RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,377
Posts: 5,504,568
Members: 25,125
Currently online: 597
Newest member: Ted Dave

TrekToday headlines

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 29 2013, 11:37 PM   #16
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: The New DS9 Design: Hot Or Not?

The only real connection the new design has with the old one is an outer horizontal docking ring, but the other features--including a centralized core--may not be unique to DS9 (a number of Federation stations such as Starbase 375 had them).
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 03:37 PM   #17
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The New DS9 Design: Hot Or Not?

SchwEnt wrote: View Post

Strongly influenced by the previous Cardassian design. That's my problem with it.
They tortured the Bajorans for forty years with Terok Nor being their main base. So lets stick it to the Bajorans by replacing it with something that looks similar.

I'm not a fan of the new design. But the great thing about books is that you can pretty much imagine it to be anything you want it to be.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 05:14 PM   #18
Mysterion
Rear Admiral
 
Mysterion's Avatar
 
Location: SB-31, Daran V
Re: The New DS9 Design: Hot Or Not?

Praetor wrote: View Post
What function do the rings serve in the new design? In the old design, the upper and lower pylons were rationalized to be designed to process incoming and outgoing uridium ore.
Bingo. The design of the original has been copied for no apparent reason. Probably no good reason, either.

Then there is that huge window. Catastrophic and massive explosive decompression just waiting to happen. Likely on the last pages of an upcoming novel.
__________________
USS Galileo Galilei, NCC-8888
Prima Inter Pares
Mysterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 07:09 PM   #19
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: The New DS9 Design: Hot Or Not?

Mysterion wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
What function do the rings serve in the new design? In the old design, the upper and lower pylons were rationalized to be designed to process incoming and outgoing uridium ore.
Bingo. The design of the original has been copied for no apparent reason. Probably no good reason, either.
Given that we know nothing about the new station--in the books, it's essentially made only a brief cameo--that's jumping to conclusions.
Then there is that huge window. Catastrophic and massive explosive decompression just waiting to happen.
That's true of any spacecraft with windows. In Trek, though, they generally have a means to minimize that risk (forcefields, and/or the windows comprised of a transparent material that's hard as duranium).
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 09:23 PM   #20
-Brett-
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The New DS9 Design: Hot Or Not?

HoserTrek37 wrote: View Post
...in the event the wormhole is collapsed, cutting them off from help/support.
You do understand that DS9 was located on the alpha quadrant side and therefore wasn't dependent on the wormhole for help or support?

Anyway, the litverse has been on my shit list for a while for ditching the storyline already in progress in favor of the next new and shiny. Unprofessional. Any claim they had of being real literature rather than cheap fan fic died when that decision was made.

All that being said, if DS9 was to be replaced, replacing it with Generic Space Station Model #5 would have been even worse than what they did.

Last edited by -Brett-; July 30 2013 at 11:52 PM.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 11:04 PM   #21
robau
Lieutenant Commander
 
robau's Avatar
 
Re: The New DS9 Design: Hot Or Not?

The whole point of DS9 was this alien looking structure that you think you could only find in deep space. This other stuff looks like something we'll have above Earth someday.
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 01:10 AM   #22
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: The New DS9 Design: Hot Or Not?

It looks like a barbel. Clunky. But who cares, it's not like a space station needs to be attractive. The Cardassians are more design oriented than humans.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 09:27 AM   #23
Shane Houston
Commander
 
Shane Houston's Avatar
 
Location: Louisville Kentucky - Halliwell
View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile
Re: The New DS9 Design: Hot Or Not?

Chief OBrien and Nog had a hand in designing the new station, hence the throw backs to the old one. Me, I hate the fact that Terok Nor was destroyed.
__________________
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 10:05 AM   #24
DarKush
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The New DS9 Design: Hot Or Not?

BillJ wrote: View Post
SchwEnt wrote: View Post

Strongly influenced by the previous Cardassian design. That's my problem with it.
They tortured the Bajorans for forty years with Terok Nor being their main base. So lets stick it to the Bajorans by replacing it with something that looks similar.

I'm not a fan of the new design. But the great thing about books is that you can pretty much imagine it to be anything you want it to be.
I agree with your rationale. Though I'm okay with the new design. To me I think they were going for a Federation/Cardassian fusion, something on book covers that would signify its a new station or remodeled station but still similar enough to the old DS9 for any prospective readers.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 10:17 AM   #25
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: The New DS9 Design: Hot Or Not?

I like it.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 03:27 PM   #26
Rick Sternbach
Fleet Captain
 
Re: The New DS9 Design: Hot Or Not?

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

It was designed by Rick Sternbach and Doug Drexler based on the description at the end of Raise the Dawn by David R. George III.


I like it, although there was a fan-made version I saw months ago which I preferred.
I didn't design any new DS9 station; I was lead miniature designer on the original.

Rick
__________________
Senior Illustrator Emeritus
Star Trek 1978-2001
Rick Sternbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 06:15 PM   #27
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral
 
Seventh White Boomer's Avatar
 
Location: Jono
Re: The New DS9 Design: Hot Or Not?

It reminds me of the NuTrek Spacedock, which I didn't think was a terribly pretty design either. As with others I think it is too like the old DS9. I might have liked something more unique, but I might not have liked that either.

It at least looks more like a station that could guard the mouth of the wormhole than the station that appeared on the cover of the previous DS9 novels where the old DS9 was destroyed. It looked like the OPs image but with more module units. It looked like a orbital habitat rather than a busy trading/defence station as it is meant to be.

-Brett- wrote: View Post
Anyway, the litverse has been on my shit list for a while for ditching the storyline already in progress in favor of the next new and shiny. Unprofessional. Any claim they had of being real literature rather than cheap fan fic died when that decision was made.
I may share your disappointment in the moving of all the TNG-era to the same period and how DS9 got the rough end of the stick as a result, but to more or less call the people involved hacks is a bit much.

Last edited by Seventh White Boomer; August 2 2013 at 06:27 PM.
Seventh White Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 07:49 PM   #28
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: The New DS9 Design: Hot Or Not?

Rick Sternbach wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

It was designed by Rick Sternbach and Doug Drexler based on the description at the end of Raise the Dawn by David R. George III.


I like it, although there was a fan-made version I saw months ago which I preferred.
I didn't design any new DS9 station; I was lead miniature designer on the original.

Rick
Gah, sorry! I meant to say Andrew Probert.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 08:47 PM   #29
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: The New DS9 Design: Hot Or Not?

Jono wrote: View Post

It at least looks more like a station that could guard the mouth of the wormhole than the station that appeared on the cover of the previous DS9 novels where the old DS9 was destroyed.
About that last bit - if you're thinking of what I think you are, that was not intended to be DS9 - just the construction habitat for the workers building it.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 12:03 AM   #30
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: The New DS9 Design: Hot Or Not?

Jono wrote: View Post
-Brett- wrote: View Post
Anyway, the litverse has been on my shit list for a while for ditching the storyline already in progress in favor of the next new and shiny. Unprofessional. Any claim they had of being real literature rather than cheap fan fic died when that decision was made.
I may share your disappointment in the moving of all the TNG-era to the same period and how DS9 got the rough end of the stick as a result, but to more or less call the people involved hacks is a bit much.
It is, indeed, an unfair assessment. It ignores the fact that the DSN line had run into trouble after the first author scheduled to write Fearful Symmetry quit; it ignores the fact that Pocket Books had to lay off the mastermind behind the DSN Relaunch, Marco Palmieri, as a result of the Crash of 2008; and it ignores the simple, and quite reasonable, fact that a new editor had simply decided it was better to move in a new direction than to try to imitate someone else's style. (Just check out Season Four of Community to see what happens when you try to imitate someone else's style instead of using your own.)

I'm disappointed we didn't see the Ascendants, too, but it hardly invalidates all Star Trek novels as genuine literature or means it's all "cheap fan fic."
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.