated by Lucas to Disney was that the Holiday Special will never see the light of day.
The one thing concerning which Lucas has stuck to his guns that I completely agree with.
Actually, I'm hoping we'll get a Special Edition DVD of The Holiday Special, complete with new CGI effects.

You know, the way it was originally intended....
You will believe a Bea Arthur can dance with a Walrusman!
Old August 4 2013, 06:59 PM   #85
crookeddy
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
While Jar Jar was the worst character of all time, C3PO was rather annoying in the PT as well.
C3PO always annoyed me, even in the OT. While Jar-Jar may have grated at times, at least he was a nice guy at heart, not a stuck-up jackass like C3PO.
The problem with Jar Jar is that there is simply no purpose to his existence within the movie. C3PO was there to translate R2D2, so at least he had some purpose.
crookeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 07:04 PM   #86
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Actually, Jar-Jar did have a purpose. That was to be the final vote in the Republic Senate which authorized Palpatine to create the clone army. Jar-Jar, in all his innocence, had no idea he was being manipulated. That was the end purpose of the character.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 07:36 PM   #87
crookeddy
Fleet Captain

^ Actually, Jar-Jar did have a purpose. That was to be the final vote in the Republic Senate which authorized Palpatine to create the clone army. Jar-Jar, in all his innocence, had no idea he was being manipulated. That was the end purpose of the character.
Did you get the sense that this was always the plan, starting from TPM? I sure didn't. He was kind of presented as a moron in that movie.
crookeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 07:41 PM   #88
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Even then he was at least used as a plot device to move characters from point A to point B, and then his reference to the Gungan army becomes important in the final battle.
Old August 4 2013, 09:15 PM   #89
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

That's the purpose he ended up with but I highly doubt that was the intended purpose and it still makes the character incredibly dumb as all he was in TPM was low-brow childish comic relief. Hate all you want on C3P0 but we didn't get long, extended, scenes of him just being a complete comic-relief doofus stepping in poop.
Old August 4 2013, 10:34 PM   #90
Mister Fandango
Captain

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Oh hey. Regardless of what you're talking about, it's absolutely true.
No, it really isn't. It's the thing the people with unpopular votes try to delude themselves with in order to make them feel better. If it were true, then *every* vote ever would *always* be 50%/50%. There wouldn't even be a point in voting, in fact, because for everyone who hates something, someone else loves it.

Pure bullshit.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote